how do I set my local IP to stay the same?

indokyne

2[H]4U
don't really know what the term is but my main rig is 192.168.1.2.

Sometimes, it changes to another number and it screws up my port forwarding settings so games get affected. i.e. 192....4

How do I change it back to the original and going forward, how do I keep it on one number?

depending on the router you can set it so it always gives the same ip to your main rig, if it can't do that turn of dhcp and set all your pcs with manual IPs.

depending on the router you can set it so it always gives the same ip to your main rig, if it can't do that turn of dhcp and set all your pcs with manual IPs.

There's no reason to disable DHCP on the router when doing static IPs. Down the road some users can have problems due to that.

yeah man leave your dhcp settings the same, just give your computer an IP address that you know wont be given out..

like give yourself 192.168.1.50

assuming you have the router hand out ips at .2 or whatever.

it's easy. good luck

cool guys. thanks

Got it set up now w/ a static IP - DHCP was left alone. Gaming now with no issues.

thanks again.

There's no reason to disable DHCP on the router when doing static IPs. Down the road some users can have problems due to that.

true, I only say that as I've had more than enough people do this and assign the same ips from the dhcp pool and then have ip conflicts.

true, I only say that as I've had more than enough people do this and assign the same ips from the dhcp pool and then have ip conflicts.

Yup the correct way to do it is use statics outside of the DHCP pool. Use like .2 - .99, or .150 on up, etc.
The issue is, more people who ask on how to do these things, will not be able to do networking in their sleep, and as soon as you have DHCP on a network turned off...they're frequently (now..or a few months down the road) stuck when they go to do something. Things get complicated for them...like if there's more than 1 computer...keeping track of which computer is which. Or.."how do I get to the linksys IP again?" Or occasional wireless clients, guests, etc. Say they purchase a new networked printer...how do they get it setup? The drivers won't find it on the IP range....can't find the web admin if you don't know its IP, etc.

depending on the router you can set it so it always gives the same ip to your main rig

If your router can do DHCP reservations, that's the best way to solve this issue. Everything is still DHCP, you just tell your router to always use the same IP for your NIC's MAC address.

Back