How do I share a drive inside a computer with another pc on the same network in window 10?

xellos2099alpha

[H]ard|Gawd
I got a question. There are 2 computer in the office, both of them window 10, connect to the same wired network. My boss ask me to set it up so Computer A can access the C drive of computer B. I setup advance share on both computer but under network they cannot see each other. advice?

Both computers need set to private network connection. File sharing needs to be on, both computers need login credentials.

+1 on the private connection and firewall settings.
Are both the computers on a domain? or local logins only? Ensure the share is set to allow for proper permissions for the account.

I don't recommend relying on windows network to see the computers via the search its cumbersome.
Use \\ipaddressofb or \\compbname to access it directly (ideally mapping the drive for him with the needed credentials stored)

The way it is connected both are connected to some wired router and then connect to cable modem
not physical connection, it is a windows setting
pn.png

if that says Public, then you won't get File Sharing.

pn2.png

I made both are private network but still the same issue. One have doesn;t have a log in password while the other does

With windows 10 the easiest way to transfer files over the network is to use a thumb drive.

Sadly.

With windows 10 the easiest way to transfer files over the network is to use a thumb drive.

Sadly.
Windows' network sharing and transfers were always working for me over the years and versions. Slowly but it even gets better with every version. What's plague Windows even up to Win10 is peer discovery. Every now and then the Network node in Explorer cannot discover all machines in the network. But connecting directly via UNC has almost always working and when not, it was a user's fault or some setting.
After disabling SMB1 on all machines, discovery stopped working at all (because it still seems to be dependent on SMB1 which by itself is stupid). SMB1 is old and has been the cause of some infections lately. For my small network it's not a big deal, I have shortcuts to other machines and have never (almost) relied on Network node's discovery anyway.

did you try turning off password protection? can you manually access them by typing the address to a share in the address bar? ie \\owner\share if you can, create a shortcut to it

I don't know what MS did with the latest Windows 10 update, but after that update it's been a pain doing network shares.
I can see all my machines in Network on all the machines, but 2 of them can't access the shares by clicking on them, I have to use IP addresses to access the shares.

windows shaing.jpg

Back