How do they sell used Gaming Cards on eBay

_l_

[H]ard|Gawd
just went to ebay, searched for GTX then clicked the used button and went through many listings and read the following "no way I can believe it" listing:

"like new Barely used"
"used ONLY for light gaming."
"Used very lightly for gaming."
"Only used for a little more than a month"
"I only had/used the card for about 1 month. "
"Excellent, used for less than one month"
"Used for under 1 month after being bought"
"Only used for about a month."
"This card has worked for two years straight without any problems" (thought I'd throw one in from an honest listing)
"It was used but not in a gaming PC."
“Lightly used for about 5 months”
"Lightly used 1060 6GB"
"Lightly used for 1 month - perfect working condition"
"It has only been used for light gaming for about 2 months. "
"I used it for about 1 month and am now moving on from PC Gaming"
"been used for about 4-5 hours a week for watching movies"
"Bought to compare with a 3GB MSI 1060, not enough performance difference for me to keep the 6GB"
"used for casual gaming"
" I used for casual gaming in my new PC"
"Used in office for short testing."
"Used to see if working, other than that been sitting in the box."
"only used for one year to play GTA5"

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand your point? They're used cards and people are trying to make them sound better than a used card but at the end of the day it's a used card...You buy a used card off ebay you should know your getting a used card off ebay lol.

Its called uaed but trying hard to get max dollars like its new.
please allow me to rephrase your comment so everyone who reads it can fully understand it:

"Its called used but lying hard to get max dollars like its new"

Last edited:
ebay is so risky I look at the feedback if it's something electronic that could break you can't trust the seller at all unless he's established.
You have people selling used G(X logitech mice for $ 250+ used under that with wear and a frayed cord =)

I believe I put something along the lines of "lightly used" when I was selling my 970's and it was no lie. Those cards saw more word processing than they did games. :)

Reactions: _l_
like this
The truth will set you free. Just be honest in what you're selling.

like this
I don't know the ratio of miners vs casual gamers who buy something like a GTX 1060 (which is kind of the extreme example), but I can potentially believe a lot of those descriptions. I have an incredible number of PC parts sitting around from abandoned or barely-used builds of various kinds. Plus, I always overestimate how much gaming I'll actually be doing on my PC's.

Are all of those listings truthful? I highly doubt it, but I bet the majority of the more specific descriptions are. On the other hand, "lightly used" is pretty darn subjective.

I bought a used X850XT PE off Ebay once back in 2005. The card didn't work, never bought a used PC part again. I was in bad shape financially at the time and really wanted that GPU, ended up selling my steam account to buy a new GPU after that happened (I had a low digit SteamID at the time and kids on CS cared about that for some reason). I do however sell my hardware occasionally if I know it is in great shape, but I would never rip anyone off as I was. I definitely wouldn't trust buying a used GPU off Ebay right now with all the virtual currency mining.

Sell your stuff here, you're better off. Most of the forum members are honest and not likely to rip you off.

The last 2 electronic items I sold on eBay (even with "No refunds") I had received back broken.

like this
Jeez. I guess they need those strict buyer protection rules. Though some seem a bit extreme like a 6 month return period....

like this
I like to be honest when I post a mining card. There's always someone who doesnt care, as long as the price is right. The card is paid off already so lower price doesnt matter much to me.

Mining cards are such a thing I tend to not buy video cards off ebay anymore. I don't mind buying items from forum posters or places where I can get a read on the seller's rep (ie. here)

I have some new Sapphire Nitro 580 8gb for sale..but cant post them in for sale section yet. Im a 1000+ ebay seller but I guess i have to work up some rep on here. ive bought several items from users but cant sell yet.

Ebay is a shithole, avoid if possible. If you're going to sell/buy make sure they have a verified PayPal account, I would avoid international buyers/sellers at all cost because they are very very likely to stiff you, and there is nothing anyone can do for you.

I hesitantly sold my r9 390 on ebay but the inflated prices were just good to pass up. I had trouble selling it because I would not sell to international, non-verified members. After about a month the guy filled a return claim initially saying a fan was "wobbly", if I hadn't taken photos and video of the card working properly and documented the packaging and shipping process, and the fact that he later changed his story saying the card just plainly didn't work outright, I would have probably had to issue a refund losing on the Ebay/PayPal/return shipping fees.

I am pretty sure I was going to get a damaged, switched out card, or nothing at all from said garbage pile of a person. Just a heads up for all you people wanting to sell on Ebay, document everything.

Ebay is a shithole, avoid if possible. If you're going to sell/buy make sure they have a verified PayPal account, I would avoid international buyers/sellers at all cost because they are very very likely to stiff you, and there is nothing anyone can do for you.

I hesitantly sold my r9 390 on ebay but the inflated prices were just good to pass up. I had trouble selling it because I would not sell to international, non-verified members. After about a month the guy filled a return claim initially saying a fan was "wobbly", if I hadn't taken photos and video of the card working properly and documented the packaging and shipping process, and the fact that he later changed his story saying the card just plainly didn't work outright, I would have probably had to issue a refund losing on the Ebay/PayPal/return shipping fees.

I am pretty sure I was going to get a damaged, switched out card, or nothing at all from said garbage pile of a person. Just a heads up for all you people wanting to sell on Ebay, document everything.

So stating no refunds "as is" wont help with that problem?

So stating no refunds "as is" wont help with that problem?

Maybe in the overall dispute, but it won't stop them from filling a return which is an automated system that automatically subtracts the value of the item from your PayPal account until the dispute is resolved.

EVGA GTX 970 listed on eBay for $200, after fees and shipping costs you get $150 and the joy of wondering (in the back of your mind) if they will return it during the next 2 months or ...
EVGA GTX 970 listed on Craigslist for $150, a guaranteed done deal sale (no return to worry about) and no shipping to bother with

Last edited:
with the lack of new in stock cards available the the prices when they are available, id assume any used cards these days were miners that spent many many weeks at full load and hot as hell.

Back