How do these new laptop CPUs compare to my old 9900k?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-1260P-vs-Intel-i9-9900K/4707vs3334

Looks like you're giving up ~20% in multi-threaded work loads according to passmark. Single thread is comparable.

Oh man those new low power CPUs are definitely worth it.
I game at 4k where CPU is less of an issue and do Lightroom photo editing as well as some light video editing, so I think even as low as i7-1260p would be good enough as I'm happy with what I have now.
And if I go for those higher power mobile CPUs, like 12700h or 12900h, it would probably be worth it.

Asus ROG Flow Z13 has a i9-12900h and Flow X13 has Ryzen 9 6900HS.
I feel like I wouldn't lose on performance if I dump my 9900k/3080 desktop for €2000 and Samsung Tab S8+ for €900 then get one of the 2022 laptops + next gen eGPU.

Reactions: Elios
like this
VERY fast. friend of mine got laptop with the mobile 12900k and its nuts faster then 9900k by far

Don't forget that while they're comparable, they have bigger drawbacks. They are in tiny laptop enclosures are loud and too hot to put in your lap. Especially if you're going the external GPU route, take a close look at the cooling of whatever laptop you're looking at. I'm personally waiting for Ryzen 6000 to upgrade my laptop although I'm chasing battery life over performance.

I've been pondering a lot now that I've sold my old pc with i9-9900k.
I bought the first gen Galaxy laptop which has i7-11965g which is the lower limit I would use now that I've tested it. I have to run the laptop in silent mode or else it's too loud for me.
That CPU is too weak for anything advanced. It has 16gb ram and while it can somehow manage my A7R IV 120mb raw images, it's slooooooow to load them. And it's literally useless at editing 4k/5k video from my drone.
I will keep the laptop as it's a great little machine for work/school but will get a desktop with a i5-12600k which I will then upgrade with 13th gen i9.

I get a lot of customers now moaning that their newer (past 3 years) laptops are sooo noisy. And they are, those new mobile chips screammmmmm with power and heat.

I ask if they game or do intensive stuff. If they say no, I switch off the turbo.

Happy customer.

Back