How do I share one Users folder with two Windows installation (on the same drive)?

XTF

Gawd
I've got two Windows 7 installations (on the same drive) and I'd like to share the Users folder of one of those with the other. The other is a new installation.

Go to the folder you want to share and right click-> Properties. Look at the security tab. Click Add and type in Everybody, then give full control.

If you have an XP machine, you will have to go into folder options and uncheck 'use simple file sharing'.

I don't want to share just a folder, I want to share the c:\users ;)

Doesn't make any sense as to why you'd want to do that. You should explain your objective better. If you want to snoop into others stuff you can do that as an admin on the machine in question. Other than that an explanation isn't justified for such a vague question.

Eh? I've got two Windows installations and I'd like to have the same documents and settings on both.

Windows 7 has a public folder or you can create a share on either machine and make it the default location for any users in question.

The users folder has a lot of hidden files and such and I wouldn't recommend playing with the security settings on that directory.

Sounds like you want a single roaming profile or printer/folder sharing turned on? Not going to happen to try and share users folders as you would be defeating the whole purpose of separate user accounts?

Eh? I've got two Windows installations and I'd like to have the same documents and settings on both.
Then do the security method I mentioned to c:\users and allow Everybody. That way you can navigate to it using your other operating system. Then redirect your document folders to the ones for the other installation by using the 'target' option in the document properties.

Then do the security method I mentioned to c:\users and allow Everybody. That way you can navigate to it using your other operating system. Then redirect your document folders to the ones for the other installation by using the 'target' option in the document properties.

That's close, but I'd also like to share registry settings etc.

Back