How do you feel about Refurbish hard-drives?

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by DTN107, Oct 13, 2008.

1. DTN107

DTN107 [H]ardness Supreme

So I bought a 250gb Seagate 16mb cache SATA2 hard-drive last month. It arrived DOA which is no biggie. RMA it to newegg and get a new replacement. Well the replacement decided to die on me 2 days after newegg's 30 day replacement policy meaning I have to RMA it to seagate. So off goes my first Seagate RMA and after waiting two weeks I got a Refurbish hard-drive back. Quite disappointed but not surprise since I heard of Seagate, WD, and other companies doing the same.

Just curious how others feel about refurbish hard-drives?

I'm a bit sketchy about them but there is the 5 year warranty from Seagate to tidy me over. But I would hate for my family's computer to lose all their data again (perhaps they need some raid 5 ;)).

2. Ockie

Ockie *** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***

If it's a factory refurbished hard drive such as in your case, I would be perfectly fine with it. If it's a refurb being sold at a store, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

3. Menelmarar

Menelmarar [H]ardness Supreme

No way.

edit: reread, figured it was like one of the hot deal threads with refurbs. Refurb back from seagate direct after warranty, probably ok. I would still feel pretty miffed.

4. Met-AL

Met-AL [H]ardness Supreme

I completely agree with Ockie.

5. houkouonchi

houkouonchi RIP

I also wouldn't be bitchy about a refurb strait from seagate from an RMA especially since I use it in a raid array. My main bitch with strait out buying refurb drives is they typically only come with a 30-90 day warranty which is unacceptable IMHO.

6. axan

axan [H]ard|Gawd

as long as they are factory refurbished I'm fine with that

7. Hypernova

Hypernova [H]ard|Gawd

How about running some scanners and see what's on them?:p

8. priteshvarsani

priteshvarsani Limp Gawd

Probably crap loads of dirty pictures...

9. EnderW

EnderW [H]ardForum Junkie

+++

10. cvillelk

cvillelk n00b

Good choice going with Seagate, you cant beat a 5 year warranty. RAID 5 is nice, but redundancy does not equal backup.

Refurb or not, i always have at least one drive that is dedicated to backing up data to protect against faulty hardware or a family members mistake. If it dies reinstalling the OS can be a pain, but you don't want to loose your data. There are plenty of free applications out there to help you back up your data.

11. Rogue71

Rogue71 [H]ard|Gawd

be easier to just have a backup drive than worring about losing everything.250gb drives are not manistream so you can expect a refurb. most older drives are refurbed and not replaced. ive had 2 drives rma from both wd and seagate in the last 4 years (both pata 250 gb) hmm.... they seem to last 2-3 years from what i can tell. not sure why.

12. StorageJoe

StorageJoe Limp Gawd

Just keep in mind what a refurb drive is. They don't "refurb" the drive, they just rewrite the servo data to the disk and slap a green label on it. Seagate claims that 95% of the RMAs they get back are no problem found.

13. BecauseScience

BecauseScience [H]ard|Gawd

Agree 100% I trust factory refurbs just as much as new.

Besides, with the cost of storage most everything should be on a redundant raid (1,5,6,etc.) anyway.

Irreplacable data should be backed up as well. Raid really only exists to minimize hassle and downtime when disks fail.

14. urbanriot

urbanriot Limp Gawd

Seagate (R) is the kiss of death and has huge notoriety amongst resellers, where R = failure within 5 months.

This might be different in USA, but here in Canada, anyone I know who's ever repaired or resold PC's on a large scale is aware of this notoriety.

15. JJ Johnson

JJ Johnson Gawd

Same here. A number of online shops sell refurbs, but with reduced warranties. I'd pass on them, as the savings generally aren't that great in comparison to brand new drives.