how do you deal with mouse cord snagging?

Citizen Snips

Limp Gawd
I have been using an MX518 for quite awhile now. While I really like this mouse, the cable snagging drives me nuts. My PC is on the ground under my desk, and there isn't any room to put it on top of the desk, so I am forced to let the mouse cord run down the back of the desk. This creates a number of problems - the cable bumps into and/or gets snagged on the desk, on other cables behind the desk, and on objects on the desk itself, such as my monitor's base. These disruptions really screw up my movement in games.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do about it? I did some searching and found a few products that claim to fix this issue:

1. Mouse Bungee
2. Razer Armadillo
3. Surface 1030 (with cord clip)
4. wireless mouse (Logitech MX1100)

Has anyone used any of these products? The problem I can see with options 1 and 2 are that the bungee and armadillo themselves are not bolted to the desk, so what's to keep them from simply sliding around with the mouse cord as I move the mouse around? Are they extremely heavy to prevent movement? What about option 3?

Right now I try to pin down the mouse cord underneath one of my speakers, but it doesn't work very well because the speakers aren't very heavy and are turned on and off by pressing two buttons on the top of the speaker simultaneously, which usually causes my mouse cord to slip loose. Also this setup still doesn't prevent the slack in the mouse cord from hitting things on my desk and interfering with my mouse movement.

Option 4 sounds good except for all the horror stories I have read about wireless mice and gaming.

What do you guys do? If you use a wireless mouse, could you specify which one?

Last edited:
I just keep it simple. Since I use both a corded mouse and keyboard (the only way to go IMHO) I just zip tie the mouse cord to the keyboard cord leaving enough slack for full mouse movement. Works like a charm and costs less than a cent.

I just use a cordless mouse. Only issue I have is remembering to put it in the cradle when im done.

I've been using an MX700 since 2003 and haven't looked back. I hate messing with cables with regards to the mouse and have no intent to ever use a wired mouse on my main system again.

I don't know what kind of problems people run into, but I can't tell a difference between my MX700 and any other wired mouse I have ever used. The only problem I have is if I forget to put the mouse in the cradle and used it heavily beforehand. At that point, the mouse will sometimes run low on power. I have a backup plan for that which is two AA batteries sitting on my desk and doesn't take more than a few seconds to swap them out.

what is it about corded mice that makes me think they're more precise...?
i've heard the same thing about cordless mice being no different but I can't get over my personal conception that it can't be lol.

I run it behind my back right keyboard leg and leave a 17.5" belly. I've never had a problem.

Last edited:
Went to wireless since I hated when the cord snagged.
I game with an MX1000 and it is very precise.

With the way my computer is set up I don't get snagging very often. When it does I just pull up on the cord lightly and its all good.

My razer Krait has like a 7 foot cord. So, i have a bit extra sitting on my desk to stop cord-snag.

i used to game with an mx1000. was too heavy for fps that needed quick reaction. cs, tfc etc.

also found that on occasion, there'd be times when a slight movement wasn't detected. tried messin around with it a bit, nothin changed.

meh, to each his own.

razer deathadder is all i use these days.

I went wireless and have absolutely no issues. (MX Rev)
I charge it once every few weeks, and weight hasn't been a problem for me unlike the MX1000 (no lag to speak of either).

You might want to put the mouse receiver in a front USB port or at the end of an extension cable, because there are dropouts sometimes if it's too far from the mouse, due to interference I believe. In ideal conditions, you can get over 15ft through walls.

i used to game with an mx1000. was too heavy for fps that needed quick reaction. cs, tfc etc.

also found that on occasion, there'd be times when a slight movement wasn't detected. tried messin around with it a bit, nothin changed.

meh, to each his own.

razer deathadder is all i use these days.

I mainly play CS:S and I love the weight and shape of the MX1000.

I like to use the weight of a speaker on my desk as a cord anchor. I never cared much for a wireless keyboard/mouse although I can never seem to think of a rational reason for my dislike.

Agree with using everyday things. Sometimes it's using a TI-83, and laying it on an extra section of cord. Or it could be a textbook. Point is, use anything, and cord snagging doesn't happen.

I've used one of these for YEARS! best 3 dollars I ever spent.
CA_MouseKlip.jpg

The func surface 1030 you mentioned works great. It's a really good mousepad, although it does tend to wear down the smoother side after a while. The clip works really well. You just run the cord through it, make a loop on the other side and you never have cord issues, pulling or snagging again.

The mouse bungees are weighted, you can also tape them down. They shouldn't move around unless you don't have the right amount of slack and are yanking on the cord really hard.

Cordless mice tend to be heavier than corded mice. If you like heavy mice, that might be a bonus for you, but since I grip my mouse I want to be able to move and lift it without any effort. After my experience with the MX1000, I went back to corded mice only. Maybe they're more responsive now, but I haven't felt like taking that chance. I just never got the precise movements I wanted on the cordless mice. If you're like me and have been playing FPS and RTS for years, any latency in the movement of the mouse and the response of the cursor is beyond frustrating.

I'm currently using the Razer DeathAdder corded mouse. Now, if someone could make a cordless mouse with the response and lightness this thing has, I'd actually consider switching. Until then, I'll find a way to keep the cord out of my way. Currently I'm using 2 wire holders (the kind you nail into the wall) nailed into the back of my desk to hold the cable exactly where I want it. Put a twist in the cable and then tack it down on either side... it's not going anywhere. :)

I use a piece of heavy duty tape and tack it to the back of my desk out of sight. Works good.

4. wireless mouse (Logitech MX1100)

Option 4 sounds good except for all the horror stories I have read about wireless mice and gaming.

Have been using one since they came out... First one was bad had to exchange it, thumb button was messed up, the one i have right now is good.

It's a unique mouse though... it will take some time to get use to, sensor is located on the top of the Y axis... right under the main buttons. So it's NOT in the middle! The batteries last crazy long time, few months like it's advertised. There is occasional/stutter lag which lasts around 2 seconds. Very rarely though... Once a week? But it's probably because the receiver and the mice is far apart between bunch of stuff. If you are a "drag and pickup" person, MX1100 is not for you, it is not light.

Design of the mouse is incredible, fits the hand perfectly. The keys can be mapped, all of them. Also I love the fly wheel, it is very different from Revolution because it is mechanical not software based, you can switch to the traditional or you can switch it to the fly wheel, makes scrawling trough pages super fast.

No horror stories from Wireless mouse gaming what so ever... (only once the mouse died on me, MX1000 thats because i forgot to charge it, duh...) this is my 3rd Logitech mice, 2nd wireless, before this one i had MX1000... (still have it) kind of prefer MX1000 for gaming though...

Have been using one since they came out... First one was bad had to exchange it, thumb button was messed up, the one i have right now is good.

It's a unique mouse though... it will take some time to get use to, sensor is located on the top of the Y axis... right under the main buttons. So it's NOT in the middle! The batteries last crazy long time, few months like it's advertised. There is occasional/stutter lag which lasts around 2 seconds. Very rarely though... Once a week? But it's probably because the receiver and the mice is far apart between bunch of stuff. If you are a "drag and pickup" person, MX1100 is not for you, it is not light.

Design of the mouse is incredible, fits the hand perfectly. The keys can be mapped, all of them. Also I love the fly wheel, it is very different from Revolution because it is mechanical not software based, you can switch to the traditional or you can switch it to the fly wheel, makes scrawling trough pages super fast.

No horror stories from Wireless mouse gaming what so ever... (only once the mouse died on me, MX1000 thats because i forgot to charge it, duh...) this is my 3rd Logitech mice, 2nd wireless, before this one i had MX1000... (still have it) kind of prefer MX1000 for gaming though...

I've messed around with the MX1100 in the store before. It fits my hand really well. I have long fingers, so the larger size of this mouse is fine for me. The only problem I could anticipate with the MX1100, aside from lag and other issues common to all wireless mice, is that the side buttons are higher up and narrower than what I'm used to using with my MX518. Basically they take longer to access on the MX1100 than the MX518. Given that I typically map critical functions to those buttons (i.e. reload) it could be a problem if they take longer to access.

A little curl in the cord is all you need. Sometimes the cord gets wily and I lose the bend, but this is rare and not inconvenient.

You got reload mapped to your mouse? Umm...ooooookay. Yes MX1100 is different from all other MX series. In this case MX1000 would be a better choice for you, it has a lot more in common like the MXxxx series. Try to find one on eBay.

I just keep it simple. Since I use both a corded mouse and keyboard (the only way to go IMHO) I just zip tie the mouse cord to the keyboard cord leaving enough slack for full mouse movement. Works like a charm and costs less than a cent.

first answer, done.. end thread.... f

:)

I don't

I just rage and pull the mouse back to create more cord on the table

Logitech G5 keyboard has a track underneath for mouse cord. That's my solution.

You got reload mapped to your mouse? Umm...ooooookay. Yes MX1100 is different from all other MX series. In this case MX1000 would be a better choice for you, it has a lot more in common like the MXxxx series. Try to find one on eBay.

What's wrong with mapping reload to one of the side mouse buttons? :confused:

Back