How do you fix Windows 10 with a Linux Dual boot permantly

I have a system that dual boot either to Ubuntu Linux 14.0.3 LTS 64-bit or Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, but everytime I use Windows 10 the system has to Update and reboot preventlng me from getting back into Windows 10. If I choose Ubuntu from the grub menu, which is unaffected by the previous I can't get into Windows 10 without doing a boot repair using the Windows 10 installation flash drive. Now it's stuck in an infinite loop of updating and restoring the previous version of Windows 10, so how do I fix this because it's really annoying and I still rely on Windows to fix some of videos and create new ones. Also, to play Windows only games.

Most likely your windows has updated itself to death. Which is too bad since reinstalling windows will totally nuke your bootloader since windows is so stupid that it doesn't check for any other OS than windows for multiboot. So if you have to reinstall windows 10, make sure windows won't format your linux drive/partitions and use a live cd to reinstall grub to be able to boot back to linux.

Do you still have a Windows 7 or 8 license you can use?

10 is a trainwreck, 'updates' sometimes reinstall the entire OS, often breaking programs (or the entire OS) in the process. You'll have better luck with old games on 7.

Run two drives, one with Windows, one with Linux. Use the boot manager built into UEFI/Bios to select which drive to boot from.

I've found this to be the easiest, most faultless way to dual boot with Windows 10 as Windows 10 does not play well with anything else.

Run two drives, one with Windows, one with Linux. Use the boot manager built into UEFI/Bios to select which drive to boot from.

I've found this to be the easiest, most faultless way to dual boot with Windows 10 as Windows 10 does not play well with anything else.

This is what I would do if I had to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux.

+1

I have not tried to dual boot Windows 10 because of the ridiculous update crap, but I know this has been the least painful way to do it since windows xp. This is especially true if you have to re-install windows after the fact...

USB boot to linux, normal drive boot to windows. No harm in putting your boot loader on a thumb drive.

Honestly, I just run windows full-time and have a linux VM or two for the linux stuff I need. I really don't need a graphical linux environment for much.

Personally, I just ditched Windows altogether. I've really got no need for an OS for the masses.

Don't miss it at all.

Personally, I just ditched Windows altogether. I've really got no need for an OS for the masses.

Don't miss it at all.

What I find interesting about what you say here is that you have constantly said things from gaming (at least AAA titles) to OneNote are niche. The interesting thing about Windows to me isn't what it supports for the masses but the things that are sort of niche or uncommon.

What I find interesting about what you say here is that you have constantly said things from gaming (at least AAA titles) to OneNote are niche. The interesting thing about Windows to me isn't what it supports for the masses but the things that are sort of niche or uncommon.

What i find interesting is the way you constantly overstate the importance of Microsoft products in everyday computing.

As I've always stated, as an example, unless you are a professional that absolutely must have Photoshop as it is literally the only product that you can use professionally than stick to Windows - The same goes for Office.

However, 90% of the time, such proprietary software is not necessary for the average user and the use of alternate software is entirely possible with little to no disadvantages. As computer enthusiasts it's time we let MS know that forced propitiatory standards (the standards that office products default to) aren't acceptable. Furthermore, Windows is not worth the cost, it's just not worth the $$ Microsoft are asking for it and neither is Office.

As a fairly advanced user that requires my PC for business, if I can ditch Windows, most can ditch Windows. I never claimed that AAA gaming is niche, nor did I claim OneNote is niche - I claimed that gamers are, in fact, the minority when it comes to PC usage and I've never met a single, solitary person that uses OneNote.

What i find interesting is the way you constantly overstate the importance of Microsoft products in everyday computing.

As I've always stated, as an example, unless you are a professional that absolutely must have Photoshop as it is literally the only product that you can use professionally than stick to Windows - The same goes for Office.

However, 90% of the time, such proprietary software is not necessary for the average user and the use of alternate software is entirely possible with little to no disadvantages. As computer enthusiasts it's time we let MS know that forced propitiatory standards (the standards that office products default to) aren't acceptable. Furthermore, Windows is not worth the cost, it's just not worth the $$ Microsoft are asking for it and neither is Office.

As a fairly advanced user that requires my PC for business, if I can ditch Windows, most can ditch Windows. I never claimed that AAA gaming is niche, nor did I claim OneNote is niche - I claimed that gamers are, in fact, the minority when it comes to PC usage and I've never met a single, solitary person that uses OneNote.

I was responding to you saying that you have no need for an OS for the masses. What you're saying here only reinforces that Windows supports a great deal of things not for the masses that isn't well supported under desktop Linux. I wasn't overstating the important of Microsoft products for everyday computing. Just about any computing device can be used as web browser or do simple document creation.

The cost of Windows is nothing in comparison to the cost of things like a PC VR headset or high-end GPU or the amount of money one could spend on a Steam sale. Windows may not be worth it to you but if one spends hundreds of dollars on a new GPU, what's the point if there no games or software to take advantage of that hardware? Again, something not for the masses. And that's really all I was getting at. What exactly are you doing with Linux that's not for the masses anymore than an advanced Windows user that's bought tons of hardware and software that wouldn't work with Linux?

And if I'm the only one that you know that uses OneNote (you're really missing the boat on just how incredible OneNote is and how prevalent it is I think) then clearly in you're opinion what I'm doing isn't for the masses.

There's no denying that Windows is an OS designed for the masses, this is proven by the (often unfounded) claims by Windows users on these very forums complaining that Linux is somehow difficult to use.

The issue with designing an OS for the Mum (Mom), Dad, Grandmother and Grandfather users to operate is the obvious need for simplicity - With simplicity comes a notable (although often exaggerated) drop in overall OS security. For instance, people often claim that software is difficult to install under Linux. While this is largely exaggerated, my issue with Windows is that software is, generally speaking, far to simple to install....From everywhere! Furthermore, far too many software packages insist on running as administrator under Windows as opposed to a more limited account and UAC is no more than an annoyance when running an Administrator account by default - Designed to force software developers to code software that runs under more limited accounts as opposed to straight Administrator accounts.

I play games downloaded from Steam, and performance defiantly improves with a newer card. I no longer get sucked in by the AAA titles as their time in the sun is usually limited - For $120 - $150.00 for a modern AAA title I want years of enjoyment, not months.

In AU the cost of windows is more expensive than the SSD it's usually installed on - In my mind that's unacceptable.

Last edited:
Way, way, way back, like 1998, I had Win NT 4, Linux, and Win 98 in a menu upon booting, even compiled my Linux kernel. All on a Sony Vaio P2 266.

I know, I'm old.

Way, way, way back, like 1998, I had Win NT 4, Linux, and Win 98 in a menu upon booting, even compiled my Linux kernel. All on a Sony Vaio P2 266.

I know, I'm old.

Not old, you simply come from a generation Where Wintel and Apple were not simply accepted as the only computing devices around. The issue these days is that there's a whole generation that know nothing but Windows - Personally I find that quite sad.

I see techs that I don't really consider to be techs as all they can maintain is Windows machines....

There's no denying that Windows is an OS designed for the masses, this is proven by the (often unfounded) claims by Windows users on these very forums complaining that Linux is somehow difficult to use.

Windows on clients is general purpose that supports a wide variety of users and activities and many of those activities aren't so much for the masses.

I play games downloaded from Steam, and performance defiantly improves with a newer card. I no longer get sucked in by the AAA titles as their time in the sun is usually limited - For $120 - $150.00 for a modern AAA title I want years of enjoyment, not months.

In AU the cost of windows is more expensive than the SSD it's usually installed on - In my mind that's unacceptable.

The cost of the hardware to support the things I do under Windows is FAR FAR greater than the cost of Windows. AAA titles, at least the base versions don't cost anywhere near $120-$150 USD even new and they generally go on substantial sales with a no more than a few months. This forum does have a LOT of people that do like to play AAA titles. When you spend tons of money on hardware like a lot of folks around here, it would be kind of pointless if all of that as for web browsing and simple document creation.

It's not the OS, it's what one can do with the OS. Windows, Linux, whatever, I couldn't care less as long as the Vive I just spent $700 bucks on is supported.

Windows on clients is general purpose that supports a wide variety of users and activities and many of those activities aren't so much for the masses.

Which in no way implies that the underlying intention of the OS isn't to appeal to the masses...

As of late, at least here in AU, the cost of an average AAA title has gone from ~$80.00 to ~$130.00. Perhaps I'm outgrowing certain things, but I can't justify that expense and will in no way encourage it by submitting to it. AAA titles usually go on sale after a few months as the servers are quickly becoming deserted wastelands.

For a good twenty plus years the topic of what OS suits the individual best has been argued to death, the fact remains that most people appear oblivious to usage cases outside of their own. I cannot justify the cost of Windows when I find the free alternative to be better and the fact remains that most of my issues regarding operating systems are rectified by running some form of Linux. If people feel Windows is a necessity, than don't let me stop you from running it just because I can't justify the requirement - Use whatever works best for you. Just bear in mind that your personal choice doesn't necessarily indicate that Windows is the better all round OS.

When you spend tons of money on hardware like a lot of folks around here, it would be kind of pointless if all of that as for web browsing and simple document creation.

The fact that [H]OCP is full of gamers as opposed to computer enthusiasts is blatantly obvious - I've never disputed this point and it's evidenced in many of the comments I read on these very forums.

Which in no way implies that the underlying intention of the OS isn't to appeal to the masses...

Windows x86/x64 client is a general purpose OS that supports a wide variety of hardware and software. As a result it appeals to the masses because it supports so many things. But individually the usage, hardware and software varies tremendously.

As of late, at least here in AU, the cost of an average AAA title has gone from ~$80.00 to ~$130.00. Perhaps I'm outgrowing certain things, but I can't justify that expense and will in no way encourage it by submitting to it. AAA titles usually go on sale after a few months as the servers are quickly becoming deserted wastelands.

Ok, you're not into AAA games and sure I get the your point about cost. If you're not playing any of these games fine. I and many others get a lot of enjoyment out at least some of them, often for years. I'm not much into multiplayer so I typically stick to single player experiences. But there's any number of AAA multiplayer games at a given time that are active.

For a good twenty plus years the topic of what OS suits the individual best has been argued to death, the fact remains that most people appear oblivious to usage cases outside of their own. I cannot justify the cost of Windows when I find the free alternative to be better and the fact remains that most of my issues regarding operating systems are rectified by running some form of Linux. If people feel Windows is a necessity, than don't let me stop you from running it just because I can't justify the requirement - Use whatever works best for you. Just bear in mind that your personal choice doesn't necessarily indicate that Windows is the better all round OS.

I've never said that Windows is the better all around OS. There's no other x86/x64 client that has the same level of top tier support. Indeed many if not most of the FOSS alternatives you mention constantly are supported on Windows, my guess is that most of the users of these alternatives are Windows users just by the shear number of Windows users out there compared to other x86/x64 clients. And the cost of Windows for most people doesn't even register in a significant way. Most people get it with their hardware, it does add some cost a most machines, on some Windows is free. For those that actually buy copies of Windows, it's often nothing in comparison to the costs in hardware and software that needs Windows to work, at least to it's fullest extent.

The fact that [H]OCP is full of gamers as opposed to computer enthusiasts is blatantly obvious - I've never disputed this point and it's evidenced in many of the comments I read on these very forums.

But many here are both gamers and computer enthusiasts. I've been using computers and learning about them all of my life. I've been in business software development for nearly 25 years now. And all through that I've always played games on computers.

Yeah, that guy again "Windows is crap, Linux is way better and simpler. Even my grandpa can install it"
More just "all this has happened before and all of this will happen again"

The same points are being restated from the same points of view. Might as well just re-read one of the existing threads and get this one back to the topic of how to dual-boot with the least pain.

Yeah, that guy again "Windows is crap, Linux is way better and simpler. Even my grandpa can install it"

If you're referring to me, I never claimed that at all. Perhaps you need to re-read the linked threads again?

More like "Anytime someone claims Windows isn't absolutely necessary a Windows user jumps up and claims otherwise, simply because they feel they can"....

Claiming that FOSS software can run under Windows is a great example of completely missing the point, it's like claiming "you should run Windows because it exists...?!" Windows is the problem, and I'm loosing nothing by not running it - Such a thing is entirely possible and I have no idea what point you're trying to make?

Last edited:

I just realized I have had Onenote for 2 years on my mac. It came with the office package. I haven't found a single use for it so far.

Onenote is great for persons who lack any better means to handle their workflow. Kind of like Excel is a great tool for anyone that lack a professional tool for the job.

It was me that said it and it's still true. My grandfather at the age of 85 can handle linux and you can't? ROFL!

I just realized I have had Onenote for 2 years on my mac. It came with the office package. I haven't found a single use for it so far.

Onenote is great for persons who lack any better means to handle their workflow. Kind of like Excel is a great tool for anyone that lack a professional tool for the job.

If you don't use a tool how could you possibly know what would be a better solution than that tool?

If you don't use a tool how could you possibly know what would be a better solution than that tool?

You described how you use it in a previous post. I use a real workflow management software for tasks like that. For making graphs, Omnigraffle is far more versatile than Onenote.

You described how you use it in a previous post. I use a real workflow management software for tasks like that. For making graphs, Omnigraffle is far more versatile than Onenote.

OneNote isn't a graphics/diagraming tool. No one who knows anything about OneNote would compare it to something like Omnigraffle.

OneNote isn't a graphics/diagraming tool. No one who knows anything about OneNote would compare it to something like Omnigraffle.

I just opened onenote and it wouldn't even let me even try it without logging in on a microsoft account. From what I saw from the menus it looked pretty much like a stripped omnigraffle with google docs like ability to share views with others. I have zero need or interest for such a tool and I find it hard to see why you seem to think it's so awesome.

I just opened onenote and it wouldn't even let me even try it without logging in on a microsoft account. From what I saw from the menus it looked pretty much like a stripped omnigraffle with google docs like ability to share views with others. I have zero need or interest for such a tool and I find it hard to see why you seem to think it's so awesome.

Probably the closest analog to OneNote is Evernote. Omnigraffle has really nothing in common with OneNote, Visio would be the closest Office tool to Omnigraffle's capabilities.

OneNote is similar to BasKet Notepads under Linux from what I've seen.

We use Onenote for IT where I work. Meeting notes and a single place where IT in my regional group can keep notes on special software, license keys, etc.

A lot of different groups company-wide use OneNote.

We use Onenote for IT where I work. Meeting notes and a single place where IT in my regional group can keep notes on special software, license keys, etc.

A lot of different groups company-wide use OneNote.

I'm sure they do, personally I've never once seen anyone use it or request it in an Office install. I'm fairly certain you can achieve a similar thing using Google apps for work.

I'm sure they do, personally I've never once seen anyone use it or request it in an Office install. I'm fairly certain you can achieve a similar thing using Google apps for work.

Stuff like Google apps, any file storage sites, etc. are all blocked for security reasons.

And, besides, OneNote is included in Office, so why pay for another service that does the same thing?

Stuff like Google apps, any file storage sites, etc. are all blocked for security reasons.

And, besides, OneNote is included in Office, so why pay for another service that does the same thing?

Desktop OneNote can work locally without any cloud connectivity. Not really sure why people debating OneNote's capability if they don't use it or know nothing about it. Plenty of people do use it, it's been around for a long time and it's got a very loyal following. It's a digital notebook that can store, organize and search all kinds of data. Text, images, system files, sound, video and handwriting. It just a fantastic way to store and search data of any type.

Desktop OneNote can work locally without any cloud connectivity. Not really sure why people debating OneNote's capability if they don't use it or know nothing about it. Plenty of people do use it, it's been around for a long time and it's got a very loyal following. It's a digital notebook that can store, organize and search all kinds of data. Text, images, system files, sound, video and handwriting. It just a fantastic way to store and search data of any type.

It sounds useful, I'm not too sure I'd base my whole choice of an OS around it though. For what it's worth, I don't know how the information sharing under Google Apps for Work operates either, my whole point is that I don't know a single person that uses OneNote - And I deal with a great many people in relation to PC's every day...

It sounds useful, I'm not too sure I'd base my whole choice of an OS around it though. For what it's worth, I don't know how the information sharing under Google Apps for Work operates either, my whole point is that I don't know a single person that uses OneNote - And I deal with a great many people in relation to PC's every day...

The most important thing an OS does is support hardware and software. If the OS doesn't support the hardware and software one wants to use how great the OS is or isn't is irrelevant. I deal with a lot of PC users everyday myself and there are plenty I know that use OneNote. In any case, there are plenty things out there that are probably much more common than any one person would necessarily be aware of.

The most important thing an OS does is support hardware and software. If the OS doesn't support the hardware and software one wants to use how great the OS is or isn't is irrelevant. I deal with a lot of PC users everyday myself and there are plenty I know that use OneNote. In any case, there are plenty things out there that are probably much more common than any one person would necessarily be aware of.

I understand this, you've said it many times.

In my experience, Linux supports hardware and software just fine. Windows is a fine OS for the masses, but it's defiantly not a necessity in many situations.

While I generally hate meme's, this one highlights the situation on these forums perfectly. We all see things from a different perspective.

niMRp0d.jpg

Back