How do you degauss a monitor with no degauss button?

Naldo

2[H]4U
Well, stupid me was tinkering with a subwoofer for my car and (dont laugh) accidentally aimed the magnet at my monitor, now its all the colors are all messed up. This is an old (very old) monitor, and it has no degauss button. Any ideas on how to degauss it and get it back to normal? Thanks!

You need a degaussing coil. Pretty cheap at most parts stores...just read the directions before you use it, you can actually make the problem worse.

On a side note, most monitors come with an auto degausser..try turning the unit on and off a few time.

BillR

Goto sears. You can get a little screwdriver magnetizer/demagnetizer for 3 bucks. Use the demagnetizer side and wave it really close to the screen to clear it up. This isn't speculation. I've done this plenty of times and it does help. If it doesn't help, you are only out $3 and you'll have something to magnetize you screwdrivers. ;)

At sears.com search in TOOLS for demagnetizer

Ever try turning it off and turning it back on? worked for me... but you've probably already tried it

This was a very good question, indeed. Actually, I'm wondering if this demagnetizing coil will work for a TV screen as well.. My 25" Sony color television has exhibited massive discolorization where parts of the screen are purplish-green and I'm wondering if degaussing it might make a difference.

Anyone ever tried this idea? If it works, I might just have a personal TV for my 2nd apartment move-in soon afterall.

Dark Assassin

Some monitors have an option to deguass in their OSD (On Screen Display). Check around in the options.

And here's an idea, just theory though. Put it right up next to another monitor, and deguass the second monitor. I know when having two side-by-side if one deguasses the other will flicker like it got deguassed too, maybe that can help you out.

Dark Assassin said:
This was a very good question, indeed. Actually, I'm wondering if this demagnetizing coil will work for a TV screen as well.. My 25" Sony color television has exhibited massive discolorization where parts of the screen are purplish-green and I'm wondering if degaussing it might make a difference.

Anyone ever tried this idea? If it works, I might just have a personal TV for my 2nd apartment move-in soon afterall.

Dark Assassin

Yes, the little demagnetizer will work on a tv and it's what I first used it on. My RCA 27" that I used to have would develop a purple spot from time to time. The demagnetizer would get rid of it.

buy the deguazingcoil... there is a reason deguasing coils are as big as they are ;)

Dark Assassin said:

Dark Assassin

Even if that isn't the problem, I don't think it would hurt to try seeing how cheap the coils and demagnetizers are... Im assuming its old since it doesn't have an option to degauss, or maybe you just haven't found it? :)

figgie said:
buy the deguazingcoil... there is a reason deguasing coils are as big as they are ;)

beleive this man, i worked at bestbuy as a tech for some time ago and the degauzing coil was great for tv's and pc monitors that had some 'issues'

There is an old discolored monitor. Maybe i should take it and try this. Worst case i throw it away; best case, free 19'' monitor.

Well, I'd prefer to have an actual degaussing coil, but what is the price on an item like this? It certainly sounds like something a TV repairman would carry on-site.

I definitely checked Radioshack and Lowe's and neither had any degaussing wire, nor had any personnel that knew what exactly it was. I asked 2 different associates at each place, and they each pointed me to the place in the store where the other did.

I'll have to check Sears out soon. I looked online and saw a screwdriver demagnetizer, but how exactly would that work on a TV? You have to stick the tool inside the allotted hole for results, I fail to see how you can "wave it against the screen", as Shadow put it.

Dark Assassin

Well if you actually have a degaussing coil, it is a lot better than using the little demagnetizer. I just offered the degmagnetizer as a suggestion because it's so cheap and it has worked for me and might work for you.

To demagnetize and magnetize the screwdriver, you don't have to put it in the inside. You put the screwdriver in contact with the end that you want. One end is the magnetizer and the other is the demagnetzer. For TV screens, you put the demagnetizer end as close to the screen as you can get it without touching it. The demagnetizer works in the same way that putting the speaker magnet next to the tv does; only the opposite effect.

The degaussing coil is the preferred and recommended method and should work a lot better than the little demagnetizer, but if you can't get a degaussing coil, then get the little demagnetizer.

Again the little degmagnetizer is not the PROPER tool for the job. Sometimes we break the rules though. :D

Put the monitor as close to a new monitor as you can and fire away at the degauss button :D

It seriously works good, fixed an old 13" doing it.

Back