How do you people who play online with randoms all the time deal with idiocy?

tzhu07

Gawd
I feel like online gaming with randoms is similar to reading YouTube comments. You have to sift through so much crap sometimes in order to find a gem or two. And after awhile, you just decide that it's not worth reading YouTube comments anymore because it infuriates you too much and is not good for your mental health. I feel the same is true of my experience with the online gaming community.

Fortunately, the HardForum's people are pretty decent overall. I am kind of surprised that it doesn't have an Off-Topic section that you typically find in other forums, but maybe that's for the best since those sections can approach YouTube-level crappiness.

Just don't put too much thought into it? Think about the effort to randomly voice some meaningless drivel and put just as much effort into caring about it. For instance I'm playing some DOTA 2 now whose entire genre is really known for its "witty banter" but I really just find it all amusing :p I mean think about it how much should you really be bothered by random online comments?

You are also better off finding some people you had a good experience playing with and just playing with them.

Also there is a general/off topic section called "General Mayhem" but you need to subscribe to it.

I don't mind the idiocy really, I just hate getting grouped with people who have no idea what they are doing.

If you want a more consistent game play experience you ideally need to find an established community, join and fave the community servers, make sure they have active admins and lots of experienced players, maybe join their voice server (TS/vent) and join the forums. You'll find you have better games more frequently, cheaters and griefers and idiots will be banned quickly.

Beers. I'm usually mega competitive so I end up ready to pop a vein in my neck sometimes when trying to compensate for teammembers blundering into scenery and such. But about a week after playing BF3 I switched to only playing if I was drunk, and enjoy myself a lot more now.

Something fun, I've discovered, is playing with people who take video gaming way too seriously. These people usually aren't n00bs but typically aren't that great, either.

They can be annoying if they spam chat, unfortunately, so I typically jump in and out. Anyhow, Youtube comments are great. Ur missing out.

Deal with it? I just reply with wit, or ignore it... or I just laugh at it.

Anyhow, Youtube comments are great. Ur missing out.

I get a headache reading them, and I can't roll my eyes far back enough at some of the comments. I'm glad I don't read YouTube comments anymore, and the same is true for news article comments on news websites (especially controversial topics like the Trayvon Martin shooting). I never scroll all the way down.

I've long accepted that people can have crazy opinions and views, but there's no need to further stress myself out by explicitly reading them.

I am kind of surprised that it doesn't have an Off-Topic section that you typically find in other forums, but maybe that's for the best since those sections can approach YouTube-level crappiness.

It does, but it's subscription-based. It's called General Mayhem.

I get a headache reading them, and I can't roll my eyes far back enough at some of the comments. I'm glad I don't read YouTube comments anymore, and the same is true for news article comments on news websites (especially controversial topics like the Trayvon Martin shooting). I never scroll all the way down.

I've long accepted that people can have crazy opinions and views, but there's no need to further stress myself out by explicitly reading them.

I'm usually so focused in game and listening to my music I typically don't even really notice ignorant / idiotic comments. I play Starcraft 2 a lot and my favorite function is the block function.

Don't take online gaming too seriously, just remember it's all for fun and if you're not enjoying it then stop playing. You'll also save money on not having to replace smashed keyboard and mice :)

I feel like online gaming with randoms is similar to reading YouTube comments. You have to sift through so much crap sometimes in order to find a gem or two. And after awhile, you just decide that it's not worth reading YouTube comments anymore because it infuriates you too much and is not good for your mental health. I feel the same is true of my experience with the online gaming community.

Fortunately, the HardForum's people are pretty decent overall. I am kind of surprised that it doesn't have an Off-Topic section that you typically find in other forums, but maybe that's for the best since those sections can approach YouTube-level crappiness.

you play with it long enough you either join the crowd of idiots or you just learn ignore it because there isn't a god dang thing you can do to stop/fix it.. btw there is an off-topic sub forum, its called genmay and worth every penny of the 5 dollars a year or 15 dollar life time membership.

I game to forget about the stress of life, so even though I'm generally competitive, I try not to let the little things get to me. If someone becomes truly unbearable I just hit mute or find someone else out of the thousands to play with. It's like my home theater setup, I was so heavily into AVS forums that all of the minor defects were preventing me from fully enjoying my setup, it was never and will never be perfect no matter how much I bitch or dump money into it.

I don't game anymore but when I use to I just didn't pay attention to the chat. Not to mention people always wrote in another language. I never played long sessions to care about who's on my team or who my opponent is. 30min session and I'm out so I can rest, otherwise I'm aimlessly playing while my aim is lagging from getting tired and not learning the game. Quake, Warsow and RTCW will always be closest to my heart. It was good times while it lasted.
Remember, if you are good player and playing on public servers people will approach you and want to be on your team. Often you receive clan requests to join them. I always refuse and some of them get really mad and turn against you, which always makes me laugh and pretty much sums up the clan really. Anyway, Solo games are always the best, I mean come on look at every successful gamer such as Fatal1ty and you get the idea.

Quit caring so much? It's a game. Plus, more idiots = more targets.

Just assume that's how it's going to be... Don't really think about it anymore... Once in a while somebody will stand out for good or ill... The former is a candidate for possibly friending, the latter definitely for putting on the ignore list...

Then move on...

To ignore anti-social behaviour in online games, you really need to be in the right mood in the first place. I know that if I'm relaxed and just looking to have fun, I either ignore any carry-on in the chatbox or laugh at it. If however I start up a game and I am already pissed off or agitated about something "in the real", the histrionics and trolling in the chatbox are much more likely to get me spending more time typing retaliatory pettiness than actually playing the game.

So basically if you're in a crappy mood, stick to single-player or play with friends.

So many online games and not one person made a mod to disable console chat. At least I can't think of one on top of my head that had "hide text" check box or /command trigger.

Its called a "mute all".

x2. When I'm not in the mood, I just mute everyone and enjoy the game.

or laugh at the people trolling, and the reactions/responses they get from other players. I don't participate in it, but it can be quite amusing to hear someone lose their shit over a 13 year old with an attitude lol

Playing with randoms just doesn't present any kind of enjoyment to me anymore, so I simply don't play online unless I'm going on specifically to play with friends.

In BC2/BF3, you often have to just move around until you find the right balance of what you're looking for. I can't stand the people who try to rally everyone or bitch about others play styles or try to impose some kind of structure - good players should understand the gaps and generally try to mitigate them and we don't need someone trying to regiment the whole squad or team.

If you play on the same servers, eventually you start to recognize a few dozen people and you know who you like to play with and you you try to avoid.

I think most people tend to torment the whiners and the immature but I've also seen that when people ask for help in a mature way, they generally get it.

Not many things push my buttons, but comments like "Rocket n00b!" really work. I don't understand why people announce what irritates them - if you complain about what I'm doing, I'm only going to do it more.

Not many things push my buttons, but comments like "Rocket n00b!" really work. I don't understand why people announce what irritates them - if you complain about what I'm doing, I'm only going to do it more.

To be fair, using RPG on infantry is very n00by :D

The way I've dealt with the random toilet urgents over the years is when my team is full of morons then I go into lone wolf mode and just seek out to accomplish goals that benefit me.

You have to get selfish online when your team refuses to function as a team. Self preservation is the name of the game.

But its always nice to get on and have a team that actually functions well doing "work" on the other team. It also depends on which game you are playing , if you are playing COD then you are playing the Mecca of lone wolf games. If you are playing BF than you are playing a game that rewards team behavior much more readily. I'm at the point now where I just don't care , I want to get on and enjoy myself regardless of what the team I'm on is doing , if I spent all my time thinking about it I would get horribly frustrated.

The only game type I couldn't tolerate lone wolf mode in for long periods of time are MMO's , you simply can accomplish anything "big" without a solid group or guild.

It also depends on which game you are playing , if you are playing COD then you are playing the Mecca of lone wolf games. If you are playing BF than you are playing a game that rewards team behavior much more readily. I'm at the point now where I just don't care , I want to get on and enjoy myself regardless of what the team I'm on is doing , if I spent all my time thinking about it I would get horribly frustrated.

I completely disagree. I've played plenty of matches in COD (or any game for that matter) with my clan where we straght up dominate the other team because we're communicating and working as a team (same in BF as well) while the other team is running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

On the flipside, I've been in plenty of situations in BF3 where I get stuck on a team that camps, doesn't try for the objectives, and in general gets stomped as a result.

The actual game is completely irrelevant... some players just care more about their k;d ratio (and usually getting the lowest scores on the board as a result) than winning.... or would rather do their own thing than work as a team (the jerks that ride around in a plane the entire match, for example, without getting a single kill)

I do like that the squads sort of help with this though. Your squad really sucks or isn't doing anything for the team? Switch to another squad with people that are actually playing how they should be

lol
the other day in BF3 we started getting called the F word, N word and J word by some little nublet.
He was promptly banned. Have faith in admins ;)

You just don't let it bother you. I almost always mute in game voice. Then I just ignore the rest. Just remember all those people acting like that could be the guy next door, could be your boss at work. Could be anyone acting all normal during the day. Then stabbing you in the back when it's time for a promotion. Point is how people act online is a reflection of who they are in society, so handling what happens in a game is just like handling everything else you do. If you dont believe me just think about road rage, and driving. Yeah now you know..

Why are you all interpreting his meaning as being the stuff that's spoken in games? He likened it to reading youtube comments in that it was idiotic and frustrating, but he wasn't referring to in-game comments, I don't think, as much as the gameplay.

Like... read the post. Some dense ones in here. Amusingly enough missing the point as wholly as most youtube commenters. Or am I crazy?

I barely ever play online games with randoms anymore. Too infuriating.

You get infuriated? I personally think the idiocy is funny.

To a point. But lines are often crossed and with little to no regard.

I get sick of idiots drilling each other like its some kind of "high five" bro match to see which one fails to do it fast enough.

Some joking around is welcomed but the Internet often takes things too far.

Why are you all interpreting his meaning as being the stuff that's spoken in games? He likened it to reading youtube comments in that it was idiotic and frustrating, but he wasn't referring to in-game comments, I don't think, as much as the gameplay.

Like... read the post. Some dense ones in here. Amusingly enough missing the point as wholly as most youtube commenters. Or am I crazy?

That was my understanding as well.

- Trash talk is common and a non-issue. I mean, really, it's that easy to ignore.
- People being stupid morons and not PTFO/camping all the time/etc., now that is just fucking annoying and rage-inducing, not to mention hard to ignore in a "team"-oriented game like Battlefield. It's not like you can lone-wolf to victory.

That's the reason why I stopped playing BC2 and (along with other reasons) BF3. Stupid people everywhere. It was either stop playing or start taking high blood pressure medication.

I really don't understand it, i play on public servers all the time and as a result random people and have no problems. Though, I usually do jump from server to server initially to get a feel of the server and its population.

It's funny how everyone seems to think everyone else is an idiot in online gaming. Those idiots no doubt think the exact same about you.

I don't engage annoying people, and go out of my way to engage those who are friendly and seem willing to make attempts at teamwork.

Then I add them to my friends list. If I can play with them, I do, if not I find some more new friends or just play single player instead.

Back