how do you pronounce Gnome?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it Gnome, or Nome (like the yard art)????

I always say it like Gnome (kinda like Geico) what is the right way?

Thanks.

lannen

Weaksauce
I've always said pronounced it as the english word. But this is from wikipedia:
GNOME is the official desktop of the GNU Project and the official pronunciation of the name is /gəˈnoʊm/ with a hard “G”, although /noʊm/ (as in the English word “gnome”) is also in common usage.

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
I too call it Nome but I know several others, who shall remain nameless that call it ga-knome

bbz_Ghost

2[H]4U
Reminds me of the old "Gno Gnews is Good Gnews..." line on some kids shown many a year ago. And yes, it was pronounced "Guh-no Guh-news is Good Guh-news..." :p

I've always said it like "Nome" but it's interesting to see how the official pronounciation is supposed to be. But is that "Gee-nome" like genome or... Guh-nome... weird

Also Ubuntu is interesting as well. From how I understand it it's "Oo-boon-too" not "Oo-bun-too"

IT'S INSANITY! :)

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
Reminds me of the old "Gno Gnews is Good Gnews..." line on some kids shown many a year ago. And yes, it was pronounced "Guh-no Guh-news is Good Guh-news..." :p
IT'S INSANITY! :)

Gary Gnu!

Anyway, I've always said, Nome.

romeoagogo

Limp Gawd
I've always pronounced it jee-nome, if that makes sense. Like as in 'golly jee thats a gnome!' But after reading this thread just nome seems to stick better.

smizack

Supreme [H]ardness
Like SuSE also. I've see it pronounced soos, susie, & suzie. When you call them tho, they says it like su-say.

Frobozz

[H]ard|Gawd
I say gnome as in yard art.

or the popular WoW race

PopeKevinI

2[H]4U
As I understand it, it's "guhnome" just like it was "guh nutella" and so on. There was a time when I could tell you the origins of this pronunciation, but it's been too long since I cared for me to recall :)

I do get some funny looks from the newer crowd when I call it by its official pronunciation, though.

kent

2[H]4U
"Nome", silent G.

For the longest time ago (like 1998) I called Linux "Lie-Nucks" until I had to call the Red Hate support line for help getting X running. The phone pronounced it "Lin-ucks"

:D

I've always pronounced it like a lawn gnome and I dont quite buy the idea that you are suppose to pronounce gnu as gah-new, I always say new. Like the whole it's pronounces 'jibs' thing...

duby229

2[H]4U
Speaking of pronunciations...

I've always said gnome with a silent g

and gnu as the letters spelled out g-n-u

When I first got started with Linux about 5 years agao, I always assumed that Linus pronounced Linux the same as his name, so I always pronounced it as Lienux....then about three years ago I was watching a web cast that Redhat was giving, and they were pronouncing it the right way, so from then on out, I pronounced it the right way.

For me though gnome with a silent g makes more sense, whether it is right or wrong, as it is more familiar

Stang Man

2[H]4U
I was at SCALE (so cal linux expo) this weekend and there was a Gnome booth. The people working the booth called it "geh-nome." I've always called it "nome", with a silent g, though.

-Axiom-

[H]ard|Gawd
For the longest time ago (like 1998) I called Linux "Lie-Nucks" until I had to call the Red Hate support line for help getting X running. The phone pronounced it "Lin-ucks"

I always thought it was lin-icks.

What is it?