how do i see my profile on server 2003?

ok.. i am a network administrator at work.. and i fucked up my profile.. it just won't load.. and it is 1.3gb.. i think it is mp3s.. but i wanted to see my profile.. and it says access denied. i am using a user that is a member of the domain administrator group and nothing else.. i even tried logging in as administrator.. and it didn't work..

so what is preventing me from seeing the profiles? i remember at work at my college we would go into the profiles and delete things when people got corrupted profiles, but here i can't even view the size of them or anything.. it jsut says "access denied"

thanks

can i get one in only 2 months? i am going back to school in january... and i think some php, asp, java, cf type shit would be much more beneficial..

scottatwittenberg said:
can i get one in only 2 months? i am going back to school in january... and i think some php, asp, java, cf type shit would be much more beneficial..

Yea, you can "get one in only two months" but what those commercials on the radio aren't telling you is that it's going to be very hard to get any job higher than level one technical support without experience, MCSE/CCNA or not.

Companies are thankfully starting to realize that letters after your name don't always guarantee good SA's anymore. That doesn't mean you should forget about certifications, just that you have to realize that going out and getting your MCSE isn't going to do much for you unless you have a years' worth of actual experience performing those duties.

As far as php/asp/java/cf being more beneficial -- it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a web programmer than that's true... if you want to be a SA, not so much.

------------------------

And as for your problem -- you need to take ownership of the folders and then reset the security permissions so you can gain access to the corrupted or otherwise defunct profile.

Right-click on folder, properties, security, advanced, owner tab. Change owner to an account you have access to and check the little box that reads, "replace owner on subcontainers and objects."

Then if necessary, change the security permissions.

ok.. i did that.. i should have though of that because i had to do the same thing when i accidently denied myself access to half of the files on my HD at home..

it worked though..

thanks..

how did the permisions get like they are anyways where no one has ownership?

Could have been any number of things that caused it to be that way. Usually the more innocent of the possabilities is a result of Windows not being able to write to that profile when it wants to write to it during startup. It could have been a bad sector or just windows trying to do too many things at once or a file not being where windows thought it was because fo a bad restart, etc. But when Windows cannot write/read to/from a file when it wants to during logon, it can result in a new profile being created.

When a new profile is created like that, it's usually named username.domainname.

Or it could have been something more malicious like a spyware/trojan/hack, etc that manually changed the permissions.

I'd run a spyware check,virus check and perhaps a security audit on the machine to make sure it wasn't compromised but most likely it was just windows... having one of it's ... days.

i am talking about the profiles on the domain server... i was in there, this wasn't my personal workstation... i was editing it at the source..

scottatwittenberg said:
i am talking about the profiles on the domain server... i was in there, this wasn't my personal workstation... i was editing it at the source..

Yes, but how does that change my previous post? Profiles are profiles whether on the DC, on a workstation or even on a DC with Roaming enabled.

It was probably simply windows being windows -- but especially since it's one the server, I'd audit your security settings and make sure everything is kosher.

And by the way, just a tip for avoiding profile crashes like that -- store your MP3's elsewhere, don't put them in your My Music folder under your profile. Windows is much more prone to have problems with overly large profiles than with smaller ones.

Back