How do you install .net framework 3.5 in windows server 2016 with Powershell

How do you install .net framework 3.5 in windows server 2016 with Powershell?

I'm using this guide:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn482068.aspx

and I tried this command:

Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\

and this command:

Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\dotNetFx35
setup.exe

However, I get the following error and I have no idea how to use Powershell because I was never taught in college, but I did buy a book on it and haven't found time to read it:

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\dotNetFx35
setup.exe
Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
One or several parent features are disabled so current feature can not be enabled. Error: 0xc004000d
At line:1 char:1
+ Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source C:\Users\Administra ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:pSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
Exception
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Failed_To_Enable_Updates,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWind
owsFeatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code Feature Result
------- -------------- --------- --------------
False No Failed {}

PS C:\Users\Administrator>

Last edited:
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx35 /all
(I think that's the appropriate command to install the feature and all dependents/dependencies)

If you can use cmd prompt, you can try the above.
Otherwise, the part that pinpoints the issue is: "One or several parent features are disabled"

So it could be that a dependent feature is not enabled, so it therefore cannot enable .Net 3.5

You'll probably need the source for it from the Windows installer, so if you used a usb drive to install windows and it's mounted as D: you'd use this:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:d:\sources\sxs

Yeah you cannot download it. You have to use the SXS folder directory on the install media.

You'll probably need the source for it from the Windows installer, so if you used a usb drive to install windows and it's mounted as D: you'd use this:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:d:\sources\sxs

Thanks this command worked once I put the media in the drive too just like bigdogchris said in his reply.

Back