How do you cool your 3900x?

Custom loop. 360 radiator with my Titan X Pascal running an EK full cover waterblock and my 3900X with an EK Velocity RGB block.

I cool a 3950X with an NH-D15 and would gladly do the same on a 3900X. I think the big boy air coolers like Noctua NH-D15, Deep Cool Assassin III, and Zalman CNPS20X are great for 3900X and even 3950X.

This is going to be fun... I just ordered a 3900x, ram, and nvme. I wonder if my Hyper 212 Black is any better than the stock cooler? I'm not sure, either way I'll probably go stock hsf w/ AS5 until I get a different hsf down the road. I will keep you all posted later.

This is going to be fun... I just ordered a 3900x, ram, and nvme. I wonder if my Hyper 212 Black is any better than the stock cooler? I'm not sure, either way I'll probably go stock hsf w/ AS5 until I get a different hsf down the road. I will keep you all posted later.

Might depend on your setup as far as which cooler works better. The stock cooler is top-down, while the 212 Black looks like it's a tower cooler. Sounds like you've got two options for which way you want air to flow 🙂

Running a NH-D15 with the 3900x at 4.0ghz (all core) and 1.16875v. The temps are in mid 60's C full load. Stock clocks would push ~4.05ghz (all cores) at ~1.32v full load with mid 70's C temps so I manually tuned it for lower heat/power draw. I don't care much for single core boost right now.

I also need to play around with a different thermal paste application (currently using noctua paste that came with the cooler applied on the spreader in an X. Will try the 3 dots next time.)

I'd go custom loop if you want to push this cpu because the voltage/heat ramps up quick when you get above 4.1-4.2ghz all core.

fyi, for anyone carrying over a noctua from an older build, it took 2.5 weeks to get the free AM4 mounting hardware kit from Noctua (shipped from Europe to USA).

so i guess i need to try and re-paste my 3800X I'm getting up to 80c in prime 95 with D15s (using Gelid GC-Extreme which has been good to me in the past)

I cool a 3950X with an NH-D15 and would gladly do the same on a 3900X. I think the big boy air coolers like Noctua NH-D15, Deep Cool Assassin III, and Zalman CNPS20X are great for 3900X and even 3950X.

what are your temps looking like?

I just replaced my 2700x rig with a new 3900x build. I decided to try water cooling for the first time so I have a Corsair H100i Pro. What is a good program to monitor temps?

I just replaced my 2700x rig with a new 3900x build. I decided to try water cooling for the first time so I have a Corsair H100i Pro. What is a good program to monitor temps?
you can monitor temps with a bunch of stuff. if you have afterburner installed that will, theres hwinfo, corsair icue will monitor a tonne of stuff, you mobo suite if you have one. im sure theres more.

I wrote a quick tutorial on this. I suggest you do not use any branded monitoring tool, icue, asus cart, corsair etc as they all cause observer effects. Setup hwinfo to use rtss for OSD is the ideal way to go about it and monitor cpu die average for temp. You can pick and choose what to look at with hwinfo.

https://hardforum.com/threads/build...2-raid-render-monster.1990145/post-1044457505

I recommend QuickCPU for tweaking.
For my Ryzen 2700 and MSI B450i motherboard, QuickCPU really does not offer much tweaking at all. No core clock or voltage control. The things that can be adjusted actually can degrade performance from my testing so far, (Core Parking, Turbo boost index, Frequency scaling index). Upping Frequency scaling index destroys PB it seems, upping Turbo boost index seems to help a little. This MSI motherboard bios options are limited and disappointing, it is a low end board. The newer Ryzen Master also is very limited with this setup but can control CPU frequency and voltage, looks like per core but have not tested it out. Below is results for different settings with QuickCPU.

2020-05-24.png

For my Ryzen 2700 and MSI B450i motherboard, QuickCPU really does not offer much tweaking at all. No core clock or voltage control. The things that can be adjusted actually can degrade performance from my testing so far, (Core Parking, Turbo boost index, Frequency scaling index). Upping Frequency scaling index destroys PB it seems, upping Turbo boost index seems to help a little. This MSI motherboard bios options are limited and disappointing, it is a low end board. The newer Ryzen Master also is very limited with this setup but can control CPU frequency and voltage, looks like per core but have not tested it out. Below is results for different settings with QuickCPU.

from what i gathered on their webpage, its an intel thing.
edit: maybe not...

from what i gathered on their webpage, its an intel thing.
edit: maybe not...
Yeah, looks that way, I will try it on my Intel rig. Don't think it will do much for 3900x, does have some nice monitoring though.

I use Wraith prism for my 3900x.
It is the most bang for your buck when a question arises over the affordability and efficiency.

I use Wraith prism for my 3900x.
It is the most bang for your buck when a question arises over the affordability and efficiency.
I’m running the Wraith Prism in the interim while my custom water loop parts are coming in. It’s a decent cooler for one that comes with the CPU. But the constant very brief ramping up and down of the fan as it reacts to temperature changes is annoying.

Reactions: x509
like this
I’m running the Wraith Prism in the interim while my custom water loop parts are coming in. It’s a decent cooler for one that comes with the CPU. But the constant very brief ramping up and down of the fan as it reacts to temperature changes is annoying.
you can fix that by setting a custom fan curve. watch your temps and find the highest spike. then create a curve that doesnt ramp up at all until a couple C after the high spike. i have mine flat at 25% until 45c then ramps to 100% at 80c. no more up and down fan noise.

you can fix that by setting a custom fan curve. watch your temps and find the highest spike. then create a curve that doesn't ramp up at all until a couple C after the high spike. i have mine flat at 25% until 45c then ramps to 100% at 80c. no more up and down fan noise.
Sounds good, but if the fan doesn't ramp up, does the CPU stay hot?

Although the answer seems completely obvious. I'm thinking of getting an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280MM or (preferably) 360MM for my eventual 3900X or 3950X upgrade whenever I can actually find it in stock somewhere.

I'm guessing there's likely nothing at all I need to worry about? I understand that, with my board, my VRMS are likely gonna be super hot - i'm hoping that with 3x 140mm intake fans and a full 360mm of exhaust fans at the top of my case it should help a bit.

From what tests I've seen, it looks like a decent upgrade to my Thermalright Macho Rev B Air Cooling. (Which will be moving to a different system along with my R7 1700.)

Although the answer seems completely obvious. I'm thinking of getting an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280MM or (preferably) 360MM for my eventual 3900X or 3950X upgrade whenever I can actually find it in stock somewhere.

I'm guessing there's likely nothing at all I need to worry about? I understand that, with my board, my VRMS are likely gonna be super hot - i'm hoping that with 3x 140mm intake fans and a full 360mm of exhaust fans at the top of my case it should help a bit.

From what tests I've seen, it looks like a decent upgrade to my Thermalright Macho Rev B Air Cooling. (Which will be moving to a different system along with my R7 1700.)

I would suggest 360MM if you're going down this road. The Macho is plenty good for what it needs to be.

Yeah, I love my macho but when I move my 1700 over to a different system it's likely also making the move. (Currently that system is a Ryzen 1400 with a Hyper 212). I'm debating on if I want to go AIO or just go with the best air cooling possible Noctua DH-15), for the past few months i'd have likely errored towards air cooling but the price/performance of those new Arctic coolers just seem WAY too good to pass up considering its a pretty minor price increase.

Yeah, I love my macho but when I move my 1700 over to a different system it's likely also making the move. (Currently that system is a Ryzen 1400 with a Hyper 212). I'm debating on if I want to go AIO or just go with the best air cooling possible Noctua DH-15), for the past few months i'd have likely errored towards air cooling but the price/performance of those new Arctic coolers just seem WAY too good to pass up considering its a pretty minor price increase.

As someone who has the D15 on a known hot chip, I would say if you're going to go AIO then go 360 or more, otherwise stick to high end air cooling. The 3950x, 9700k, 9900k, 10700k (and above) all need good cooling.

The 3900 is close to that list too.

Last edited:
As someone who has the D15 on a known hot chip, I would say if you're going to go AIO then go 360 or more, otherwise stick to high end air cooling. The 3950x, 9700k, 9900k, 10700k (and above) all need good cooling.

The 3900 is close to that list too.
As someone who has had a high-end air cooler and a 360 AIO; stick with the high-end air cooler. It'll perform the same yet at a fraction of the cost and you won't ever have to worry about a leak.

As someone who has had a high-end air cooler and a 360 AIO; stick with the high-end air cooler. It'll perform the same yet at a fraction of the cost and you won't ever have to worry about a leak.

This is exactly the reason I went with a high end air cooler.

Cooling mine with a Noctua U12A in a Fractal Define Nano S loaded with Noctua fans (2x 140mm top exhaust, 2x 140mm front intake, 1x 120mm back exhaust and 1x 150mm bottom intake). Motherboard is ASUS Strix X570-i.

Idles around 36-38C (24C ambient temp). Hovered around 41-42 last week (was 40C outside).

Before I set the offset to -0.075 it would idle around 45C.

Corsair liquid cooler is all I need. I have 4 case fans. I live in the desert, so it gets hot here.

Back