How do you fix Windows 10 with a Linux Dual boot permantly

I ditched Linux.

As far as I'm concerned I didn't ditch Microsoft Windows or Apples Mac, but I am so pissed at Microsoft for making Windows even more restrictive than it needs to be in my opinion and Apple for practically doing the same with Mac OS X or Mac OS or whatever Apple's going to call it now for whatever reason. Also, I don't like Apple dictating what I can do with my hardware, even if I should probably ditch Optical Drives if not especially older mechanical drives, such as 3.5 floppy, definitely 5 1/4 floppy, or even the good old mechanical hard drive. I keep mechanical stuff around because I either know how to use if or have a better chance of figuring out how to use it than most people who either come to me with computer problems or anyone who might be stuck using such legacy technology, even if use of it should be discontinued and flash technology probably should be standard and the only thing used now as Apple is hinting. As for Microsoft though their doing the same thing as Apple practically for the hardware and stripping down operating system functionality too while also adding feature that only people interested in the richness of cultural media care about instead of productivity, like the Linux community does. That's taking into consideration that yes Linux usually does or can still support legacy hardware, which I like because I still find reasons to have to use it. For instance, I still might need to migrate someone out of an older machine and I still have older machines that I want to tweak to the max, benchmark, and then post the benchmark results even if it's already been done. Also, I just want to see my older computing machines run too if nobody sees that as a problem and my biggest problem seems to be the ability to afford hard drives an sufficient enough power supplies at this time.

I do like the almost endless library of great games for Windows though and the ease of use, but I don't like default forced updates and the default disability to resize partition, so I can dual boot easier and that is why I believe Microsoft still has the mentality that they want to be the only operating system, even if they might seem to have a good reason to do so. As far as Apple though, I don't want them dictating my hardware choices, like Microsoft seems to want to do with my choices of operating systems. PC-DOS probably wouldn't have ruled the PC though, but it could have done better if Gary Kildall's life had come to such a tragic end according to how I heard he died because Linux and Windows still would most likely reign supreme, like they do now with Windows being best for gaming and media while Linux dominates server and productivity. I'm surprised Minix isn't doing better now with what Tanenbaum has implemented or said he will implement, which is self healing, a micro kernel, and net BSD for his desired functionality if nothing else, which he said he should have incorporated net BSD all along and didn't realize it. However, I don't like how Tanenbaum claims operating systems are to modern when the real problem is that most just weren't designed properly and lack the features he plans to incorporate into Minix, even if Minix never does end up becoming mainstream like Linux, Windows, or Mac. The only real freedom respecting operating system though is made by Richard Stallmann and the GNU community, but every attempt I made to download it failed for some reason. Therefore, I'm actually kind of disappointed I can't seem to get true GNU by it self without Linux, but that's ok for now and maybe some other day I'll be able to or figure out why I was unable to get it. The two most promising Linux or Linux like operating systems seem to be Linuxmint Debian 2 as a Linux distro, even if the creator and founder of Debian passed away in 2015 and the Linux like operating system that seems to be very promising is Android x86, but I haven't tried Android x86 yet though and can't wait to either just like SteamOS too even though SteamOS is considered dead now or possibly being discontinued.

That is all I'm saying I guess and maybe this thread should come to an end though, since it is old and all that seems to be getting discussed is the old Windows vs Linux debate. However, last I time I used Windows 10, I tried to fix grub so that Windows would boot first instead of Ubuntu and all I ended up doing was messing up my grub entries because I reinstalled grub and purged the old one instead of just editing it. However, when I tried to edit grub from a Live Boot repair Linux disk or Ubuntu 16.4 LTS disc I either couldn't mount the proper partition as read and write or the stupid m key kept identifying as the o key, which I tried changing keyboards to fix the forced keyboard typo and it didn't help. Here's pretty much the example of the mount command I used to try and mount it with read and write permissions:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/sda5 /mnt/part5

and keep in mind that I made a directory for the mount point as follows:

mkdir /mnt/part5

However, it still still said:

bad option

As far as what to do about the keyboard forcing the output of o instead of m when the m key is pressed to type the mount command I don't know what to do except maybe use either an old PS/2 keyboard, a mechanical keyboard or a USB keyboard with a PS/2 to USB adapter.

Last edited:
The easiest way is to have Windows 10 and Linux on separate hard drives. Then use the boot menu on startup. I've had Windows updates mess up Linux a couple times using the same hdd.

The easiest way is to have Windows 10 and Linux on separate hard drives. Then use the boot menu on startup. I've had Windows updates mess up Linux a couple times using the same hdd.

You mean that a large windows update has overwritten the bootloader. Windows can't access linux partitions at all.

You mean that a large windows update has overwritten the bootloader. Windows can't access linux partitions at all.

I've had it happen, it's the reason I always recommend totally isolated separate drives nowadays.

Here’s how Win 10 is dual-boot with 17.04. I don’t have any bugs and Grub is solid rock since 2-3 years. Sda 1&2 are Win 10 default partitions. Into something else, Sda 3 is /boot (256MB) beginning, primary, Sda 4 is default, Sda 5 to 7 are logical beginning of space. Swap is small, I have 16GB of RAM. BIOS mode:

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

NAME FSTYPE SIZE MOUNTPOINT LABEL

sda 931.5G

├─sda1 ntfs 500M System Reserved

├─sda2 ntfs 799.5G

├─sda3 ext2 244M /boot

├─sda4 1K

├─sda5 swap 1.9G [SWAP]

├─sda6 ext4 22.9G /

└─sda7 ext4 106.5G /home

sr0 1024M

sudo parted -l

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags

1 1049kB 525MB 524MB primary ntfs boot

2 525MB 859GB 858GB primary ntfs

3 859GB 859GB 256MB primary ext2

4 859GB 1000GB 141GB extended

5 859GB 861GB 2047MB logical linux-swap(v1)

6 861GB 886GB 24.6GB logical ext4

7 886GB 1000GB 114GB logical ext4

lsb_release -a && uname -r

No LSB modules are available.

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Description: Ubuntu Zesty Zapus (development branch)

Release: 17.04

Codename: zesty

4.11.0-041100rc4-generic

Both are very good OS’s.

Back