How do make a background program startup at boot?

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
Stick with me here and read the whole thing before responding, por favor.

I use Meedio to watch and record TV programs. When you initially start the program, meedio.exe appears in the task manager. When you close the program, meedio.exe continues running in the background (ie. It’s still in the task manager even though I’ve closed it). [side note: If you restart the program again, it still has to load the program and usually opens another instance of meedio.exe in the task manager (which tends to cause stability problems).] When you restart the computer, it’s no longer running in the background.

So here’s the problem. When you schedule a recording, meedio.exe must be running in the background to record the program. If you have a TV show schedule to record Friday evening and you restart the PC Friday morning, it won’t record the show unless you remembered to reopen and close Meedio after the reboot.

Now I know I could just drop my Meedio shortcut in the “startup” folder, but this opens the whole program (which takes a little time to load) at every startup. I just want to run the background service at startup. It’s not listed in the “services” list either.

Any ideas?

It's up to whoever makes the software to provide the option. So if it was there, you would put a shortcut that for example says "meedio.exe /minimized". But if it's there and what you'd put after the slash is determined by them.

There is a way to make any .exe turn into a service, once that is done you can set the service to load automatically at boot and set failure options, etc. Do a google search to load a program as a service. This will work on most .exe as everything else in the M$ realm there are exceptions, if it doesn't work you could just add it to the startup group. I ran into the same problem with a PC that I use as a security camera DVR and it worked flawlessly. Hope this helps.

Back