How do you feel about Nvidia pricing on the new RTX video cards?

It's a value proposition. The prices seem high, yes, but if it's providing value, then it may be worth it.

We don't know where the performance actually is. If it's around 50% better, as rumored, then I don't think the price is that crazy. The MSRP of the 2080 Ti is $999, so the cost increase from a $699 1080 Ti falls in line with the performance rumors.

I mean, we've been at around the same performance for a while now. Titan X Pascal came out over 2 years ago, and there hasn't been a big development since. Now Nvidia finally has something new.

Agreed that Nvidia is gouging, but if the value is there then that's just how much it costs.

Remember the new SKU lineup.

The Titan line is now a separate line since Titan V (slotted in between QUARDO and GeForce), so what you are looking at is this:

GTX Titan XP -> RTX 2080 Ti
GTX 1080 Ti -> RTX 2080
GTX 1080 -> RTX 2070

Remember the new SKU lineup.

The Titan line is now a separate line since Titan V (slotted in between QUARDO and GeForce), so what you are looking at is this:

GTX Titan XP -> RTX 2080 Ti
GTX 1080 Ti -> RTX 2080
GTX 1080 -> RTX 2070

Whatever it takes for you to justify that price in your head. Nvidia just wised up and realized some of you will pay any price to have the best, will remain to be seen if it's enough or if they have to drop the price quickly to keep sales at previous levels.

The prices are going to make it difficult to justify an upgrade. I just finally got a 1080 from evga for step up options, but the prices are kind of nuts considering what those same tiers used to be priced at.

These are all Founders edition PCBs cards waiting on the Custom card all of the Founders edition pc cards look ugly and don't have a Dvi port which I really want for my old 21.5 monitors I use for surfing.

Raytracing will be the future.

Yet with tech like this, I am not going in on the first generation. It will be 4X faster the next gen, and I will be able to play at 4K like I want to, and it should be cheaper unless Nvidia gouges us more for a Ti.

Or, raytracing flops big and no game devs use it and I don't need to worry about 40% of my GPU diespace being useless because I didn't go all in with the first gen of a brand new hardware device that requires third party software implementation to use.

Raytracing will be the future.

Yet with tech like this, I am not going in on the first generation. It will be 4X faster the next gen, and I will be able to play at 4K like I want to, and it should be cheaper unless Nvidia gouges us more for a Ti.

Or, raytracing flops big and no game devs use it and I don't need to worry about 40% of my GPU diespace being useless because I didn't go all in with the first gen of a brand new hardware device that requires third party software implementation to use.
Where do you get the 40% die space from?

Thougth so much.

"Thought", actually, you know, to be Factually accurate.

Rather than simply getting angry, which is beyond obvious? Why not answer the actual original question by the OP? ;)

Which it would seem you still haven't, even though as the OP noted, it's *beyond* obvious how you feel about this. So why not admit you're in the same boat as all, is that so hard?

Bottom line, are you gunna buy an RTX?

At least answer that, otherwise your position has little standing.

My pop always used to say: "You get what you pay for." Think that might be appropriate here.

Someone allegedly figured out 23% of the die was for RTX/AI features. Still quite a bit, but definitely not 40%. At some point the industry was always going to move past pure rasterization speed for more features and performance. New architectural features were needed to facilitate this move.

Remember at one point in time “shaders” were a new thing as well, and people thought they were stupid.

"Thought", actually, you know, to be Factually accurate.

Rather than simply getting angry, which is beyond obvious? Why not answer the actual original question by the OP? ;)

Which it would seem you still haven't, even though as the OP noted, it's *beyond* obvious how you feel about this. So why not admit you're in the same boat as all, is that so hard?

Bottom line, are you gunna buy an RTX?

At least answer that, otherwise your position has little standing.
I have...you are still buthurt I see...get on with life ;)

Someone allegedly figured out 23% of the die was for RTX/AI features. Still quite a bit, but definitely not 40%. At some point the industry was always going to move past pure rasterization speed for more features and performance. New architectural features were needed to facilitate this move.

Remember at one point in time “shaders” were a new thing as well, and people thought they were stupid.

I’d wager that the Tensor cores take up more diespace than the RT ASIC...being the are more flexible in usage.

Gonna wait price is insane. 1080ti is where it's at price wise. 1600 bucks plus tax for rtx 1080ti. I'll wait to Nvidia gets head out of its arse. Until Rtx is more mainstream as well.

Nivida and partners can charge anything they want, I decide if it is worth it or not or if I can afford one. When the smoke clears and some professional reviews and owners speak up, then I will be able to see if it is worth it. Presently I have no issue gaming with what I have.

Honestly these prices blow my expectations out of the water.

The 2080 Ti is priced at Titan XP price levels.
The 2080 is priced at prior Ti price points.
And the 2070 is the most expensive 70 series card that I can remember.

Do you feel that Nvidia pricing is outrageous or does it feel reasonable given the current market for video cards and lack of competition from AMD?

AMDs next consumer grade GPU is confirmed to be on 7nm according to their roadmap and I bet that Nvidia isnt far behind there. I wouldnt be surprised if Nvidia have a 7nm RTX Titan in the near future. Prices might drop fast then. :)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12910/amd-demos-7nm-vega-radeon-instinct-shipping-2018

nV release MSRPs have never dropped. They’ll only go up from here...

nV release MSRPs have never dropped. They’ll only go up from here...

GTX 260 dropped $100 overnight when AMD caught them by surprise. On this release, Nvidia have dropped the 2080 TI already, which is new. During the last releases the XX80 have been the top dog for a while, while Titan and TI comes later to take the crown.
AMD are using VEGA as a 7nm pro card pipecleaner to be released this year. Been quiet as they were before their other node shrink earlier with the 5000 series. Its only speculations, but I would not be shocked if something is up.

I can't see how people are justifying this pricing with "well it's 35-50% faster than the 1080ti so it costing 35-50% more is fair"

When has technology ever been like that? $50 price hikes to keep up with inflation, sure, but technology is supposed to give you more for the same price/less as time goes on.

If Nvidia didn't release the 2080ti at the same time as the 2080 the 2080 would be the card to get. The only reason to get the 2080 right now is if you own a old card or just for the ray tracing alone.

I can't see how people are justifying this pricing with "well it's 35-50% faster than the 1080ti so it costing 35-50% more is fair"

When has technology ever been like that? $50 price hikes to keep up with inflation, sure, but technology is supposed to give you more for the same price/less as time goes on.

It really comes down to if you value ray tracing or DLSS since they make up a decent portion of the physical die. If you do, it’s a much greater increase than 35-50%.

If Nvidia didn't release the 2080ti at the same time as the 2080 the 2080 would be the card to get. The only reason to get the 2080 right now is if you own a old card or just for the ray tracing alone.

If they didnt release the 2080ti at the same time theyd get laughed at since according to leaks the 2080 is 10% -15% faster than a 1080ti.

If they didnt release the 2080ti at the same time theyd get laughed at since according to leaks the 2080 is 10% -15% faster than a 1080ti.

The 1080 vs 980ti was in the same ballpark OC vs OC.

I'm glad they released at the same time. Cause if it was just 2070 and 2080, I would have bought the 2080 and then felt bad 3 months later when the Ti came out.

Yeah I am glad they skipped that “new king” crap and released the 2080ti right away rather than a Titan with a garbage cooler / milking the non-ti version.

Last edited:
The 1080 vs 980ti was in the same ballpark OC vs OC.

Yeah I am glad they skipped that “new king” crap and released the 2080ti right away rather than a Titan with a garbage cooler / milking the non-ti version.

Definitely. At best I guess you could argue nvidia was only' testing the waters with the Titan XP, but as an early adopter, it was annoying for it to be a cut down PCB, non full-fat chip, and then blatantly get replaced by the 1080ti in months, and the real Titan Xp later.

This gen's pricing is arguably their most honest yet. :confused:

(If you ignore the paper launch and no reviews...)

Last edited:
Nivida and partners can charge anything they want, I decide if it is worth it or not or if I can afford one. When the smoke clears and some professional reviews and owners speak up, then I will be able to see if it is worth it. Presently I have no issue gaming with what I have.

I agree with this. For me though, it isn't a question of affordability in all honesty. I'm not boasting or bragging but I can easily afford 2 of these suckers if I wanted too. That said, affordability is not the point, the point is justifiability in my head. I can't wrap my head around the idea that this is the new "normal" for a top tier gaming card. I won't be a party to it and feed that monster. If this pricing scheme works for Nvidia this go around then that sets up a very ugly precedent. Ya no thanks.

I haven't seen anyone say this? I know myself and some others have a basic understanding of chip production and that the increased cost is from the size of the chip and inherently lower yields.

I can't wrap my head around the idea that this is the new "normal" for a top tier gaming card. I won't be a party to it and feed that monster. If this pricing scheme works for Nvidia this go around then that sets up a very ugly precedent.

%100 this.

Not buying. Simple. Ray tracing is a long ways off, so there's no need to pay a premium for it.
I'll buy a used 2080Ti in two years to see what all the fuss is about. I don't see AMD doing any better in the short term either.

Reactions: isp
like this
Hard to fault a company for trying to maximize it’s profits when there’s months of backlog orders on the books.
Personally I won’t pay more than $800 for a gpu so will have to step down a performance level and compare the RTX2080 with my GTX1080ti. There probably will not be too much of a gain there so I’ll sit out this round for now and upgrade when the next generation VR hardware hits the street and I need more horsepower.

At these prices I’ll have to change my buying behaviour from, “want to have” to “need to have”. Where I used to just order the latest and the greatest every 12 months I’ll just have to see what $800 buys me used next year. It is what it is.

This is a good example of how the free market only works when there is competition. All hail Bernie! (scarcasm)

What, 1080p at less than 60fps?
Sigh, you are very far behind on the news... No one is going to be stuck at 1080p while running raytracing. Don't worry, the big boys have already read dev chats and kept up with rumors. I suggest videocardz.com as a good start.

Well now that the benchmarks are officially out. I can say with confidence that the 2080 really is the worst video card to buy. On average it tests out 1% faster than the 1080 Ti but costs $799 and up.

The 2080 Ti has the worst frames per dollars performance at $1200 but at least it provides a tangible performance benefit over the 1080 Ti.

Benchmark video and Cost per dollars chart here:

To sum up results, the 2080 Ti is 23% faster than the 1080 Ti in 1440p and 31% faster in 4k.

Those who actually use 4k resolution will see a bigger benefit from upgrading to the 2080 Ti.

"Sidegrading" from a 1080 Ti to a 2080 makes the least sense of all the options available.

When going by FE pricing, and that's the price point of all the RTX cards currently sold, Nvidia provides the video card solutions with the worst performance to dollar ratios on the market today even accounting for increased performance. $10.95 per frame for the 2080 FE and a whopping $12.90 per frame for the 2080 Ti FE.

Nvidia has no competition and people are willingly buying preorders for this overpriced generation of hardware. So what will stop Nvidia's greed? Nothing but real competition. Let's hope Navi is not a bust. Or there will be no marketplace checks in place to balance out Nvidia in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Well, if AMD doesn't have something cooking, maybe Intel will come through.
I would certainly hope so, but maybe hoping Intel's graphics would even equate what AMD puts out is unrealistic. AMD has failed to compete and now Intel is using AMD's guy. Maybe he can do something different with that access to that big ol pile of money. Fingers crossed.

Back