How do the PNY 6800GTs do?

ohgod

Gawd
I was thinking of buying one from Outpost.com. I have owned PNY video cards before and I was satisified. Does anyone own one or have a problem with one?

runnin smooth at 420/1.1
of course cooling sucks!
But best bang for the buck!

I dont understand how ppl can say stock cooling sucks on the 6800gt when ppl are getting 50-70mhz core overclocks and 50-100mhz memory overclocks average. :confused:

It certainly is decent, But,
My old 5900 ultra is PNY, I put on a Zally HP and it reduced the temps By almost 10c
If there's that much room to cool down, why not put on a good cooling solution to begin with?
I expect a decent cooling solution on a $400.00 card!
I'm certain the same temp delta can be achieved on the 6800 cards.

I tried ultra speeds shortly after I recieved mine and it does them well. I think 420ish/1100 was my max.

plus pny isnt doing that ghey "lifetime warranty" anymore (lifetime being until the next gen comes out), you get one year standard, plus when you register, you get an extra two years....

so i've heard. mine will be here on monday, ill update then...

another PNY 6800 GT owner here:

420/1100 without a hitch.
she idles at like 54C and pegs to like 74C.

OPUS1 said:
It certainly is decent, But,
My old 5900 ultra is PNY, I put on a Zally HP and it reduced the temps By almost 10c
If there's that much room to cool down, why not put on a good cooling solution to begin with?
I expect a decent cooling solution on a $400.00 card!
I'm certain the same temp delta can be achieved on the 6800 cards.

But if the card is rated to do up to 120C without issue, and the stock cooler usually keeps the card under 90C even when highly overclocked, what would the purpose of Nvidia spending a lot more money on something like a Zalman be? It would raise the cost of the card and give the end user no performance benefit, as with the GT people run into yield issues or power issues before they run into heat issues.

i got a 6800gt from compusa on that 30 % off thing so yeah. i got it at 400/1100 24/7 it runs great. when i first got it i threw it in for a few hours then oc'd, i was having lots of problems so i left it at stock for a few days before i tried again and now it's runnin good. i think i was having mostly driver issues at first...tooke me a while to find them. my box came with no cd in it lol

I' a little miffed about the box not coming with the driver CD and the nVidia demo CD like it SAYS ON THE BOX. I mean if they are going to lie about that... what else would they be untruthful about?

I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I should really though. The card has been fantastic sofar and I'm just waiting on a new PSU to really unlock it's overclocking ability. (The 12v rails on my PSU are kinda saggy now)

Running 420/1130 24/7. 54C idle 78C after 2 hours of RTHDR. I actually had the driver/demo cd in my box.

tranCendenZ said:
what would the purpose of Nvidia spending a lot more money on something like a Zalman be? It would raise the cost of the card and give the end user no performance benefit, as with the GT people run into yield issues or power issues before they run into heat issues.
For those of you who've replaced the stock cooler with water or a big ass HSF, how much difference did it make to your core limit?

i have a pny 6800GT with a Zalman HP80 and flashed with a Leadtek Ultra bios running at 430/1100...

its quick...

:)

Thanks for all the replies! Now I just need to find a place that has it.. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can't overclock mine past 400/1100 stably. Once I through 3DMark @ 405/1100, but never at 410/1100. My FSB is at 220 or 225 with a 3.2, bringing it to 3.52 or 3.58. I have a PNY 6800GT.

Do you think my lower FSB is limiting my OC? All of y'all getting 420 is making me jealous.

Also, in Far Cry at 1600x1200xNoAAx8xAF I have had stability problems at 225 FSB with the GT @ 400/1100. I dropped it to 220 FSB and "auto overclocking" and it's stable. It *is* stable at the higher speeds at 1024x768x4xAAx8xAF.

Back