How do you choose what game to play if you have like 250 steam games?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
I figured I just wasn't focused enough on my steam Library so I took like 4 games I really wanted to see more of and put those on my FAVORITES list. I figure I will have less jumping around for games that might overwhelm my time and general interest in the title. All you do is right click and it sends the game from your list to the favorites section.

Easy. I chose Witcher 3, and now I won't have to choose again for like another hundred gaming hours. :D

But yeah, categorization is your friend. I keep several categories, including a list of games I still need to finish, ones I've finished ~100%, and ones for various catagories like Multi-Player Only, Hot-Seat Co-Op, and other Genre's that I don't play that much like Driving, Casual, and Strategy.

And the ones I'm actually currently playing, I actually keep un-categorized. When I choose one out of the "Need to Finish" category, I remove the tag so it goes at the bottom of the list, and when I finish one, I set it to "100% Completed", and it gets moved out of the current list. This method works pretty well because when I buy a new game it goes in the un-categorized list so I can see what's new, and those are often what I'm playing currently. And if I buy a new game, try it, and don't like it, I will send it to the "Need to Finish" or one of the other bins and probably never look at it again... like most of the ~400 games in my library. :p

And my Favorites list is really just for games I really love. The multi-player games I play with friends a lot, and SP games that were amazing and I think I'll want to play them over and over. Just because I'm playing a game currently doesn't mean it goes in Favorites.

That's pretty easy actually. I categorize. When I feel like playing a game, I just scroll through the list, and end up not playing any of them. ;)

I have around 100 and I usually keep a dozen installed at any one time. Some are games I'm actively playing through (like the Witcher 3), some are games I plan to eventually get around to (like AC: Unity), and others are games I'll just play at random for a few minutes like Street Fighter 4 or even Crysis 1.

Categories but it's not very clean right now. The to be completed is a mess. I'm just finishing up baldurs gate this week then I'll hit an fps to mix things up. Thats the best thing to do. Keep mixing up your genres.

I have racers, fighting games, indie crap, mfps, to be completed, and a crap fold of shit I didn't want and have intention of finishing.

I'm up to 456 right now on Steam, with another 20 on Origin, 5 on Uplay, and 1 on Battle.net. Occasionally I'll have the urge to play a particular game, so I'll install it. When I finish a game I'll uninstall it and browse my list in large icon view to find something that piques interest. Aside from that I have a list of games I keep installed at all times (Titan Quest and Dark Souls among them). All in all I have 12-16 games installed at any one time. One absolute rule I have is that I will not uninstall a game until I play through it at least once. Just like e-mail I find categorizing things a completely fruitless attempt and a waste of time.

I really should categorize mine. So far, I just put desktop icons for the subset that I have installed at a given time. This does the trick pretty well, but a categorized list would be pretty nice too.

I have 550+ games and generally just play a game in the genre that I feel like it at the moment. I never plan out what I'm playing in advance, I just usually hop in a game that I feel like playing. If I don't feel like playing a game I go outside. Gotta be in the mood to actually play a game.

Though since Witcher 3 came out that's all I've played and haven't even thought about playing something else and already played it for around 320 hours. I'm actually really surprised I've been hooked this long.

I look up time to complete on the internet and look for ones I can knock out 2-4 deep on a weekend. I always play on normal difficulty and I change genres every time I beat one.

Wow, some of you really plan out your gaming time. Nothing wrong with that at all, but quite a bit different than myself. I'm more like Lmah2x above, where I just look, and play what catches my eye when I feel like (or have time to) play. However, I am thinking about categorizing my games just into some easy to spot groups just for quick visualization.

I figured I just wasn't focused enough on my steam Library so I took like 4 games I really wanted to see more of and put those on my FAVORITES list. I figure I will have less jumping around for games that might overwhelm my time and general interest in the title. All you do is right click and it sends the game from your list to the favorites section.

I try to narrow it down to a few titles then I'll google the average time to complete. Then I will lean towards the shortest ones that way I can knock them off my list and not make so overwhelming. I also play on it on EASY to save me time.

Last edited:
I try to limit the amount of games I have installed so it keeps my choices narrowed down when I want to play.

Usually I have a hard time (356 games - only play maybe 2 hours a week), but I just picked up Stick of Truth. So the answer is pretty obvious.

just do like I do, play your favorite and leave the others for "one day" (while you keep buying others during sales)

I´m going through my library as follows:

1) Sort games in categories. I have: Never, Maybe and Priority. Lot of Never come from various bundles and deals as extras for me.
2) Select 2-3 games and play them until I either finish them or I find some intolerable flaws which causes me to push the game into Never.

Rinse and repeat until you have reduced your backlog to minimum. ;)

I have about 100 games and I fired up 2 that I enjoyed in the past, Black Ops 2 and Ghosts, but after playing them the other day, I am going to uninstall them since they are crap. I can't believe I actually enjoyed playing them in the past.

I also have a bunch of games that I "want' to play but haven't gotten the desire to actually fire them up.

Make it a drinking game somehow....you will probably end up piss face drunk and wont play anything.

Steam has become collecting games not playing them. I like to look at what I have and then I log off and go do something else.

I have my list categorized by how much I like the game, and then a category for game I've yet to play. So my strategy is to look at the unplayed games list, pick one that sounds good, install it, and then change my mind and play more Terraria :D.

I just stare at my steam library, kinda clicking around it, going ho hummm...click on the store link, see if anything new is on sale, maybe buy something, maybe not, go back to steam library screen, click around some more. decide to look at pron and take a nap.

Steam has become collecting games not playing them. I like to look at what I have and then I log off and go do something else.

Yeah there may be something to that.

Some days, opening Steam definitely feels like this..

larrydavid2.gif

Pretty simple I have 2 steam games in my library, guess I don't game much. Man I'm getting old and priorities have changed.

playing backlogs isn't planned, it just happens for me...right now instead of playing a game in my Library that I never played before I'm replaying Arkham Asylum and Arkham City (in preparation for Arkham Knight)

just checked my Steam library and was surprised to see I only have 13 games that I have not played (out of 63 total)...not too surprising I guess as I usually only buy games I know I will play relatively soon...even with Steam sales I buy carefully based on my playing habits

I try to limit the amount of games I have installed so it keeps my choices narrowed down when I want to play.

Yup, there are benefits to having ssds.

Also, I've gotten out of the habit of binge buying steam games: if I have a long list of games to play, and the game is a major title likely to show up again in a sale, I hold off.

Also, the new refund system also gives you more reason to skip steam sales: I used to wait until steam sales because buying a game without s demo is a risk. But now that you can get your money back, it's not such a bad thing to pay "regular" price for a game, assuming you love it!

I only have 90+ games, I spend 5 minutes looking at the list, then end up not playing at all. Or I play the game I already have 300 hours on.

I wish I had the space to have all games installed, because sometimes the only reason I don't play is that I don't have the one installed I would want to play at that moment. I like games that start fast. If I'm not ingame in 5 seconds then forget it. That1s why I end up playing Defense Grid most of the time, because I can get into very fast.

Back