How Do I Set Boot Priority On Dell After M.2 Add In

Rustic

Limp Gawd
I bought a Dell Inspiron 5575 laptop with a 1TB spin drive. I added an M.2 drive and cloned the spin drive on the M.2.

I can manually boot from either drive but if i let the laptop boot on its own it goes to the spin drive everytime.

i cant seem to figure out how to manually set it to boot from the M.2

If i hit F12 at splash screen it brings me to boot manager i can see both drives

If i hit F2 at splash screen it brings me to Setup, i can see both drives on the 'Main' tab. But when i go to 'Boot' Tab ans hit UEFI BOOT i only see thew spin drive and a couple of Onboard NIC's
i am assuming if i could see both drives there i could set it but the M.2 drive isnt there

Halp...

so I think leezard is on to something. i found this post.

Re: How to make windows boot from m2 ssd.

If you want to perform a fresh install of Windows, then create bootable flash drive that contains Windows installation media (you can download Windows 10 directly from Microsoft here) and then when you get to the step in the install wizard where you choose where to install Windows, you should see your M.2 SSD listed, so just choose it and then Windows will create the necessary partitions automatically. If you don't see your SSD listed, you'll either need to supply the Intel Rapid Storage driver or go into your BIOS and look for the option to switch from RAID mode to AHCI mode, then try again. Once you get Windows running from the SSD, you can use the command-line tool diskpart to run a "clean" command against your SATA HDD in order to wipe it, including all of the hidden partitions, and then you can create a single partition to use it as a data-only drive.

If you want to clone your existing Windows installation over to the M.2 SSD, then if your system's BIOS is currently set to RAID mode, it's pretty straightforward. You can just use a freeware tool such as Macrium Reflect Free to do that. If it's currently set to AHCI mode, cloning is trickier because the Windows installation currently on your SATA HDD won't be configured to load the NVMe driver required for your 970 Evo at boot time, which means it won't be able to boot after it's cloned to an NVMe SSD. And unfortunately, you can't just switch to RAID mode at this stage for an existing Windows installation. So if you're currently in AHCI mode, you can either use the paid version of Macrium Reflect that includes a feature called ReDeploy that can tweak the cloned installation so that it will load the necessary NVMe driver, or you can just perform a clean install instead as I originally described.

So since my bios was set to AHCI there isnt a driver for the M.2. I dont think i can change it to RAID and try again so what would be the best option from here?

This might help https://forum.macrium.com/Topic21731-2.aspx

Basically they installed the nvme driver on the existing OS (your 1TB spinner) once it was installed on the original drive they cloned the OS to the m.2 drive. this way the nvme drivers were also copied over.

This might help https://forum.macrium.com/Topic21731-2.aspx

Basically they installed the nvme driver on the existing OS (your 1TB spinner) once it was installed on the original drive they cloned the OS to the m.2 drive. this way the nvme drivers were also copied over.

ok thanks. I dont fully understand how they installed the driver in that thread. It says they used a Samsung driver. I searched ADATA website and i really didnt see any driver download available. So this may be over my head.

Last edited:
Back