How do you change the Windows 7 Startup Sound?

daveayee

n00b
Hey peeps. How is everyone.

So, I have been trying for the last hour or so, for something to do, trying to change the startup sound when my computer turns on.
At the moment the sound is a sort of clicking sound that goes for .02 of a second. The original sound won't play.
I know it is no big deal, but I am sitting here bored so i thought i would try to change it to something that works for something to do.

These are the methods I have tried.
I have tried deleting the original .wav file. (C:\Windows\Media) – this says i require permission from TrustedInstaller. I have taken ownership and tried again both in normal and safe mode. I also cannot rename the files.

I have tried these programs – Windows startup sound changer. no good – Winaero Tweaker (for windows 10 but i thought i would give it a shot) – no good

I have tried opening C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll in Resource hacker and replacing the sound. Then replacing the original imageres.dll file with the new one. – no good

I have tried – cmd – sfc /scannow. no good.

* Play Windows startup sound Enabled in sound settings.

I remember years ago being able to change the sounds. I think that may have been on Windows XP. But i just can't figure out how to do it.

I have done some googling and can't find any answers. I am trying what they say but it won't work. I would be happy with the original sound rather then the quick clicking sound, but if possible i would like to be able to put a short custom .wav sound instead.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!
Again... its no biggy. Just filling in time on my holidays lol

Thanks Guys n Gals.

Crap dude.... Not sure what on earth you were trying to do by doing what you were doing, but changing the start sound is not what I would have guessed.

All you need to do is go into control panel and click "sound". There is a tab in there called "Sounds" that has all the events you can have sounds associated with (including the start sound). This has been the way ever since the very first version of Windows... Good luck! ;)

lol.... If only it were that easy... Windows 7 bud.....
Crap dude.... Not sure what on earth you were trying to do by doing what you were doing, but changing the start sound is not what I would have guessed.

All you need to do is go into control panel and click "sound". There is a tab in there called "Sounds" that has all the events you can have sounds associated with (including the start sound). This has been the way ever since the very first version of Windows... Good luck! ;)

The only startup setting is " Play windows Startup sound " with a checkbox next to it. As you can see, it is checked. And it is not even the default sound. I want to get atleast the default sound back or be able to change it to something else i like.

su.png

I don't hear that sound. I hear nothing. And when i open the sound in C/Windows/media it is a short clicking sound.

The only startup setting is " Play windows Startup sound " with a checkbox next to it. As you can see, it is checked. And it is not even the default sound. I want to get atleast the default sound back or be able to change it to something else i like.

View attachment 132877

Yes, its really that easy.. Hit the "Browse" button on that screen and change the sound...

I think under "Program Events" there should be something called Startup or Windows Startup or the like. That's where you choose the action and then browse to choose the audio file

Yes, its really that easy.. Hit the "Browse" button on that screen and change the sound...

that is windows navigation start not start up sound. i cant seem to find the startup sound to click browse on. used to be vthis simple on other windows. not on my vers of 7

The sound you have associated to the "Windows Startup Sound" is the Windows Navigation Start.wav... Which if you were to listen to it, is the "click" you are describing.. See red huge arrows in the two pictures below:

upload_2019-1-4_20-0-42.png

upload_2019-1-4_19-55-46.png

So how do you change it?!?!? Well, you hit the Browse button to the right of that. See large red arrow below:
upload_2019-1-4_19-58-3.png

*** OR ***

you can uncheck the check mark next to "Play Windows Startup sound". It should look like this:

upload_2019-1-4_20-4-35.png

the "start navigation" sound is the sound it makes when you are in file explorer clicking into and out of folders doing things like that. Navigating. Not the windows Start up Sound.

Thanks for your help guys. But it is not as simple as going into sounds and changing it that way. Once apon a time it could be done like that. Maybe it can be done like that in Windows 10 which i do not use. Anyways, if anyone can figure it out. please let me know. Cheers xD

OK. I think i just found my problem. For some reason the sounds were coming through my headphones. Even though the default sound is to play through my speakers. If i play a song it plays on the speakers. I thought it would try listening through my headphones and the windows startup sound works. I have used Startup Sound Changer.exe to change it to the sound I want and it is all working perfectly. No wonder i couldn't figure it out, because the sound was playing through my headphones lol. Thanks for your advice H2R2P2 but that would not have worked for what i was trying to do.

It is weird if you can change your start up sound that way. Have you changed yours to something different using that method?

What worked for me is changing the Windows Logon sound. You could also just disable the startup sound and have a program play the sound you want on startup (a one liner autohotkey script would work)?

Attachments

• Clipboard02.png
    Clipboard02.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
Back