How do you clean your computer from dust?

Nom Anor

Limp Gawd
over the time it accumulates soo much dust, it's unbelieveable.

i use vacuum cleaner, but it's not very effective. it sucks out heavy dust balls, but there's still a lot of it left on the surface..

how do you deal with it?

Take it outside and use a Can of Air is what I do, I wish I could aford a good air compressor, but then I would be worried about water building up in the system and ruining something. I thought about getting a Water Acumulator with it but not sure how relaible they are.
Anyone use an Aircompressor? What do you do to keep it safe!

i use canned air.

when it comes to cleaning fan blades, I lightly put my finger on 'em to not spin them like crazy with the air.

I take em out in the driveway and use the blow gun and air compressor..

If you have a decent filter/water seperator on your compressor moisture shouldn't be a problem..

Every 4-5 months or so dial in 75 lbs psi on the air compressor and 90 seconds later looks like new again.... ;)

I use a small, soft paint brush and my shop vac (set to blow instead of vacuum). Only issue I ever had was being too aggresive and wound up dislodging a Sata cable.
Obviously best done outside the house!

ok Here's a related question for you guys. The local stores charge a ton for that canned air stuff.. Any one know where to get it cheap?

The best deals I have found for canned air is at Sam's Club or Cosco.

Still expensive though.

Yeah the Canned air is expensive, thats why I was considering getting an Air Compressor, I was thinking even a smaller one w/ 1 gallon tank should be more than enough, I see them all over the place for less than $100.
At $5 a can and about 2 cans a month it should pay for itself an about a year. Plus all those times when I am out and need it so I wait till I get to the store won't ever happen again.

I use an air compressor currently but my grandpa made a box where the air that enters the pc is filtered. It's a box that the computer sits on with an L shaped fan in the middle of it. The box this fan is in has a screen on the side to collect the dust and there is a hole in the bottom middle of his case. This basically eliminates all dust from the computer and one that I plan to make next year.

zagon said:
I use an air compressor currently but my grandpa made a box where the air that enters the pc is filtered. It's a box that the computer sits on with an L shaped fan in the middle of it. The box this fan is in has a screen on the side to collect the dust and there is a hole in the bottom middle of his case. This basically eliminates all dust from the computer and one that I plan to make next year.

nice.

don't laugh but cheap ass panty hose provides a good amount of filtering without impeding air flow too much. non scientific before and after personal observation.

I use vac because I live in an apartment so I cant really go outside to clean my case. However, compressed air is the best because it blows off the dust vac cant pick up

1) pry away pieces of accumulated dust with finger
2) use toothpick and pry away accumulated dust that cannot be reached with finger
3) After prying away/dislodging dust, put mouth to heatsink and blow air through with mouth.

as for dust in the case and stuff, I just swipe it away with my hands. Because compressed air costs too much.

I use a 27 gallon air compressor at about 100PSI. I never have any water issues either, because I have a water/air filter mounted on it.

Air compressors can be bad for your fans as they're really high pressure, but they work insanely well. If you run a hose straight to your compressor tank, you shouldn't have a lot of moisture problem. Just fire some air the opposite direction for 10 seconds, and that *should* get all the water. In my shop, I have 300 feet of plumbing between my air nozzle and the compressor, and we don't even have any high-tech anti-water stuff. A couple traps is all. In the paint booth, we have a pressure regulator, but just for blowing dust out that's not necessary. Watch around on craigslist for a cheap air compressor.

Sears is always having sales on their compressors. Keep an eye out for their sales. While you're at it.. sign up for the Craftsman club... it's free to join and you get an additional 10% off.

Canned compressed air is expensive... especially, when your wife likes to tease the family dog with it.... I have a weird dog.

Back