How do you know if your NAS is hot-swappable?

Elpee

Weaksauce
A friend of mine just suggested that I should buy a Lian Li PC-Q25 ITX PC Case that he said it must be good for my new nas and it's hot-swappable. I really don't know if a home Freenas/ Free4nas would benefit from "hot-swappable" and, if possilbe, what kind of mITX mobo should I buy? Or any other requirements?
What about your thoughts? Thank you.

I would not do hotswapping on anything with important data that does not physically provide the capability to slide the drive correctly into the connectors. On my open-frame test systems I more than once heard another drive losing power (head clicking) while I inserted the SATA power plug into the connector. So it is either a hotswap-cage with a carrier or proper carrierless rails for me. And the mentioned case seems to have such rails.

To the best of my knowledge, hot swappability is, and always has been, a part of the SATA specification.

Yes, that is true. And the connectors have been designed around that premise. That does however not explain why optical drives had to use these fragile SATA power connectors instead of the good old nearly indestructible molex connectors.

And it does not mean that all software or even all drivers are hot-swap capable.

Last edited:
Back