How do you position your fingers on your mouse?

walkman

Limp Gawd
I have always used:
index finger - left click and middle scroll wheel
middle finger - right click.

But since installing a Rat 7 I'm experimenting with the following because the mouse seems too wide for 2 finger positioning

index finger - left click
middle finger - scroll wheel
ring finger - right click

p.s. I just found a previous post on this but I'm going to leave this one up since I'm not asking about gaming use specifically.

Same here LC155. Just tried using my middle finger for the scroll wheel and it feels like using my left foot for the brake pedal while my right foot is on the gas pedal.

index - left and wheel
middle - right

thumb for inner buttons and ring for outer

I've always used my middle finger for the scroll wheel and right button.

i use index for left click and middle finger for scroll and right click ring for outers and thumb for inners basicly exactly like blaze

Same setup as blaze_itt, but I switched to the G9x from the MX518, and found that i'm gripping the mouse like a claw now especially during games.

I went back to my G9 mouse because the RAT7 almost required a middle finger dedicated to scroll wheel -- unfortunatey the tractor tire tread on the scroll wheel was causing a blister after a day of use.

The G9 is clearly designed for 2 finger positioning.

Index for left button and scroll and middle for right mouse button. I tried three-finger positioning with my middle finger resting on the scroll wheel but it just doesn't feel right with my fingers straight instead of spread apart.

i use a claw grip on my logitech g9x, (controling it with my fingers while my palm is on my desk) its built for that grip, but it offers more control and accuracy in fps games.

I use three fingers, pointer for left click, middle for scroll, ring for right click.

Depends on what I'm doing.

Desktop - comfort
Left - Index finger
Wheel - Middle finger
Right - Ring finger

Gaming - fast button response
Left - Index finger
Wheel - Middle finger
Right - Middle finger

Most gamers tend towards this setup, as it keeps the trigger finger always ready. I'd be willing to bet some of you switch to the above when gaming and don't even realise it :)

I use...

index: left click and mousewheel
middle: right click
thumb: inner sidebuttons
ring: outter sidebuttons, only if the buttons are placed in a manner where i can squeeze the button with the base of my ring finger. I'm not flexing my finger to press any buttons with the fingertip--i'm no claw gripper--I have man hands.

After reading some of these posts, i've experimented with some of the other techniques and determined that some of you guys are clearly doing it all wrong :p

Middle finger on the mousewheel? Ring on the R-click? ...Insanity

Last edited:
I position my index finger on left click and mouse wheel. And my middle finger pointing on the right click. I couldn't think of other position that works well because I am comfortable with this. lol :D

Last edited:
I use a claw grip on my Logitech G5, my thumb on the left, pointer finger on left click and scroll wheel, middle finger on right click , ring and pinkie fingers rest on the right side while my palm rests on my mouse.

I'm left handed and use my MX310 left handed, with right handed buttons. If I don't use my right click, I have my index and middle finger on the left button, and I click the right one with my index (switch over). The side buttons I use ring finger for the left side button and my thumb for the right side button.

We should set up our keyboard so that our hands fall naturally on the pad, our arms aren’t overextended. Our palms should touch the pad.

pinky on left click, thumb on right click, hope this helps. Get ready to OWN some fps.

I'm more interested in where people rest their pinky / ring finger at than their index / pointer since most appear to rest those on the left/right buttons.

Do you:
  • Arch your pinky/ring outwards and grab the side of the mouse with the tips of them?
  • Touch the sides of the mouse with the left edge of those two fingers?
  • Rest the ring finger on the top of the mouse and only have the pinky on the side?
  • Any other variation

I ask because I've been having severe accuracy issues and yet to settle on a proper way to grip my mouse. I've already dropped by dpi from 2000 to 1400 which has helped some but my control still feels really bad. Playing BC2 / SC2 I consistently overshoot my targets while sniping or selecting units. If I lower my DPI any further I'll be unable to move across the entire screen / rotate 180 without picking up my hand.

Currently using a G500, also have a G9x. Between the two I prefer the G500. Also using the control side of a Razer eXactMat, which feels extremely smooth but maybe is the real problem? I've tried using the smooth side of the pad but that makes my accuracy even worse. Never tried using a soft pad due to the assumption of hard ones are better.

I'm more interested in where people rest their pinky / ring finger at than their index / pointer since most appear to rest those on the left/right buttons.

Do you:
  • Arch your pinky/ring outwards and grab the side of the mouse with the tips of them?
  • Rest the ring finger on the top of the mouse and only have the pinky on the side?
  • Any other variation

I ask because I've been having severe accuracy issues and yet to settle on a proper way to grip my mouse. I've already dropped by dpi from 2000 to 1400 which has helped some but my control still feels really bad. Playing BC2 / SC2 I consistently overshoot my targets while sniping or selecting units. If I lower my DPI any further I'll be unable to move across the entire screen / rotate 180 without picking up my hand.

Currently using a G500, also have a G9x. Between the two I prefer the G500. Also using the control side of a Razer eXactMat, which feels extremely smooth but maybe is the real problem? I've tried using the smooth side of the pad but that makes my accuracy even worse. Never tried using a soft pad due to the assumption of hard ones are better.

Grip really depends on the mouse, find a grip that feels good to you, stick with it, god aim takes alot of time to acquire, for some longer than others. Keep practicting

Last edited:

Do you:
  • Any other variation

At mid-high sensitivity you really should try a soft pad. The increase in control of fine movement will translate to better accuracy.

As for side grip, when gaming I rest my ring finger just outside the right button. My pinky finger almost skims the mousemat.

I prefer ergonmic mice like the G5, but currently use a Zowie EC2 with custom re-modeled buttons. I found the G500 to be a terrible mouse. My single biggest complaint is the shape and rotated grip. This causes all vertical lines drawn to end up slanted.

Index on left click, middle on scroll wheel, thumb just below side back button.

Interesting hearing how people use their mice.

Personally I have...
Right = index
Middle/wheel = middle finger
Left = ring finger

Though when I'm not using the wheel I'll tend to rest my middle finger on the right click.

My fingers lay pretty naturally across the mouse, I dont like palming the mouse and clawing is too uncomfortable for long use, so my fingers just fall across the mouse with my palm just behind the mouse and mostly use my thumb and little finger to move the mouse around.

To me that's the most natural way of using a Microsoft Basic Optical, which I've been using for as long as I can remember. I dont like a lot of the gaming mice because the larger ones force you to palm grip and the smaller ones force you to claw.

For anyone that cares for a followup, I went and bought a soft pad (Steelseries QcK) and extremely satisfied with the results. All these years I thought it was my mouse and grip causing control problems when it was really my mouse pad. Thanks for the suggestion sadbuttrue. I also swapped back to the G9 due to it being smaller than the G500.

I've got the G500 ...

right click - index
scroll wheel - middle
right click - ring

I don't have big hands so my palm rests just on the back, thumb grips just below the extra button and pinky grips on the right side just above the mat.

for FPS games I have the scroll wheel set to knife, back button to nade, forward button to smoke/other and the extra button to F8 which is my Teamspeak hot-key. I find that my fingers are too far apart if I use middle for scroll/right click.

on my mx518

normal left click = zoom / scope
"back button" = fire
right click = sprint
"forward button" = reload
scroll = switch weapon
middle click = crouch
app switch window = show scores

For web browsing, I just use it normally.

I still prefer my magic track pad for browsing though.

I invert all axes on the mouse (so up movement is down, right movement is left, etc) and I then turn the mouse so it is perpendicular to my hand and use my thumb for left click and index for right click

I can't imagine anyone being pro at any game without using this method

Back