How do you create a dial hot key (or short cut ) on your main android phone

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I was using Nokia, and I have 2 hot key: Call forward to home, and Cancel call forward from home

and this is done by adding the word "Home" as part of the caller list (People). And the dealer put these 2 square icons on my main screen as I boot up the Nokia phone

Is there a way to do the same thing on a Motorola Android phone?

My phone is a Moto G6.

1. Find out what the "Short Codes" are for your particular carrier.

Example: Here are the Short Codes for T-Mobile

2. Look for the short codes associated with "Call forward" and "Cancel call forward"

3. For instructional purposes, I created a Contact and labeled it T-Mobile Data Usage
Then I edited the contact and gave it the telephone number #932# which is their short code for checking data usage

4. For your purposes you would be creating two contacts in your caller list and would label them "Home Call Forward" and "Home Cancel Call Forward".

Give "Home Call Forward" the phone number that is the short code for "Call Forward".
Give "Home Cancel Call Forward" the phone number that is the short code for "Cancel Call Forward".

5. Add the two contacts to your home screen.

6. What will end up on your home screen are actually shortcuts.

7. Long Press (not tap) on those shortcuts and you will see an option to Edit. Choosing "Edit" will allow you to change the name of the shortcut to whatever you like. No need to worry about doing that, you will only be renaming the shortcut on your home screen - you will not be renaming the contact as it appears in your list of contacts.

Click the images to enlarge and make them appear more clear

0.png 1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png

Last edited:
thanks, I just got the phone a few hr. ago, just start charging up the battery, I'll give this a try. I use Motorola E5

Will your Moto E5 be using the same carrier your Nokia was using? Do you still have your Nokia?

If yes, you won't have to do an internet search to find your carrier's "Call forward" and "Cancel call forward" short codes.
Use the same "Call forward" and "Cancel call forward" short codes that your Nokia was using. Peek into the two 'Home (People)' listings on your Nokia to see what they are.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you are trying to do but if it's a contact (i.e. phone number) that you are trying to quickly call, just add those contacts as 1x1 sized widgets.

Not quite sure what you are trying to do but if it's a contact (i.e. phone number) that you are trying to quickly call, just add those contacts as 1x1 sized widgets.

Am glad you brought that up Tup3x. Happy Hopping, disregard my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th screenshot because that creates a "Contact" widget not a "Direct dial" widget . Instead, do what Tup3x recommends and create two "Direct dial" widgets.

After you create the contacts access your phone's available widgets by long pressing on a blank area of your home screen. Within the directory of widgets scroll down to Contacts and you will see three different contact widgets:

Direct Dial
Direct Message
Contact

Choose the "Direct dial" widget.
aa.png

If you were able to import your Nokia contacts to your Motorola phone that would be great, there would be no need to go through the steps of creating those two contacts. Your sole task would then be creating your two Direct dial widgets.

Last edited:
Back