How do you feel about Nvidia pricing on the new RTX video cards?

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
Well it has been officially confirmed now:

RTX 2080 Ti FE $1199
RTX 2080 FE $799
RTX 2070 FE $599

"Reference" model prices:

RTX 2080 Ti $999 and up
RTX 2080 $699 and up
RTX 2070 $499 and up

Honestly these prices blow my expectations out of the water.

The 2080 Ti is priced at Titan XP price levels.
The 2080 is priced at prior Ti price points.
And the 2070 is the most expensive 70 series card that I can remember.

Do you feel that Nvidia pricing is outrageous or does it feel reasonable given the current market for video cards and lack of competition from AMD?

Pricing is brilliant. It sucks, but is brilliant.

Pre-orders are flying off the shelves and does not compete with selling off 10 series inventory.

Genius.

the new ray-tracing tech made it inevitable that prices were going to be higher then normal...I still think Nvidia is crazy to overhype this so soon...it's going to take multiple generations to refine the tech

I feel as though I am going to buy a Crossfire Vega 64 for the price of a 2080 Ti and I am gonna smile about it.

Reactions: Curl
like this
The prices are depressing. I never paid more than $300 for a GPU but now... I'm just hoping the 2060 is RTX and not GTX.

I bought my SLI Titan XP's about 2 years ago and it is interesting to see that they are still worth hanging on to. I am excited that new tech is out though. I

I feel Nvidia justified the pricing in their presentation, but actual performance numbers remain to be seen. I'm really not expecting a massive performance lead in non-RTX uses (aka 99.9999% of games out there). RTX is super cool tech and I loved the game demos, but it will be a long time before mass adaption.

I wanna see the performance, but they did what they could. I was going to buy two but "just" bought one because of the price.

over hyped over priced who needs it, most games play well on consoles and phones hell they are made for them. The days of Crysis are long gone. You need ray-tracing on aging silicone for what? How many of you are producing movie special effects? This is the classic ploy, show something new and folks just have to have it and ignore the fact it's a tic not a toc for Nvidia. Do not be fooled. Look at the last ploy.... DX12 and we are all still waiting for a decent DX12 optimized game. Oh well

a) arn't there like 10 threads covering this already?

b) they are getting to a point where console gaming is starting to actually look appealing.
Yeah last game I bought on PC was Fallout 4. Everything I have bought since then has been XBONE or PS4. Not very [H] of me, I know. PCs are still the king of casual/indie/retro gaming but I think I'd rather not deal with the plague of problems PC games have these days. A game I might want may not subscribe to the proper video card bastardization that I have chosen, or may be a poor port in general. XBONEX is an amazing piece of hardware for a good price, I wonder if more games will actually support it. Sorry guys, I know this viewpoint won't be very popular.

Prices are higher than I expected, not by much. Still gonna buy a 2080Ti, but really hoping Intel (and AMD hopefully) are competitive in 2020 otherwise Nvidia will just continue to get more expensive.

Pricing is disappointing. But it's what we have to pay in order to get top tier performance thanks to AMD's ineptitude in the GPU arena.

It was steep, but I bought two 2080 Tis anyhow. If the performance is there, it should be worth it but I guess we'll see once more info comes out.

I think this is a classic bait and switch.

Sale everyone on the hype of ray tracing only to disappoint on actual numbers. No reason not to show how the 2080ti compares to the 1080ti unless the performance jump doesn’t not justify the lofty price.

like this
I was looking at the EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3. I paid $720 for my EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3. But there is no way in hell I'm going to pay double that for a single GPU.
RICK.gif

Last edited:
like this
As someone who has owned just about every top tier Nvidia gaming card since the 400 series (and some dual GPU ATI/AMD cards) - four 480s (yeah, they ran VERY hot), three 580 Classifieds, two 670s, two 780 Tis, two 780 Ti Classifieds, one 980 Ti, and one 1080 Ti:

Fudge 'em.

Fudge those prices.

Fudge 'em so hard. I'll go back to SLI (which I've come to loathe) and buy a cheap, used 1080 Ti for SLI before I pay more than fucking $800 for a single video card, let alone $1200.

Last edited:
I think this is a classic bait and switch.

Sale everyone on the hype of ray tracing only to disappoint on actual numbers. No reason not to show how the 2080ti compares to the 1080ti unless the performance jump doesn’t not justify the lofty price.

Bait and switch is the act of luring in consumers, usually with a low price, only to not actually offer that product and instead try to up sell into a more expensive product or bundle. Whatever Nvidia is doing... it's certainly not that.

I do find it odd that with this GPU release, Nvidia put 100% of their focus on ray tracing, and seemingly no word on performance. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I care a lot more about performance across the board than I care about getting support for ray tracing and fancy new AA, especially when such features are game specific and will likely see slow adoption rates. I guess it really didn't matter though since pre-orders appear to have sold out everywhere almost instantly, despite the ridiculous price tag.

Disappointing for sure, but I’m used to buying two top Ti cards for SLi.
I think this gen, I can get away with just one 2080 Ti for my 2160p.
First card where a single card can hopefully pull off 4K with some AA and remain close to 60FPS. We’ll see.
It better be a fast freaking card.

Hard to say until we see some reviews. If I was still using a 700 or 900 series card I'd consider just buying a used 10 series card because of these price hikes.

Too rich for my blood. Think its time to find a new hobby, RIP 1998-2018 It was a good run. :)

Well, no one is asking you to get the top end every release.

My kid spent that much on legos frequently, and that card full of technology, only cost 30% of that bag my wife gotten as her birthday present. Talking about hobby... :(

Unless there are significant performance gains in non Ray tracing games, a discounted 1080ti will be more appealing. If performance matches price, fair enough. If it's just for RT, no thanks.

I'm still running a pair of 980 Ti's in Sli and could not be happier.... Although the end of Sli is nigh (unless Nvidia can work something out with devs). One brilliant card would be nice though. That 1k price does sting. The product stack may have shifted though. AMD needs to sort their shit out!

Honestly. Nvidia is brilliant, they know people would buy anything they sell after the success of pascal. I mean look at it, preorders sold out and also absolutely no reviews. Everyone bought this on hype, hell nvidia didn't even give direct comparison to current gen in games. all they talked about was RTX opps. Thats it, no direct gaming performance like they showed when they launched pascal. They know people are going to buy and fanboys are nuts. Can't blame them. I honestly never thought I would see a day where a GPU that is 1200 bucks will sell out without even a single review. That is how bullish nvidia about the mindshare. Absolutely crazy! Almost double the price of last gen on the Ti and people bought them without even seeing a single review.

That presentation was boring as fuck and all he talked about was ray tracing, all he compared was ray tracing calculations. Hey turing is 5-6x faster and gtx 2070 is faster than titan xp in guess what? Ray tracing opps, lol! I just think alot of people took that as a fact that they are getting double the performance of titan xp.

Nvidia is like Apple of video cards now. They make people buy, no questions asked. This is the new norm now, 1200 dollar top of the line video card that used to be 699 and sold out without any reviews. Just brilliant by nvidia. They own their fanbase lol.

Ray tracing is nice but I don't get this thing about realistic image. Seriously nothing is that shiny in real life. The metro image he was showing, where the light was in a square around the desk it was unrealistic as hell, I mean you are telling me when light comes through the window it reflects perfectly as the size of the window and light does not go anywhere else? I mean its not pitch dark around the table if they were trying to make a realistic image.

Last edited:
I really want to get some 2080 Tis but for now am holding off until:

1) Games demonstrate that RTX is really worth the horsepower requirements.
2) Card is significantly faster than a 1080 Ti in all existing games (i.e., 30% or higher).

Most NV new tech takes at least a gen to mature and I need to wait for that. This might be the only time I skip a gen as I already have X1X and PS4 PRO for most games. On PC, the games are not significantly better on a 1440P 165 Hz screen vs. 4K HDR. PC is left only for shooters and really only Metro and BFV are there w/ RTX for now. 2 games and 1200 bucks per card is quite insane. Last time I bought an NV card for new tech, it was completely useless (think soft shadows/PCSS+, HBAO+, Hairworks, GI, etc.). It took at least the next release to refine this crap.

Unless these cards mine like mofos on crack, very little to purchase them right now.

Technically, pricing is absolutely fine since AMD is eating a dick right now.

Well it has been officially confirmed now:

RTX 2080 Ti FE $1199
RTX 2080 FE $799
RTX 2070 FE $599

"Reference" model prices:

RTX 2080 Ti $999 and up
RTX 2080 $699 and up
RTX 2070 $499 and up

Honestly these prices blow my expectations out of the water.

The 2080 Ti is priced at Titan XP price levels.
The 2080 is priced at prior Ti price points.
And the 2070 is the most expensive 70 series card that I can remember.

Do you feel that Nvidia pricing is outrageous or does it feel reasonable given the current market for video cards and lack of competition from AMD?

The pricing is laughable.

I'm sitting on a Titan Xp and these prices and performance do nothing for me. And that BFV Ray tracing video just makes Ray tracing look like a stupid gimmick right now. Just like Tessellation ultimately ended up being imho. I know it's the future, but not with these cards just yet.

"What's the point?", as far as I'm concerned.

I already have a FreeSync monitor which I can't use to its full potential, so this launch makes me seriously consider waiting for Vega 7nm. I would not have even considered AMD if pricing stayed the same as for Pascal.

I would just wait for benchmarks. The ray tracing is a distraction. It might very well be the start if something great, but what kind of frames do you get with it enabled? How much VRAM do you really need to do it? Also, how does the card perform at X game at Y resolution? Once we know that you can evaluate whether this product makes sense. Until then, its just a guy in a leather jacket holding a video card.

The ray tracing could take 5 years to properly implement. When the card is knocking out 60fps min with that enabled I’ll take notice.

Back