How do you guys finish games?

My backlist right now of unfinished games...

Dishonored
Borderlands 2 (nowhere near endgame)
Arkham Asylum
SKyrim
Fallout 3
Metro 2033
The Secret World
Alan Wake
The new Castlevania (badass)
Deus Ex HR
The Witcher
Mass Effect 2
Dark Souls

After like an hour I just get bored and have to switch. It feels like ADD, but I don't have ADD. AARGHHHHH!!! Then I just jump back on CS GO and NOTHING gets accomplished :D

Yeah me too. I only play single player.

I have a slight backlog of games I never finished but mainly because I got bored with then. BF3 for example, and even Crysis 3 couldn't hold my interest. I recently finished Tomb Raider cause it was awesome and Max Payne 3 for the same reason.

So I guess it just depends on the game. If its great, I'll keep playing it. If its not it'll sit unfinished like Duke Nukem Forever.

I don't have that many I haven't finished but then I don't buy that many games. If its not something that looks great to me, I won't buy it. That could be a big reason too, I don't buy games just for the sake of buying them.

Depends, I was getting frustrated trying to get all the way through Bioshock Infinite on Hard. I really wanted to finish it and get the story before some other titles came out, so I set it to Easy and enjoyed the rest of the game. The other way is a good friend and I will get a game at the same time and talk about it at work as we progress, sharing experiences. Another thing that helped me get through games like Skyrim, Fallout, and Borderlands was to not worry so much about side quests. I'd find myself going off the main story line for long periods of time, constantly distracted by side quests and I would get burnt out and put the game down for a while. Which made it more difficult to get back into if I had moved on to something else.

On the flip side, some games just don't hold my attention regardless of how I try to enjoy them. FEAR 3 was the most recent game I tried to finish but never did.

I don't really finish the vast majority of games I play. Why continue playing if I'm bored? Even at $60, as long as I can get 10 hours of enjoyment out of the game, I've got a good deal compared to practically every other form of entertainment ($10 being around the price for a matinee movie).

Also, I view being able to beat a game a sign of a good game. I think most games are flawed, and are way too long for their peak enjoyment value.

Play the games you enjoy playing, uninstall the rest. It really is that simple.

I don't know what to tell you if you're getting bored. My problem is typically just the opposite: I go into a game feeling like I don't really want to play it and end up enjoying it and finishing it within a week or two.

Because I had so many backlogged games, I've been pretty aggressive about it for the past year. Even though I typically buy them on sale, I hate to waste money so I like to get my money's worth for most of them. I think I finished 4 games in September but it helped that I had vacation time from work and nowhere to go (I'm a boring person).

I guess if you feel completely comfortable with buying a game, playing it a little bit and then leaving it, there's nothing else to do.

I only complete games that capture my interest thoroughly. I'll go completetionist within games if I'm absolutely enthralled by everything that's being thrown at me. Tomb Raider (2013) was the last game I beat that I had 100% completion with (not necessarily achievement though).

I'll stop playing a game if the gameplay and/or plot sucks horribly (or make me feel sick).

It depends on the game for me. I only generally play single player games also, but my backlog is way too long (I couldn't even list them all if I wanted to). The games I have finished have usually been the ones that can grab my attention in some manner that makes me want to come back for more. But many times some might start out that way, then it fizzles somewhere in the middle and I shelve it or find another game that grabs my attention more. Though rare the best games for me are ones I not only want to finish but even after anywhere from 10-100 hours make me think it wasn't long enough or I still want to keep playing even though it's over.

I gave up being a completionist (no more launching gnomes into space for me) and generally will play games on easier difficulties to get a more "interactive movie" type of experience.

This generally works out since I try to only play single player games with a solid story attached, and if I want a challenge I'll generally look to multiplayer games.

I ordinarily finish games by getting to the end of them, starting from the beginning.

You are either not that into games anymore, you no longer enjoy those genres, or you actually do have ADD.

I usually play one game at a time interspersed with something I can play randomly like a fighting or racing game.
Generally, once I start a game I tend to go all the way through it unless the game is lousy. I do have a few backlogged titles (like the newer Deus Ex) that I never got around to completing, but I'll eventually make it back to them. In terms of being a completionist, if it's a game I like I'm guilty as charged and will do most anything within reason.

I only play 1 game at a time...no exceptions...that way you get used to the keyboard controls, layout, story etc...the people that switch between multiple games are usually the ones that never finish any game...if multiple games are being released during the same time period then you still play them 1 at a time

I usually force myself to complete the game before I can move onto another title, but it depends on the length of the game and the type of game. Some games I'll put aside and come back to days or even months later, while others I just feel the need to plough through. Right now, the only games I haven't completed for games I own are games I've already played before, or games that I'm only sorta interested in.

I have an ADD-like side, and also an incredibly annoying compulsion to finish a game, even if it is shitty. I have to ask myself if I want to stop playing a game for good, if I might actually want to come back to it. I've sold a game, only to get a strong urge to play it and buy it again. Needless to say, my wife reminds me of this a lot.

If it's a really good game, I usually just go through in one go. Sometimes though I go onto another game for a little bit and come back later to finish it eventually. If you aren't finishing games, I don't think you are buying the right ones?

only games I come back to after taking some time off would be large, open world games like Skyrim where I 'finish' the game first and then come back to continue later on...or if I want to build a new character or replay a game...any other game I would start from the beginning

Dark Souls should never be on anyone's backlog.

Its the best game Earth has to offer. Its the pinnacle of gaming. When our lizard overloads take over earth they will spare our lives because we will have given them Dark Souls.

Stop playing these games
Dishonored
Arkham Asylum
SKyrim
Fallout 3
Metro 2033
The Secret World
Alan Wake
Deus Ex HR
The Witcher
Mass Effect 2

They are not as good as dark souls. Not even close. Dishonored lacks difficulty and compelling game play. Boardlands 2 requires 4 friends for it to be good, Arkham Asylum is a cheesy batman game, Skyrim is for fairy boys, Fallout 3 is too easy, Metro 2033 is so metro, The Secret world should stay a secret, Alan Wake should have died on Wake Island, The New Castlevania is just God of War with a new face long live SOTN, Deus Ex HR if you haven't already played this then just give up on it, The witcher should be put in a wicker basket, Mass Effect 2 didn't leave any last effects.

My backlist right now of unfinished games...

After like an hour I just get bored and have to switch. It feels like ADD, but I don't have ADD. AARGHHHHH!!! Then I just jump back on CS GO and NOTHING gets accomplished :D

Sounds like ADD to me. You should get seen. They do have a pill for that now, you know. :D I have the same problem sometimes. And when I run into the inevitable "I'm tired of this" I just put it up. Some games are only good for quick sessions you know? Ye olde Doom 3 was a good example. Since it recycles a ton of enemies before it introduces a new one, playing through the game one level at a time (per night that is) was a good way to keep the game fresh. Playing through several levels, and several hours on end made the game feel like a chore.

I think Skyrim is sort of that way once you see most of what's generally there to see. At first, when playing it - there are many different discoveries. But after you've played it for awhile and have seen the game for essentially what it is, play times need to shorten up a bit.

And then some games are just a nice ride from start to finish. Alan Wake is a good example of this. It has a very engaging storyline that pulls you into it. Far Cry 3 is also a good example of this. While the story isn't all that good - my desire to kill Vaas and finish the story kept me up later than I should have. Interestingly enough - I still haven't finished the first Far Cry! I was on my way to doing so last year on Christmas break. But when I went to visit my grandmother (14 hour drive), it broke my momentum, and I never got around to finishing it.

The most recent game I finished was this summer - FEAR. I never had a rig that was good enough to play it at the time, and I never got it for Xbox 360 (can't stand twitchy shooters on consoles). I really enjoyed it. From start to finish, it was just a great game.

Dark Souls should never be on anyone's backlog.

Its the best game Earth has to offer. Its the pinnacle of gaming. When our lizard overloads take over earth they will spare our lives because we will have given them Dark Souls.

Stop playing these games
Dishonored
Arkham Asylum
SKyrim
Fallout 3
Metro 2033
The Secret World
Alan Wake
Deus Ex HR
The Witcher
Mass Effect 2

They are not as good as dark souls. Not even close. Dishonored lacks difficulty and compelling game play. Boardlands 2 requires 4 friends for it to be good, Arkham Asylum is a cheesy batman game, Skyrim is for fairy boys, Fallout 3 is too easy, Metro 2033 is so metro, The Secret world should stay a secret, Alan Wake should have died on Wake Island, The New Castlevania is just God of War with a new face long live SOTN, Deus Ex HR if you haven't already played this then just give up on it, The witcher should be put in a wicker basket, Mass Effect 2 didn't leave any last effects.

Dark Souls is a pimple on society's ass. They took a combat control system that failed hard on a mech game and tossed it in a fantasy action/adventure game. They then told everyone it was "hardcore" as an excuse for it being poorly paced, and let people build the game up as some second coming of video game jesus to demonstrate how "1337" they were. Dark Souls wishes it was as good as half those games.

I could never really get into Dark Souls, either. I don't think it's a terrible game, and the difficulty of enemies doesn't put me off, but the general sense of having no idea what's going on does.

Dark Souls is a pimple on society's ass. They took a combat control system that failed hard on a mech game and tossed it in a fantasy action/adventure game. They then told everyone it was "hardcore" as an excuse for it being poorly paced, and let people build the game up as some second coming of video game jesus to demonstrate how "1337" they were. Dark Souls wishes it was as good as half those games.

maybe if you got farther than this \/ you'd be a follower of the second coming of Thor. Jesus is way too tame for this game.
You-Died.jpg

I could never really get into Dark Souls, either. I don't think it's a terrible game, and the difficulty of enemies doesn't put me off, but the general sense of having no idea what's going on does.

I know exactly how you feel. I loved Demon’s Souls on PS3 so jumped right onto Dark Souls. I beat Demon’s but couldn’t bring myself to finish Dark. I liked Demon’s “level” setup much more.

maybe if you got farther than this \/ you'd be a follower of the second coming of Thor. Jesus is way too tame for this game.
You-Died.jpg

I got through 3 or 4 levels. I get really agitated when I can personally handle a weapon better than the character I'm supposed to be playing as. Of course the game is difficult, they have you play as a half-paralyzed toddler dressed up in grown man clothes. Swing wide, hit a wall with the barest tip of your sword, and watch a 3 second animation of your weapon bouncing off and your character recovering ever so slowly, completely missing the target. And then watch a skeleton launch an attack on you with apparently ghost weapons, phasing through solid brick walls to hit you, followed by 3 or 4 cheap hits from his buddies clipping into the walls from all sides. What fun!

I got through 3 or 4 levels. I get really agitated when I can personally handle a weapon better than the character I'm supposed to be playing as. Of course the game is difficult, they have you play as a half-paralyzed toddler dressed up in grown man clothes. Swing wide, hit a wall with the barest tip of your sword, and watch a 3 second animation of your weapon bouncing off and your character recovering ever so slowly, completely missing the target. And then watch a skeleton launch an attack on you with apparently ghost weapons, phasing through solid brick walls to hit you, followed by 3 or 4 cheap hits from his buddies clipping into the walls from all sides. What fun!

I used to think the same thing. Then I tried it out. Swing a sword as hard as you can into an object and you don't have shit for recovery...and forget about doing it in full armor with 1 hand holding a shield.

Most people who think this way are mistaken. The only way to handle a large sword quickly is to not put all your strength into it which in tern means you aren't going to do shit that dragon.....or tree that you are swinging at.

Does this dude look like he could swing any faster than they do in dark souls?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFAKTjOQJwQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUt-rljxKus

The last time I saw a skeleton wielding a sword it did in fact go though solid objects and with the quickness.

What do you think is closer to reality God of War or Dark Souls?

I tend to play only one or two games at a time until they are done and then I move on.

It's one thing not to like a game but to call ds anything close to a bad game is just absurd really. Some people are just too prideful to admit ds defeated them i guess.

I absolutely intend to finish every game i purchase. It may take me years but i usually get around to completing them.

Back