How do you find the time for gaming?

cicisey

n00b
As a college student who is constantly under pressure from my classes to get certain things done within a week or within a day and to get good grades from them, it is nearly impossible to find time to enjoy one of my most important hobbies: gaming.

Perhaps, I chose the wrong major as a computer science major. :D

What is your major or what is your job and how do you create for time for your hobbies (for instance gaming)

Last edited:
School never really took away too much of my gaming time. I could procrastinate then catch up on my work later :D

Working full time and raising a family on the other hand... lol

I mostly play once my kid is in bed. If both the wife and kid are in bed early, then i get even more gaming time. :D

If Im lucky I can game for 20 mins a night before bed. Full time job, Wife, exercising and pets demand too much time for gaming. I used to be able to get 10-40 hours a week in. I would say now I average 2-3.

I have fulltime job and gf. I cut my sleep hours, or game on days off..... when not with the gf

- when home sick (hangovers count)
- when weather sucks and you can't do much else. (cable is out or what not)
- when cooling down after being at the gym
- multi-tasking by watching tv and gaming at the same time. I watched the Homeland premier that way, missed a bit but oh well.

I don't watch much tv except for the shows I download and I hate sports so time people usually spend in front of the TV I spend gaming. I work full time and have a wife as well as a band and still game about 10-20 hours a week. Heck I have been bringing my PS3 to work so I can play GTA V on my breaks lmao. It's also brutally cold in the winter where I am so I rarely go outside between Decemeber and March except to work, a gig, or to hang out with friends. Unless you have young kids you should be able to find an hour or so a day for gaming.

Trust me, once college is over , you will have plenty of time. I graduated with a Bachelors at Cal Poly and they really work you! But after all said and done, you have all the time you need to play games. I didn't really have the time to play either. Studies>broads> games I say.

Being out of school, and unmarried makes it easy. I go home, make dinner, do any housework that needs doing and then... GAMES!!! :D

In college I found time by not going to class. :D:D

You chose the wrong major... to have free time. You won't have much free time once you're in the real world either, but you'll have a lot of money at least.

I haven't watched TV in years. Gives me plenty of time for gaming.

3DS, Vita, and iPhone keep me pretty entertained while taking shits. I'll go eat Thai food just so I can have more gaming time.

I honestly don't even remember how much I gamed in college. I knew I did quite a bit but I worked 40 hours and went to school full time....but I settled for B's in order to squeeze in game time and tomfoolery.

It can help if you're not in a hurry to graduate. I have to juggle part-time work and school. It has helped tremendously that I spent an extra couple of semesters whiddling away the pesky electives. Yeah, it takes longer, but you have more time to focus on harder classes more, and/or free up time for family and gaming.

3DS, Vita, and iPhone keep me pretty entertained while taking shits. I'll go eat Thai food just so I can have more gaming time.

I honestly don't even remember how much I gamed in college. I knew I did quite a bit but I worked 40 hours and went to school full time....but I settled for B's in order to squeeze in game time and tomfoolery.
YOU JERK!
I was drinking my coffee and reading this and laughed out loud hard and spilled all over my suit. Lmfao

I take my M18x to work and play when I have downtime(waiting for imaging to complete). Then I go home to my wife and I either game or spend time with her, and she has no problem with the former being more frequent.

Life ain't bad.

With 2 jobs, a wife and kid not to mention a house to take care of, my gaming time has shrunk considerably. I manage to squeeze in a few hours each week usually towards the end of the night when the wife is in there watching some TV. I built a computer out of spare parts a while back and stuck an old 4850 in there and my little boy gets on it and plays around so I can mandate that everybody stays off my beloved rig so whenever I get free time, I dont have to worry about him or the wife needing it for a Facebook emergency or something.

Either don't have kids, or have nor more than 1 kid and get them HOOKED on GAMING with you!! :D Hook up with a female that loves working 8-12 hour shifts...that helps as well.

I work a different schedule than my wife. I wake up around 10am and go into work at 5pm. I get shit done around the house and game doing the daytime. If I don't have any emergencies when I am at work I get to game there as well. I bring a Vita or 3DS and I have a few games on my work macbook. After I type this I am gonna play a little bit of Minecraft.

When baby is taking a nap during lunchtime. When wife falls asleep at night, of course I have a bedtime though. Try to fit 30 minutes before my online class seminar starts. If I know the material I launch the seminar on my secondary computer that overlooks my main and game on my main while in class!

Mostly though, 2 hours during nappy time and 5 hours during 3 nights a week...if that makes sense

Once your in real life you gotta make time.

Usually game between 9-10 once I'm done with dinner and before bed time.

Not gaming is okay... it's a hobby, not a requirement. Not trying to sound like a video game addict therapist, but seriously, look at what you have and weigh out whether its even worth it.

Work your ass off in school , play on the weekends after you study. Complete school and enjoy the massive backlog.

I have a huge backlog of games that I plan to get to in about 2-3 years. Nothing is better than being able to relax and enjoy those "hot" titles for 80 percent of their original launch price.

I never understand why some people MUST OWN every new "hot" game when it releases. The best thing to do is buy your top 5 "must have" titles for the next 6 months , slowly work on them then by the time you are ready for the next set they'll be that much cheaper.

It also helps to have friends that happily blow money on a weekly basis on games and simply hang with them and get full "demo" of a game if I'm interested enough I buy my own copy. Many of the games I buy are MP and Xbox Live so I can play with my brother and friends.

My backlog exploded over the last 2 months. First, got engaged. Second, bought a house with the fiance. Third, adopted a beautiful pure breed Shetland Sheepdog puppy and we're looking at getting another dog. So yeah, it's been a crazy 2 months but I get the majority of my gaming done on the weekends. Maybe a couple hours total a week

As a college student who is constantly under pressure from my classes to get certain things done within a week or within a day and to get good grades from them, it is nearly impossible to find time to enjoy one of my most important hobbies: gaming.

What is your major or what is your job and how do you create for time for your hobbies (for instance gaming)

Excellent choice on Major might I add, especially if you've been exposed to computers very early on (5 years old for me).

I've been into computer architecture and programming forever, so college wasn't as time consuming as it was for people who chose the major and didn't have any clue what they were getting themselves into (feel comfortable saying about 80% of my graduating class), so college allowed me plenty of time for games, until those STUPID psychology and chemistry classes got in the way every once in a while.

I'm a full time programmer now and ironically find less and less time to get on and play, but I still manage to squeeze in an hour or two during the week, and more on weekends (getting better now).

It's funny, as we get older we get settled into our career paths, and accumulate plenty of money to fund our hobbies (well, most of us), but find less and less time to use the things we buy. :rolleyes: But fortunately there's unbridled V8 power to look forward to, to and from work.

Outside of my stupid job... I just bought my first house and am spending (a good portion) of my free time doing the home improvement thing. Doing everything yourself is certainly time consuming, however there is a huge pride factor there and knowing it's done exactly how I want it to be done.

Luckily - I work four 10 hour days so I get 3 days off every week, that helps some but there is never enough time in the day it seems, just also decided to try to be more fit, spending 30 minutes walking/running in the park across the street takes away from my time every day too.

Man, College is when I got the most gaming in. I just stacked all of my classes on Tuesday and Thursday (or MWF some semesters) so I had the other days free. In those days I was borderline tournament-level at several fighting games and was a pretty FPS good shooter player, too. I was a marketing/advertising major.

These days I work a 40-hour a week marketing job but have an understanding wife and no kids. It's pretty easy for me to play when I get home from work or on the weekends, but I still don't play that much unless a game is really compelling.

I'm employed and live with my parents no kids 2 cats who like me though and a social worker.

Man, College is when I got the most gaming in. I just stacked all of my classes on Tuesday and Thursday (or MWF some semesters) so I had the other days free. In those days I was borderline tournament-level at several fighting games and was a pretty FPS good shooter player, too. I was a marketing/advertising major.

These days I work a 40-hour a week marketing job but have an understanding wife and no kids. It's pretty easy for me to play when I get home from work or on the weekends, but I still don't play that much unless a game is really compelling.

Man, don't you advertising types have a lot of take home work? I've got a few friends that work for the bigger firms here in Boston and they're no-shows, almost every weekend because of how much crap they have to do.

What kind of marketing job do you have, if I may ask? Just curious, as I've always liked the whole Marketing thing, especially from a collateral point of view.

I cause fights with the people in my life so they'll leave me alone when I have free time.

I'm a winner.

The irony of life:

15-35
You have the energy and the time but not the money
35-55
You have the energy and money but not the time
55-Death
You have the money and the time but not the energy

stay up later then I should and go to work tired...pretty soon your internal clock will adjust and it becomes normal

When I was married I didn't have time to do shit. All of my old gaming buddies left me behind.

Now I'm 31 with a house, 2 dogs, full time+ job, and a girlfriend and I play 12-20 hours a week. My girlfriend loves the fact that I enjoy playing games so much.

During the week I spend 1 night with my GF and the other 3 nights getting my shit done so I can relax and dig into a game for a few hours. On the weekends I usually play something with her like LBP.

Barring any children, I think you can have a pretty full schedule and the right mate you'll still find plenty of time to play some games. I just wish I would have known this 6 years ago cause now all I do is play single player games with my dogs.

Man, don't you advertising types have a lot of take home work? I've got a few friends that work for the bigger firms here in Boston and they're no-shows, almost every weekend because of how much crap they have to do.

What kind of marketing job do you have, if I may ask? Just curious, as I've always liked the whole Marketing thing, especially from a collateral point of view.

I pretty much never have take-home work. I'm an in-house marketing director in a department that's only 2 people. It's just me and an art designer. I write the copy and handle the logistics, while he makes it pretty. We do everything from banner ads, to web design, to print flyers and such. It was a lot of work at first, but 6 years in I have it down pat.
I know that people that work at firms tend to work crazy hours, but they tend to get paid pretty well, too! Their jobs are rougher since they have to come up with massive campaigns for lots of businesses. I only have to worry about one.

I'm unemployed and I live with my parents.
image-705330.jpg

Sincere advice that is unsolicited - please concentrate on school.

Games are not going anywhere. That being said, I used game between 10-11PM when I was in school.

Now, I play games when I get back home from work. My wife is also gamer, and she doesn't work, so she kind of takes care of things at home, we will get to game once we are done eating after work.

I'm 30, married, and employed so finding time nowadays is tougher. I still have time to play games regularly but a lot of times I'm just not in the mood. It's really hard for me to find a big chunk of uninterrupted time where I can immerse myself in a game and just rattle off a few hours which is why I only finish <5% of the games I buy.

When I was younger I used to love games that I could lose myself for hours in. Nowadays, my staples are TF2, X-COM, and the occasional gem like DS/DkS/GTAV. TF2 is my main game now since I can just hop on for 20-30mins of fragging goodness and if I get interrupted or have to handle something then I can easily take care of it without feeling like I'm ruining my progress. X-COM is the perfect game to chill out to while watching TV or doing chores (super hyped for Enemy Within!). Once every couple years a game like DS/DkS/GTAV makes me feel like a kid again and I ignore my wife for a weekend or two (I regret nothing!). I used to be a huge Dota fanatic but nowadays I find even devoting 45 mins of intense concentration on a game too much of a hassle (even missing 1-2 mins of action will put you severely behind).

30 as well, and I have a 7mo old, plus a full time+ job as an attorney (and this is trial season, so UGH). Usually, I play a little bit at night after the kid and wife go to bed. She's not a fan of gaming, so kind of resents it when I choose that when she's awake. Which sucks, but whatever.
I've tried to get her into gaming, but she's only into the LEGO games, and I'm having a tough time getting her to branch out from there. PSN has Ico for free this month, might be worth a try...

Sincere advice that is unsolicited - please concentrate on school.

Games are not going anywhere. That being said, I used game between 10-11PM when I was in school.

Now, I play games when I get back home from work. My wife is also gamer, and she doesn't work, so she kind of takes care of things at home, we will get to game once we are done eating after work.

This is the most old-man response I've ever heard. :p

Back