How do I set up a wired DSL home network?

Andrew87

Limp Gawd
Right now there are two computers in the house, mine and my mum's. I was thinking of getting broadband again and was going to network our PCs together so that we could share the internet connection.

I already have a USB ADSL modem so I would use that and use a crosscover cable from my motherboard to a Ethernet port in my mum's PC. However, this would require about a 12m cable and my PC would have to be switched on for my mum to use the internet, and it's too noisy to leave on all day.

I found a 15m cable on eBuyer which I will probably buy as well as a cheap 10/100 Ethernet PCI card for my mum's PC but this still does not solve the problem of me having to have my PC switched on all day.

My ADSL modem has no Ethernet port on it. What equipment would I need to connect a DSL modem to a router (I think) which would be constantly connected to the internet without any PCs needed to be switched on. And then I'd connect my PC and my mum's PC to the router so we could both be on the Network and share the Internet, even if the other's PC is switched off.

I think this picture shows what I am trying to achieve. Would a NETGEAR ADSL USB/RJ-45 Modem/Router do the job?

Thanks for all help.

EDIT: Would this be able to be used as a LAN for filetransers from PC-PC and gaming etc?

I'm not familiar with the Netgear box you are looking at, so I won't comment on that, but I will say the following:

The fist thing I would do if I were you, would be to call your DSL provider and see if you can swap your current DSL modem for one that connects to your computer via a standard ethernet port.

If your USB connection on the ADSL modem is removeable, you could go with one of these:

http://www.pccables.com/70618.htm

Then you could use a NAT router to assign your mom's pc its own internal IP. By doing this, you could easily network the 2 pc's together, and share internet and files.

If you decide to go with the option to have your pc always on, Sygate Office Network is an excellent program. It allows you to limit bandwidth, for those email only users.

But i would suggest a modem replacement as a first option.

If you go the crossover route, you may want to get a NIC that has Wake on Lan (WOL) that way you could use a prog like MagicPacket to wake up the machine and then use a remote shutdown commane to kill it when she would be done.

Back