How do you choose what game to play if you have like 250 steam games?

I maximize the Steam on my monitor in the 'tile' library view mode. I then throw a dart at my monitor. Whichever one it lands on, I play.

Last edited:
I use three categories:

-Currently playing
-Need to play
-Finished

As I play and complete games I move them to appropriate category. Works for me.

I use three categories:

-Currently playing
-Need to play
-Finished

As I play and complete games I move them to appropriate category. Works for me.

I only set categories for games I've played. The "uncategorized" section is my "need to play."

If I'm playing it, I put it into favorites (faster than setting a category). When I'm done I uninstall, take it out of favorites, and set a category.

If I grow bored, it goes into a bad games category (I have a few). Good finished games go into the good games.

I have all the bad game categories hidden.

Last edited:
I only set categories for games I've played. The "uncategorized" section is my "need to play."

If I'm playing it, I put it into favorites (faster than setting a category). When I'm done I uninstall, take it out of favorites, and set a category.

If I grow bored, it goes into a bad games category (I have a few). Good finished games go into the good games.

Similar here. Uncategorized is "needs to play" or "haven't played enough to decide". Then I have "Good Games" "Ok Games" "Poor Games" and "Shitty Games" so titled because they go down in alphabetical order. Poor and shitty are collapsed, good and ok are expanded.

Cool story. But why quote my post for this?

Similar here. Uncategorized is "needs to play" or "haven't played enough to decide". Then I have "Good Games" "Ok Games" "Poor Games" and "Shitty Games" so titled because they go down in alphabetical order. Poor and shitty are collapsed, good and ok are expanded.

I like using Favorites as the "games I'm playing" list because it's at the top.

I am in the same boat as some others. I have about 200 games and I just dont even play anymore. I look at the list every once in a while and thats about it. Kind of sad. My son is the only one really that plays pc lately.

I am in the same boat as some others. I have about 200 games and I just dont even play anymore. I look at the list every once in a while and thats about it. Kind of sad. My son is the only one really that plays pc lately.

Just bought Shadow of Mordor last night for 16$. Got it installed. Played for 5 minutes and exited out. Got some coffee and decided to check my forums and surf the net. Are we really getting old? :rolleyes:

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Just bought Shadow of Mordor last night for 16$. Got it installed. Played for 5 minutes and exited out. Got some coffee and decided to check my forums and surf the net. Are we really getting old? :rolleyes:

That's what's happening to me man. Idk if we're getting old... Last night I fired up Garry's mod, Planetary Annihilation, and The Darkness 2 and quit them all after about 15 minutes. They are all games that when I think about playing them it's more exciting to me than actually playing them for some reason.

I made myself a spreadsheet with all of my games and how much I paid for them. It also calculates my cost per hour per game. I am working on getting all of my games to under $1 per hour. Unfortunately I have around 180 games so it is going to take a while. The only problem is this mindset is almost making it a chore to play the games rather than taking my time and enjoying them.

What I've realized is that when I was younger having a game was a privilege. When I got a new game I played it as much as I could stand before stopping because it was the only new game I had. Now because of steam sales you can buy 20 games at a time and not blink. I simply don't have time to play 20 games all at once. Even adding up the time it would take to actually beat all 20 games is immense. I feel like if I had just bought one game at a time instead of buying them by the dozen during the sales I would appreciate it much more.

I also know what you are saying about only playing for only a few minutes and stopping. Lately it seems like I can only last maybe an hour before I want to take a break. When I was younger I used to play for hours at a time and be upset when I had to stop for bed. The odd thing is when I was unemployed earlier in the year I was playing Diablo 3 consistently for around 7 hours a day for a month. I'm guessing it is a psychological thing where I knew I could do whatever I wanted from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. I could easily surf whatever websites I wanted and spend that much time gaming during the day since I didn't need to worry about going to work. I'm pretty sure if I had the job of being a twitch streamer I could handle playing games that long every day without issue. It almost seems like if I cant put a large amount of time into a game in one sitting my brain tells me it isn't worth it.

I made myself a spreadsheet with all of my games and how much I paid for them. It also calculates my cost per hour per game. I am working on getting all of my games to under $1 per hour. Unfortunately I have around 180 games so it is going to take a while. The only problem is this mindset is almost making it a chore to play the games rather than taking my time and enjoying them.

What I've realized is that when I was younger having a game was a privilege. When I got a new game I played it as much as I could stand before stopping because it was the only new game I had. Now because of steam sales you can buy 20 games at a time and not blink. I simply don't have time to play 20 games all at once. Even adding up the time it would take to actually beat all 20 games is immense. I feel like if I had just bought one game at a time instead of buying them by the dozen during the sales I would appreciate it much more.

I also know what you are saying about only playing for only a few minutes and stopping. Lately it seems like I can only last maybe an hour before I want to take a break. When I was younger I used to play for hours at a time and be upset when I had to stop for bed. The odd thing is when I was unemployed earlier in the year I was playing Diablo 3 consistently for around 7 hours a day for a month. I'm guessing it is a psychological thing where I knew I could do whatever I wanted from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. I could easily surf whatever websites I wanted and spend that much time gaming during the day since I didn't need to worry about going to work. I'm pretty sure if I had the job of being a twitch streamer I could handle playing games that long every day without issue. It almost seems like if I cant put a large amount of time into a game in one sitting my brain tells me it isn't worth it.

Yikes!!! That's dedication. ;)

I thought I might organize my collection after reading this thread the first time it came up. But... I haven't. Just pick 'em at random still based on my mood. :D

If you guys have over 200 games you need to quit hitting those Humble Bundles. There is no way you are going through these games with quality playing.

Forget about the spread sheet and just play a game that looks interesting. Don't start another until you're done unless it is an MP game.

Forget about the spread sheet and just play a game that looks interesting. Don't start another until you're done unless it is an MP game.

that's pretty much what I do...don't need any spreadsheets or spin the wheel type of program...just scroll through my Library and decide what I feel like playing...some days it might be Alan Wake...another day it might be Witcher 2...another day Fallout: New Vegas...I do find that the longer a game goes unplayed the less I feel like playing it

Don't get me wrong, if I feel like playing a specific game I definitely will. Last night I played some New Vegas even though I've beaten it numerous times. The problems is I have a ton of games that look interesting. I haven't touched the Borderlands / Mass Effect / Bioshock series yet and I'm going to try to put some decent time into them. I just feel like if I can work on these other games first and mark them off my list I'll feel less pressure to play through the good ones quickly. For example I used to play Red Faction all the time when I was younger and I bought the entire series on steam. I bought it more for nostalgia then anything but hell, I paid for it and I'm going to play it. If I don't sit myself down and force myself to then it was a waste to purchase it. Granted were talking a couple dollars but still...

I found the favorites right click on the game add to favories list keeping about 12 games max works the best otherwise you have no discipline and might not play anything for months at a time.

racing sims is probably the only game i can sit down for hours just doing hotlaps online (assetto corsa) in my oculus rift. (friday /saturday night i would have a drink or 2, play some music on the desktop and put the rift on and just get immersed in it). Sim racing with a nice steering wheel/pedals/shifter is very fun .

I logged a ton of hours in skyrim just bullshitting around in there , installing mods, checking out the mods, and not even finishing the quests lol. theres been a few games that i bought, played like an hour of, and just never got back to completing... still want to play the mass effect games but have yet to finish part 1. Dead space had such an interesting environment to it that i actually completed 1+2 (didnt finish 3 yet)..

The tomb raider games i usually play them til completion asap, as they got enough story depth to keep my attention going.

Dont get me started on my console games lol.. I travel for work, so generally i can only play my desktop on weekends.. but id take my ps4 with me on trips sometimes, and even than, i still get lazy to hook it up to the hotel tvs lol.

but yeah at 32 years old, i love to buy games, but i jus dont have the attention span any more.

keep like 3 or 4 installed, Hide the rest of your catalog.

Don't unhide, install and start another until you finish one.... rinse, repeat.

That's what I've been trying to do

keep like 3 or 4 installed, Hide the rest of your catalog.

Don't unhide, install and start another until you finish one.... rinse, repeat.

That's what I've been trying to do

Hehehe! The problem there is that I'd know that I did it. :D Maybe if I hid them, then took a handful of valium I might forget that I did it, and it would actually work until I accidentally expanded the full list. Once I figured out that I tricked me, I'd be pissed!

I figured I just wasn't focused enough on my steam Library so I took like 4 games I really wanted to see more of and put those on my FAVORITES list. I figure I will have less jumping around for games that might overwhelm my time and general interest in the title. All you do is right click and it sends the game from your list to the favorites section.

Does anyone else wish the Library list was more customize-able? Like being able to create categories and reordering things however you want? Right now one of the main things that annoys me about the library is that even though VR games are listed seperately below my main games, the VR games are still mixed in with the regular games above it; so they are list

Not that hard for me. I look down at what I'm in the mood for, play that until done. And I do finish about 90% of my games.

Not that hard for me. I look down at what I'm in the mood for, play that until done. And I do finish about 90% of my games.

I need you to finish all my games cause it would take a good decade or so. I'm up to 300 games

I need you to finish all my games cause it would take a good decade or so. I'm up to 300 games

I didn't say I'll finish all of them before I'll die. I just pick one and enjoy it while not worrying about the ever growing backlog. I have a dream my great great grandchildren may complete them all one day.

Does anyone else wish the Library list was more customize-able? Like being able to create categories and reordering things however you want? Right now one of the main things that annoys me about the library is that even though VR games are listed seperately below my main games, the VR games are still mixed in with the regular games above it; so they are list
You can create categories and arrange your games in them. The only negative I have is that it lists the categories alphabetical and from what I can tell there is no way to change that. Otherwise it works great and once you add a game to a category it removes it from the general games category. This doesn't solve your VR games issue because those seem to be handled differently from what I have seen. I would rather they not have a default VR category and just let me create my own if I want one. Luckily I just hid the only game that shows up in the VR list, because I don't play it, and it went away.

You can create categories and arrange your games in them. The only negative I have is that it lists the categories alphabetical and from what I can tell there is no way to change that. Otherwise it works great and once you add a game to a category it removes it from the general games category. This doesn't solve your VR games issue because those seem to be handled differently from what I have seen. I would rather they not have a default VR category and just let me create my own if I want one. Luckily I just hid the only game that shows up in the VR list, because I don't play it, and it went away.

Setting up some categories could actually be somewhat useful. I probably won't do it, but if they just magically arranged themselves I'd be happy about it. :D I've got over 280 now, and I don't think I could make myself sort them all. On the flip-side, I don't think I could live with having some sorted and some not, either. So I'll probably just leave them unsorted.

I have 187 games in my Steam library and simply accept the hard truth that I'll never play many of them.

Locate the one that says Kerbal Space Program, and play that one. If you don't have it, buy it. :D

Seriously though that's a fun game once you get past the initial learning curve.

@comic - thanks for updating everyone after a year has passed. I was starting to get worried.

@comic - thanks for updating everyone after a year has passed. I was starting to get worried.

Me too! I can just see him rocking back and forth staring at the screen, feverishly running the mouse-wheel up and down, and not selecting anything. :D

On a more serious note, I've almost fallen into this state when trying to pick a game in MAME to play, so it can actually happen. :D

Setting up some categories could actually be somewhat useful. I probably won't do it, but if they just magically arranged themselves I'd be happy about it. :D I've got over 280 now, and I don't think I could make myself sort them all. On the flip-side, I don't think I could live with having some sorted and some not, either. So I'll probably just leave them unsorted.
I mainly just use it to keep track of games that I have completed. The ones I am currently playing are installed and in the Favorites. Games i have completed or no longer play are in the completed category and the ones I have yet to play are just in the default games category.

Play games with sequels first, then the rest in alphabetical order. Thats what I do for five minutes before my wife has chores for me and the kids need help with homework. THE POINT IS DONT GET MARRIED DONT HAVE KIDS.

Play games with sequels first, then the rest in alphabetical order. Thats what I do for five minutes before my wife has chores for me and the kids need help with homework. THE POINT IS DONT GET MARRIED DONT HAVE KIDS.

Until you buy your 5 copies for your 5 kids and can field your own 5v5 team in battlefield :). No teamspeak required

Until you buy your 5 copies for your 5 kids and can field your own 5v5 team in battlefield :). No teamspeak required

Precisely! I bought Borderlands 2 for my kids and we've sunk hundreds of hours into it.

Back