Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Speaker control only...

Votes: 58 53.2%
  • A combo of both...

Votes: 48 44.0%

• Total voters

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
I was just wondering. I usually leave my Windows volume control maxxed and then use the control on my speaker as the main control. What aobut you guys?

I do the same thing max out the windows control and just use my remote speaker control that has volume, bass and an on-off button.

So, you're running the soundcard opamps maxed out, and then amplifying the resulting signal with your speaker rig? Try setting the main soundcard output to ~%33. Use the speaker levels from there.

GodsMadClown said:
So, you're running the soundcard opamps maxed out, and then amplifying the resulting signal with your speaker rig? Try setting the main soundcard output to ~%33. Use the speaker levels from there.

Interesting idea, I think I'm gonna try that when I get home.

GodsMadClown said:

Basically what I do with the exception of tiny adjustments done with windows controls (from my keyboard)

I voted "speaker control", as I use the gain knob on my headphone amp.

GodsMadClown said:

What are the advantages of this? I usually leave soundcard volume at 100%. I will have to give this 33% thing a try...

jamezzz122 said:
What are the advantages of this?
Keeps the sound card from clipping...and it will also lower the noise floor. The downside to using the windows volume control is lose some resolution.
The volume level pretty much depends on what card you have.
Audigy's start clipping at about 60%
Most Realtek onboard solutions start clipping at about 70%
Rev0 starts at about 80% like irons said....

Mister X

Do you know when Nforce 2 MCP-T boards start clipping?

And could you give some sources if possible :)

Yeah I'm just curious to where you have obtained the numbers you say the soundcards clip at.
Or if it is just a guess, or if you are an sound engineer so you have tested the output,or you read it somewhere, etc. :)

If he knows anything, Mister X knows how to tell when an opamp is clipping. He builds solid state headphone amplifiers. Lots. The source is his own two ears.

p.s. And goats. The man knows goats. It must be a Michigan thing.

p.p.s. Do you ever think about building vaccum tube amplifiers?

Windows Max and control through the physical speaker volume.
I find if you set windows low and max the speakers then you hear like this sorta low pitched empty sound.

When I got this A2 ZS Plat, I used to leave the master volume at 100% (as set through the Creative Surround Mixer app). But when I've heard about the muddying effect of clipping (as I've certainly experienced there), I tried various settings, beginning with 33% (which turned out to be way too low, causing even a 500W Continuous RMS amp to clip and produce excessive hiss even at relatively low SPLs). So, I decided to compromise on a setting of 60% - and that is where I will be leaving it for the forseeable future.

EinsteiN said:
Yeah I'm just curious to where you have obtained the numbers you say the soundcards clip at.
Or if it is just a guess, or if you are an sound engineer so you have tested the output,or you read it somewhere, etc. :)
You see, there's this little nifty software called RMAA, and you loop the input and output of your soundcard, and being an electronic monkey he is, Mister X have tested them and came up with these numbers.. ;)

P.S. He ate my first born too :(

Any newer sound card will not generally clip at max level. External ones are great for leaving at 100% because they generally have their own powersupply and it can keep the amps juiced up enough to prevent clipping. I use a combination of my remote on my NX and my knob on my Pioneer amp. I have my PM sub rigged up so that the knob on my amp also controls the volume going into the the preamp of the PM.

GodsMadClown said:
p.s. And goats. The man knows goats. It must be a Michigan thing.
I hope you're not putting down goats. People always give goats a bad name, but I can tell you, I love goats. They're a very friendly animal. Just like fat chicks... you can talk dirty shit and they don't care. It's nice.

:eek:

Goats?
Goats?
WTF? :p

My two ears and experience with these products. ;)

lol I'm the only one that uses a Windows control for controlling volume. Actually, to be right, I use the Hercules Mixer to control the volume.

The only reason I do this is cause I have two different sets of speakers for my surround sound setup... It's taken me ages to get the system sounding equal, and when I want to crank the sound i use the mixer... its easier. Besides, my front speakers are at max volume, so I can't turn them up more anyway.

I have my speakers knob turned up halfway, and then I use the volumn dial on my MX700 duo keyboard. I'm very lazy.

Mister X said:
Keeps the sound card from clipping...and it will also lower the noise floor. The downside to using the windows volume control is lose some resolution.
The volume level pretty much depends on what card you have.
Audigy's start clipping at about 60%
Most Realtek onboard solutions start clipping at about 70%
Rev0 starts at about 80% like irons said....

Hmm, Thank you sir for the info :)

i have every output volume slider in windows at 50% and i control the volume on my Altec ACS48's. That in addition to using the volume knob on my keyboard.

Thanks for the info. I have an Audigy 2 ZS and I am going ot keep it aroun d50% to play it safe. What is this clipping? What does it sound like so I know what I am looking for?

When the op-amp clips, you get distortion. If you listen carefully, the music won't be as dynamic. It sounds strained and overall crappy.

GodsMadClown said:
p.p.s. Do you ever think about building vaccum tube amplifiers?

THAT would be sweet. I have some vaccum tubes laying around I think.

I can't run my Audigy MP3+ at full, it clips. Usually about 2/3 of the way up.

I'm going to upgrade the card soon but it was free so it's not high on my list right now. I don't do much serious listening off my computer.

I have to get up and walk over to the amp to use the knob, so
I use that to get in the right range (ie: sat afternoon level
versus tuesday 3:00 AM level) then fine tune through software.
The nice thing is that I can control the audio & mp3 playlist
from any computer on my LAN. Actually, given ssh, any computer
on the internet. Which leads to some good potential pranks
against the housemates...

Don't want to beat a dead dog, but according to the m-audio control panel, what would be appopriate to keep at 90%, the left/right channels or the master volume? or both?

speakers have a controller for them so you have faster and more customized repsonses

Back