How do you find the time for gaming?

image-705330.jpg

lol that's EXACTLY what I was thinking of when I wrote this. I left out "my name is..." because that would have made it too obvious. Good catch though.

gotta love it.. Im 62.. retired.. and I have all day and all night to game.. and I do... ahhh its great to be an old fart eheheheh oh yea .. praize the steam sales oh yea

Staying in a studio apartment with another guy helps. That allows me to fit a decent sized desk(ikea fredrik) with a mid tower and an asus 24" 144hz. Had I gotten into a double or a triple on-campus, the desk would limit it to just accommodating a laptop. That is step one. Step 2, compromise with my roommate about the internet. He's fucking awesome, so he uses the neighbors wifi while I get our connection all to myself. Step 3. Setting up for the right schedule and doing priority shit ASAP. I have a one day meet class, on Mondays, and two Tuesday, Thursday class that only fill morning until early afternoon. After doing assignments and readings at a reasonable pace I can easily find at least 6 hours of gaming per day, this is having class on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, a part time research assistant job on Monday and Wednesday, and a part time retail job on Fri, Sat and Sunday.

Kind of surprising how much time you can actually get for gaming with a pretty full schedule. Even with social time and gym time added, I can still squeeze probably like 20 hours a week for gaming.

Forgot to mention also, we're on a quarter system, so just 3 classes equate to 12 units total, which is considered full time. 4-5 classes is considered quite a workload, compared to a semester system, that would just be minimum full time.

Last edited:
3 kids... full time job; I pretty much don't find time.

Purchased GTA5 on release weeks ago and have spent only 4 hours on it so far.

Wife, 4 month old child, full time job here. Weekdays I play most nights 10pm to 11pm. Weekend is similar, but I might stay up later. Probably not though because my boy is getting up at 7am and he'll let me know it. When I'm alone at the house, I prefer to get stuff done around the house. Might start WGU soon for another bachelor's, probably have 30 minutes a week then!

Wife, 2.5 year old child and full time job here. Since my gaming PC (no consoles) is our HTPC as well, I have to wait until both wife and kid go to sleep in order to do any gaming. I'll take the HTPC on some weekends to the office and game there, but that doesn't happen extremely often.

Hopefully it won't be but a few more years that my boy will get into video games and he can join me. :)

34 years old, married, 2 kids. I work as a systems engineer, and average about 60-65 hours a week, which includes many nights and midnight maintenance.

I game about 10-25 hours a week still lol. My routine is such.

1. Wake up, go to work
2. Come home from work, eat dinner with family.
3. Spend about 1.5 hour with my kids before bedtime.
4. Bath time, and then I read stories to my kids.
5. Wife and I will grab some coffee or a beer and go sit in the backyard, chat about our days and just relax to max for a bit.
6. Wife always goes to bed at like 9pm, whammy!
7. Game-time.
8. Pauses here and there to kick of some scripts, deploy code and/or get on conference calls.

I usually game from about 9-12 3-4 nights during the week, and at least one solid night on the weekend (jumping on now heh). In between the routine my wife and I often find ourselves watching or marathoning TV shows, or movies. We spend most of our "our" time relaxing in the yard, or watching something together. Weekends are another matter. From 6am on saturday to late sunday we usually are on the go with our kids. Weekends are family time, Disneyland, shopping, the park, grandparents etc.. So most of my gaming is done during the week I'd say.

My work week is usually work, family, game, sleep.. repeat. Wife is SUPER respective of my hobbies, even games herself. She is the most laid back female I've ever met, and bar none the exception to every rule, hence why I married her. I humbly admit that my continued love for gaming, and alloted game time is surely do to her awesomeness. Hats off to the wife!

ps. As I"m typing this she just told me "Have fun gaming, I'm going to play some Plants vs Zombies 2 then go to bed early."

I used to game 20+ hours a week easy and when I played WoW all hardcore like it was over 40+ a week.

Then I got married and had children, I literally only game now when I am off and the wife takes the kids into daycare. Sometimes I'll work in 30 minutes after 9 but I have to wake up at 0320 so I rarely do that. Because my wife and I work full time jobs and are gone from the house for almost 12 hours a day each the house work is done by me when I am off (2 days during the week most weeks)

I am finding it harder and harder to find time. When I was living the bachelor life it was easy to find the time to play WoW and raid high-end content. Now that I am married and have an 8 month old daughter I typically find an hour after she goes to bed, to muck around in Skyrim or the like.

I take a train to and from work, so I play games on my tablet/phone/3DS during that period of time, sometimes during my lunch break.

Otherwise, since my wife also is into games, we play games together when I get home from work, depending on our mood. My wife got hired recently, so up to the point her start date comes up, she's been playing games during the day, as well. Explains how she beat GTA 5 within 2 weeks.

Being single with no social life. 1-2 hours during weekdays, and plenty of hours during weekend.

Most of my close friends are now married, I hardly see them anymore, let alone playing online games with them.

I can usually manage between 30 minutes to an hour after my kids go to bed. That is not a guarantee since I need to make sure bills are paid and the house is cleaned up some.

I am noticing a trend here with the people married w/ kids.

During school I was a double major: Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering with two jobs (estimating for a contracting firm and grading/running a lab) and I had a girlfriend, and I still found time to game. Didn't have time to sleep, but I had time to game.

Now, everything is a bit easier, I have a job as a software engineer and I game about 10 hours a week. My girlfriend lives a ways away so I only see her weekends really.

My oldest son is about to be 10 and he loves TF2. I just played MvM for the first time and we LOVED it. My younger son likes it too, and while we're not the greatest strategists, we have a lot of fun with it.

Gaming is easier when your family joins you or enjoys it as much as you do. My daughter will eventually get into it (she's 4, likes playing on ablets, as she calls them)

My oldest son is about to be 10 and he loves TF2. I just played MvM for the first time and we LOVED it. My younger son likes it too, and while we're not the greatest strategists, we have a lot of fun with it.

Gaming is easier when your family joins you or enjoys it as much as you do. My daughter will eventually get into it (she's 4, likes playing on ablets, as she calls them)

That would seem to be the top deciding factor about whether or not you find the time to game. My wife plays games too, so when we have kids, as long as they join in, we'll all be fine.

I am noticing a trend here with the people married w/ kids.

I'm getting married but we've adopted a puppy. The little guy loves sitting on the floor watching me though so I still fit in a few hours a week!

292s9lk.jpg

Graduate
get a day job
get divorced
minimize all responsibilities to electronic payments
...and only leave your chair when absolutely necessary

Graduate
get a day job
get divorced
minimize all responsibilities to electronic payments
...and only leave your chair when absolutely necessary

Better idea: Marry someone whom is also into gaming. Then playing video games turns into bonding with your spouse. Worked for me.

I have a plum job situation so I work from home most of the time. I have kids and wife but I find my time in the morning before they get up and go off to school and work. I believe that's called "farmer gaming". I also will try to get in an hour or so in the evening after dinner. I'm able to work out at the gym in the mornings, spend time with the family, etc. as well all because my job is so flexible. If I had to be in an office everyday, the story might be different!

I was Mech E at a fairly good school. I didn't go to class... slept during the day and did my homework in the however many hours before class that I thought it would take me to finish. Now that I have a full time job I actually have less time for gaming.

I work as a systems engineer, and average about 60-65 hours a week, which includes many nights and midnight maintenance.

I'm jealous. Life is so short I wish I could spend 6/7's of my life working. When I die my only concern will be did I work enough.

Even with a day job, and school, and being married, I still try to average a few hours a week playing something. It's mostly quick online sessions though, no intense storyline because I know I'll get sucked in and then the wife will be mad. :(

i'm pre-med.. xD sometimes i go weeks/months without being able to game... or not wanting to.. but i can usually find time on the weekends and on holidays.. i don't celebrate christmas & stuff, so whenever school lets out for the holidays, i usually spend it gaming and/or with my family.. who also don't celebrate christmas.. to us those are just normal days.. except nothing is ever open & there is literally NOTHING to do. -_- so it's perfect for gaming. :D

it also helps if you're single. then you don't have to worry about finding time for your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife... you can focus on yourself & what you want to do. :) selfish as it is, it's true. lol once you're in a relationship.. all of your time, energy, money & attention gets sucked into that drama.. and it becomes your life.... (you can tell i just love relationships, can't you? lmao)

Wife, kid, full time job, and part time school. I'm lucky if I can spare 5 minutes to take a shit. Can you guess where I get my [H] reading in? ;-)

I am a shut in. I play whenever i feel like it sometimes for days from when i wake up till when I go to sleep

I married a woman who knew my habits and accepted them from the getgo. Sure i cant game 40 hours a week anymore with a kid and full time job, but i get quality time in still w/o having to ignore any real-life responsibility or enjoyments.

Although now that i think about it, gaming an hour on a weeknight is actually quite a bit at this point in life, maybe i dont have the time anymore lol.

Although now that i think about it, gaming an hour on a weeknight is actually quite a bit at this point in life, maybe i dont have the time anymore lol.

It actually feels like a lot of gaming nowadays, doesn't it? I almost feel bad if I go over, just thinking of all the things I could be doing on my house and whatnot. It's like the older I get, the less gaming I need to feel satisfied. It's terrifying :eek:

It actually feels like a lot of gaming nowadays, doesn't it? I almost feel bad if I go over, just thinking of all the things I could be doing on my house and whatnot. It's like the older I get, the less gaming I need to feel satisfied. It's terrifying :eek:

I know what you mean. when i was in school i could and would play 40+ hours a week and i still wanted more. Now i'm out of school, and currently single so i can still play as much as i want. But more and more often i find my self doing other things. The older i get the more i feel that NEED to play endless hours receding.

yeah exactly. I'll hop in and play few BF3/whatever matches, hop out. Or hop on PS3 and do a few SF/Tekken matches etc. But it takes me months to finish a game like Mass Effect or some other story driven title.

Agreed. I have been hooked on MW:O recently because games last 8-10 minutes, max. I don't have to worry about getting stuck in the middle of a game, between savepoints, etc.

Agreed. I have been hooked on MW:O recently because games last 8-10 minutes, max. I don't have to worry about getting stuck in the middle of a game, between savepoints, etc.

That's exactly what I play now! That and planetside 2 because they're fun, but you can get back to reality more quickly.

That's exactly what I play now! That and planetside 2 because they're fun, but you can get back to reality more quickly.

Can't wait for the 15th. I grabbed the Phoenix package as soon as it was announced. I usually roll in lights and mediums (Jenner (Sarah's with 4ml and 2 lrm5 or my K with 5 spls and an srm6) and Centurion (forget which, but with 1lpl, 2mpl and 2 lrm5)) with an occasional heavy (my JagerDD with 2erLL and an AC/20, max armor). But I can't wait for the Battlemaster. The Locust ought to be a blast too.

But it reminds me a lot of when I used to play a lot of CS back in college (1.4 ftmfw). Easy to pick up, play a few rounds, and walk away, but you can sit there and waste a LOT of time at it too.

Back