How do you feel about Nvidia pricing on the new RTX video cards?

I'm going to see the benchmarks and compare them to my 1080ti. If theres a huge difference at 2560x1440 then I'll upgrade to a 2080ti and if theres not a huge difference then I'll keep using my watercooled 1080ti until the generation after rtx.

Too expensive. In Canada 1600 bucks and with tax close to 2000 that's insane. Keeping my 1080tis awhile longer.

Well it has been officially confirmed now:

RTX 2080 Ti FE $1199
RTX 2080 FE $799
RTX 2070 FE $599

"Reference" model prices:

RTX 2080 Ti $999 and up
RTX 2080 $699 and up
RTX 2070 $499 and up

Honestly these prices blow my expectations out of the water.

The 2080 Ti is priced at Titan XP price levels.
The 2080 is priced at prior Ti price points.
And the 2070 is the most expensive 70 series card that I can remember.

Do you feel that Nvidia pricing is outrageous or does it feel reasonable given the current market for video cards and lack of competition from AMD?

Didn't know you were in the market for a high-end NVIDIA card after looking at your postings?
(Odd that so many "n00bie" posters come out of the woodworks every single launch with strong opinions...)

Didn't know you were in the market for a high-end NVIDIA card after looking at your postings?
(Odd that so many "n00bie" posters come out of the woodworks every single launch with strong opinions...)

And yet you've failed to answer the question or otherwise contribute to the thread meaningfully! To re-iterate, he's asking, how do you feel about these prices?

How do they make you, feel? :bored:

And yet you've failed to answer the question or otherwise contribute to the thread meaningfully! To re-iterate, he's asking, how do you feel about these prices?

How do they make you, feel? :bored:

I don't "feel" about hardware, I let fanboys do the butthurt thingy..
My take on hardware prices is way different than yours as I live i an world (aka I work in Enterprise with a capital "E") with thousands of Xeon CPU's, NVIDIA GRID's, TESLA's & QUADRO's SKU's...I don't whine about hardware prices, when we have stuf like this in our datacenters: https://www.top500.org/site/50182
$1200 hardware is cheap in my book.
Btw, pot calling the kettle black much? (aka you still mad I called out your ignorance? :) )

They have a monopoly on high performing cards at the moment, so they are pricing accordingly. I hate the prices, but then again I'm not going to be buying one, so it doesn't matter.

Now if a 1080TI is sitting on a shelf $100 below MSRP in a few months...I may jump on it just as a stop gap until someone comes to compete with nVidia.

Despite saying you don't "feel" about hardware your tone of voice is quite aggressive. What gives you the urge to "call out" other posters and call them "ignorant"? That doesn't seem logical.

The RTX 20xx series announcement has received a lot of valid criticisms both on youtube, on forums, and throughout the tech enthusiast community.

People have questioned factors such as pricing, the importance of ray tracing, and the actual performance of these video cards.

Sure it is valid to say, I don't care about the price or performance, I just want the latest video card because I have disposable income to throw down $1200 or $2400 on the newest video cards just to have it.

But it is also valid to question, what is the performance to value ratio on these new video cards compared to the GTX 10 series?

Do we need ray tracing and how much will it be used in new video game titles?

If I currently own a 10 series GPU, is it worth it for me to upgrade or will I enjoy my 10 series video card about 90% as a 20 series without having to pay 70% more for an upgrade?

I believe that Nvidia could have handled the launch better. A lot of people have reservations due to the extreme price inflations. I do give them credit for trying to bring forth real time (hybrid) ray tracing but they emphasized ray tracing much more than the actual performance of the new video cards which understandably made a lot of people cautious about adopting the new video cards.

It is valid to question - is ray tracing going to be a new paradigm for video card rendering or will it go the way of PhysX, ie into the dustbin?

The question is open to the entire community how they feel about this new release by Nvidia.

As more information comes out I reserve the right to change my mind but right now it looks really risky to invest in the RTX series. Most likely I will wait a generation for the technology to mature and the prices to come down to realistic levels before trying to obtain one.

I salute the early adopters for taking this risk on blind faith, but I feel the majority of users will demand more tangible and measurable benefits than "raytracing, it just works" before making the same jump, especially at these price brackets.

I don't "feel" about hardware ...
Btw, pot calling the kettle black much? (aka you still mad I called out your ignorance? :) )

Despite saying you don't "feel" about hardware your tone of voice is quite aggressive. What gives you the urge to "call out" other posters and call them "ignorant"? That doesn't seem logical.

The RTX 20xx series announcement has received a lot of valid criticisms both on youtube, on forums, and throughout the tech enthusiast community.

People have questioned factors such as pricing, the importance of ray tracing, and the actual performance of these video cards.

Sure it is valid to say, I don't care about the price or performance, I just want the latest video card because I have disposable income to throw down $1200 or $2400 on the newest video cards just to have it.

But it is also valid to question, what is the performance to value ratio on these new video cards compared to the GTX 10 series?

If I currently own a 10 series GPU, is it worth it for me to upgrade or will I enjoy my 10 series video card about 90% as a 20 series without having to pay 70% more for an upgrade?

I believe that Nvidia could have handled the launch better. A lot of people have reservations due to the extreme price inflations. I do give them credit for trying to bring forth real time (hybrid) ray tracing but they emphasized ray tracing much more than the actual performance of the new video cards which understandably made a lot of people cautious about adopting the new video cards.

It is valid to question - is ray tracing going to be a new paradigm for video card rendering or will it go the way of PhysX, ie into the dustbin?

The question is open to the entire community how they feel about this new release by Nvidia.

As more information comes out I reserve the right to change my mind but right now it looks really risky to invest in the RTX series. Most likely I will wait a generation for the technology to mature and the prices to come down to realistic levels before trying to obtain one.

I salute the early adopters for taking this risk on blind faith, but I feel the majority of users will demand more tangible and measurable benefits than "raytracing, it just works" before making the same jump, especially at these price brackets.

I always believe it isn't much of a risk to take on new technology since even if the features doesn't work the way it intends to, you are still using card that should have one heck of a performance boost over the previous generation cards without using said new features.

Those feelings...not logically. ;)

Ask an delveloper...gamer always whine…."valid" or not.

Supply and demand...it doesn't care about your feelings.

Yes we need it...EVERYTHING you have seen up until now is faking raytracing….EVERYTHING.

Oh, you have reviews to quote...or just feelings?

Raytracing is the holy grail of graphics...no matter how you feel.

No...developers WANT this...no matter your feelings. Now I "feel" you are being obtuse here...and pushing an agenda.

Sure...if you say so...

Those feeling again….you sound like you are clueless about graphics...and just have "feelings"...
Ray tracing has been the Holy Grail in computer graphics since the1970's.
THE holy grail.
It gives artists the ability to accurately simulate the behavior of light without fake hacks.
It gives artists the ability to precisely visualize the subtle lighting effects of any tweak to their game assets without fake hacks.
It offers advanced lighting effects, dynamic soft shadows, and life-like reflections and transparencies, previously unachievable and done by fake hacks.
Why do you think CGI is done with raytracing and not rasterization?
And games are not the only place of raytracing is used.
Almost all car commercials and brochures now use ray-traced images rather than photography.
And a lot of other commercials too:

Your feelings cloud you from the facts...

I feel fine about the pricing. I have owned Titan Cards every generation except for the Titan V and I like having the latest and greatest. This RTX 2080 Ti is the same price I paid for the Titan X in 2016. If you want the best you pay the price. I want the best.

Feeling entitled to cheap luxury goods is lame.

So, overall I have really mixed feelings (mostly negative to meh) about this new launch.

On the price perspective, I'm pretty sure I fall in line with most when I say no thank you, just too rich for my blood. Shit, my GF is looking at cars that cost a little bit more then what the new TI does (aka Titan, w/e). Idk, I gotta draw the line somewhere and I thought $670 for my 1080 2 May's ago was kinda stretching it. To those that can swing that price all day long, swing away.

Second, RT sounds cool... and super impractical RIGHT NOW. I'm a high fps > eye candy guy (don't get me wrong, I love when I can have both) but damn, I've heard 0 (apart from that lovely 1x-2x graph nvidia so kindly put forward) towards what these new cards will mean to me personally in that regard.

I want that absolute 1440p 144hz+ slayer with the candy all the way up, or for you 4k guys, that 4k@60fps MINIMUM slayer with all the eye candy turned up nice and high. Nothing irks me more then hiccups and fps dips, it's immersion breaking for me.

Ultimately, I don't feel that NVidia is marketing towards us FPS chasers, but pushing hard for RT instead. As always, I'll wait for [H]'s review of RT off/on and make my decision then, but damn, I gotta ask, why isn't this new release not even being even slightly marketed as the final 4k@60+fps, 1440p high fps slayer I guess I was hoping for? Is it not?

I remain pretty un-hyped until I see otherwise, which sucks. Usually new cards get my jolly off regardless of what camp it is coming out of.

EDIT: I guess what I mean is the Nvidia marketing isn't speaking towards what I'm looking for, doesn't mean that's not what the product is. As always, waiting on those tasty [H] reviews to tell me what we are actually being sold on.

Last edited:
I honestly don't have an issue with the price. I dropped $1,200 for a Titan X Pascal, got a lot of awesome 4K gaming out of it, then sold it after 1 year for $1,200 so it was basically free.

One thing that does bother me is the constant whining. People complaining about the price, when the top end cards have been in the $1k range for years. People complaining about performance when we know almost nothing right now from independent reviews. People complaining about ray-tracing when they don't understand what they're looking at. Movies use ray-tracing and they can take hours or days to render a single frame. Nvidia has somehow made it possible to do (admittedly a more limited version of) ray-tracing *in real time* which may end up being as revolutionary as the advent of graphics processors or programmable shaders. They are ushering in a new era of graphics and people just complain that it maybe might be 57fps rather than 60fps in one level of an unfinished game or that it's not in 4K. If you really want to play in high-refresh or 4K, then you can still do that, and I bet the 20-series will be the best out there, bar none. If you want the option of trying something new and amazing, with ray-tracing, you can do that too. And if you don't want to spend the money, then don't. It's a luxury item no one really needs to buy. Or you can get a 2070 if that is more in your price range. Or, you can keep whatever card you have. Lots of choices.

Last edited:
The pricing structure feels more like they are placing the new gen into the same bracket as the old gen (xx80 for xx80, as an example) with some performance gain (? 25%-50%, TBD), a surcharge to recover the RTX development investment, and an additional charge to cover the larger die cut. On top of that, the higher price gives some room for them to entice gamers into buying up 10 series cards. It's a win-win for them, since they can always drop the prices on their 20 series once the 10's dry up in the channel. Depending upon the benches, my feelings could change (y)

The pricing structure feels more like they are placing the new gen into the same bracket as the old gen (xx80 for xx80, as an example) with some performance gain (? 25%-50%, TBD), a surcharge to recover the RTX development investment, and an additional charge to cover the larger die cut. On top of that, the higher price gives some room for them to entice gamers into buying up 10 series cards. It's a win-win for them, since they can always drop the prices on their 20 series once the 10's dry up in the channel. Depending upon the benches, my feelings could change (y)

To me this just looks like they are renaming the lineup to be more clear to the consumer. The Titan cards were always an oddball of offering the best gaming performance, while being “not gaming” cards.

Titan Xp -> 2080 Ti
1080 Ti -> 2080
1080 -> 2070

Now the prices look mostly inline. I feel people would have bitched less if Nvidia just stuck with the older product naming.

Last edited:
To me this just looks like they are renaming the lineup to be more clear to the consumer. The Titan cards were always an oddball if offering the best gaming performance, while being “not gaming” cards.

Titan Xp -> 2080 Ti
1080 Ti -> 2080
1080 -> 2070

Now the prices look mostly inline. I feel people would have bitched less if Nvidia just stuck with the older product naming.

You think...people always whine at a new launch….going to take a look into the G80 launch trehad...and get me some "deja vu´" ;)

OMG...I was so right...looking back at the G80 launch thread...whiners found in abundace...I guess muppets never change.
If anyone want to see how whiney people can be..here is a link to the thread:
https://hardforum.com/threads/bfgtech-geforce-8800-gtx-and-8800-gts.1118166/

I mean…."gems" like this;

I'm kind of dissapointed...

8800 series on paper should be x3 faster than the 7950 series and they are luck to get x2 on certain situations.

Having x3 the shaders and higher bus, with the shaders supposively running at higher clock rate along with having more than x2 the Transistor count you'd easily get x3 or higher due the the hardwares efficiency over the old architecture.

Why didn't anyone bother to test Splinter Cell-Double Agent? A lot of companies are going to be using the Unreal Engine 3 so its makes sense for the New GPUs to be tested on new games that have more of the future features in them.

The only card on that list that I could afford is the RTX 2070 for $499, but Im sure the aftermarket ones will be even higher. Personally unless you game at 4K I think these cards are a joke! Nvidia is pushing ray tracing and from what I understand it will run at 1920x1080 1080P 30-60fps, thats pretty piss poor. So at 1440P and up good luck getting it to run at a decent frame rate if at all. I run currently at 2K 1440P and my 1080 is more then enough, I think the only real benefit of the higher end cards will be for people who run at 4K and need all the power they can get.

If you are in the market for a 1440P card I highly recommend picking up a used 1070ti or 1080 off ebay.
1070ti going for $ 300 shipped, 1080 for 350 shipped.

The only justification I see for 2080 or 2080ti at release price is if you game at 4k and your 1080ti is not quite up to task (1080ti currently $500 on ebay).

OAKmw4h.jpg

Oh...I am not the only one having this view...I love his "unfortunately there is a lot of ignorance in the gaming community"...QFT!

LOL JayZ is such a shill man, he makes it too obvious even when he tries to act impartial by saying stuff like, "welp they didn't show any performance numbers ... and it felt like an AMD press conference". Then he sits there and harps on and on about how awesome ray tracing is because it takes movie companies hours to render a ray traced scene (nevermind the fact that comparing a movie scene to a game is apples to oranges) and how lucky we are to have this technology for just $1300! The dude should just wear a t-shirt with Jensen's face on it because my bullshit meter went through the roof. He's a shill just like AdoredTV shills for AMD and tries to act neutral sometimes, both of them are sell-outs and should be ignored. IMO, NVIDIA designed RTX + Tensor for the datacenter/AI market and then needed ways to sell those failed cores to PC gamers so they came up with DLSS (which will hardly ever get used) and ray tracing as an excuse. Even if we excuse RTX cores as something gamers can really use, why do we need tensor cores in a gaming GPU? We really don't and I bet most gamers would take a 754nm optimized Pascal chip over this overpriced garbage.

Ray tracing will happen someday, maybe 2020 if AMD decides to include it in next generation consoles, otherwise it will go the way of PhysX like others have said because the masses won't have hardware ray tracing readily available to them so it will never gain traction. NVIDIA is selling us snake oil.

Got this from another site, this might shed some insight on pricing

https://www.techpowerup.com/246925/...-to-71-higher-than-previous-gen?cp=6#comments

Max dies per wafer (without defect): 58
Good dies: 39
Defective dies: 19
Partial dies: 8
Yield: ~68%
^ This is the absolute best case scenario. Ever.
More realistically we are looking at a defect rate of 0.15 which would give drastically worse numbers:
Good dies: 20
Defective dies: 38
Yield: ~34%
Calculator: http://caly-technologies.com/en/die-yield-calculator/
Assuming each wafer costs about 25000$ (it can't be much lower because Quadro RTX 8000 goes for 10000$ by itself so wafer is at least 2x more costly).
25000/20=1250$ well surprise surprise. If we get 20 good dies on 25000$ wafer the price is exactly what it is now for 2080Ti. But while the chip itself may the biggest cost per card there are other components costs that make up the BoM (Bill of Materials).

Got this from another site, this might shed some insight on pricing

https://www.techpowerup.com/246925/...-to-71-higher-than-previous-gen?cp=6#comments

Good dies: 39
Defective dies: 19
Yield: ~68%
^ This is the absolute best case scenario. Ever.
More realistically we are looking at a defect rate of 0.15 which would give drastically worse numbers:
Good dies: 20
Defective dies: 38
Yield: ~34%
Calculator: http://caly-technologies.com/en/die-yield-calculator/
Assuming each wafer costs about 25000$ (it can't be much lower because Quadro RTX 8000 goes for 10000$ by itself so wafer is at least 2x more costly).
25000/20=1250$ well surprise surprise. If we get 20 good dies on 25000$ wafer the price is exactly what it is now for 2080Ti. But while the chip itself may the biggest cost per card there are other components costs that make up the BoM (Bill of Materials).
Direct link to relevant comment:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/posts/3889746

A lot of people have been pointing this out, but normies only care about price to performance metrics.

Direct link to relevant comment:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/posts/3889746

A lot of people have been pointing this out, but normies only care about price to performance metrics.

Exactly. People sound like "I used to buy my BMW 5 series for 100k. Why are you selling me at 150k now?" "Well, we added in V8, a super turbo, some cool leather seat, a solid sound system and auto drive that cost money" "No, I don't care, you are cheating me. I am so going to get Toyota the next time they come out with a car that could compete with you."

I for one hope that it kills at 4K - and demolishes 1440p
RT is a buzzword imho - and will only appear in the games that nVidia sponsors.. like in the god old PhysX-days - and guess what, just like physx it will cripple your performance for some visual eye-candy.. I will take 4K60 over 1080 RT any day of the freaking week, it looks stellar.. but seriously the baked/faked stuff is fine by me.. for now..
the Fact that MS is including it with the new DX means next to nothing.. look at DX12 and unless the new consoles have it.. well, it stands a snowball chance in hell of being a success! (depending of the definition of success) i define it as - being present in games from the inception and not added as an aftertought.

Funny thing is.. i really wanna be wrong here and would buy it once it gets in stock - if the 4K performance is stellar

I would like the RTX 2080 Ti for 4K, but I just bought a FreeSync 4K TV and that is sticking with Vega for now. With Vega 64 CF I can mostly reach 60fps if the game supports Crossfire.

My Nvidia rig has 3x 1440p monitors. I'm hoping 2x 2080 Ti can get smooth 7680 x 1440 performance (I'm okay with High settings as long as it's above 60fps, preferably 90fps for GSync).

Currently I have GTX 1080 SLI in that rig, and it's not enough for 7680 x 1440 unless in really well optimized games (like DOOM). I figure I can also use 1 monitor for ray tracing, I'd be okay if I can get good frames for 1440p.

$1200 for 30-50 FPS @ 1080p with raytracing on in Shadow of the Tombraider? Come on Nvidia, you can't give is more value for our money?

The only possibly cool thing about the new RTX series is the rumor that NVLink will allow all the GPUs to share memory, so 2x 2080 TI will effectively have 22 GB of memory access. The question -- What game even uses close to 22GB of frame buffer? Answer - None Yet. Could be useful for workstationg applications but at that point... why didn't you just buy a Quadro instead?

Deus Ex MD at 4K Max settings can exceed 11GB of VRAM.

Also, can we stop talking about Tomb Raider? There were many demos shown at 60fps+ with Ray Tracing (BF5) and even at 4K over 90fps (Enlisted).

Deus Ex MD at 4K Max settings can exceed 11GB of VRAM.

I'd love to see how that works and test it for myself, but Deus Ex MD has never actually loaded for me since I bought it about a year ago. Absolutely none of the fixes have worked for me (I haven't created a new user account, but I won't be doing that to play a game). Gigantic. Pile. Of. Shit game.

Answer to OP: $1300 seems difficult pill to swallow, but considering that I am running on 1080 (which should yield something like double performance?), but considering, should I go down this route, I am most likely gonna pair it with a $2000+ monitor, might make the price a bit more palatable...

It's a value proposition. The prices seem high, yes, but if it's providing value, then it may be worth it.

We don't know where the performance actually is. If it's around 50% better, as rumored, then I don't think the price is that crazy. The MSRP of the 2080 Ti is $999, so the cost increase from a $699 1080 Ti falls in line with the performance rumors.

I mean, we've been at around the same performance for a while now. Titan X Pascal came out over 2 years ago, and there hasn't been a big development since. Now Nvidia finally has something new.

Agreed that Nvidia is gouging, but if the value is there then that's just how much it costs.

Nah, nvidia can pound sand.

I can buy it but don't need it right now. Thinking about how badly they're running amok with the pricing will ruin the experience the entire time I own the card, and I also don't particularly want to reward this kind of behavior. We're just telling them we're okay with this.

Back