How do I run two sticks of RAM in an ASUS Z590 Gaming-Plus Wifi?

This one has me truly miffed. I'm trying to run two sticks of RAM and the machine won't even make it to the BIOS screen after the initial forced one after a CMOS reset.

The machine works just fine with four sticks installed, and it works just fine when any single stick is installed in A2 as per the manual.

When any two are installed in A2 and B2 (the initial BIOS screen confirms this), the machine can't make it even to BIOS. The Q-LED for the RAM stays amber. The manual says that the sticks should be in A2 and B2 when running two, and countless build videos confirm this.

The slots themselves are just fine. I even bought a second motherboard in order to confirm this.

What am I missing here?

Oh mother effer. Just got off the phone with ASUS support and they say that the problem is because the RAM is not on the QVL. The 3200, 4266, and 4600 versions are all on the QVL, but I'm using the 3600 speed and therefore it doesn't work as a pair.

W
T
F

That sounds like some BS.

Try this
Install 1 stick
Boot into the bios and manually set the speeds (turn off profiles and crap)
Then put the second stick in and try?

I tried that with no luck. I’m supposed to be delivering the machine to the buyer in the morning, so I guess he’s going to get a 64GB bonus. Sort of hilarious since 32GB is overkill for his use but now he’s going to end up with 128GB.

It probably boots with 4 sticks because the BIOS defaults are slower for 2dpc; if the machine is going to a client delivering it with 128GB is probably the way to go since it is a very bad idea to ship a machine which requires non-stock BIOS settings to POST.

Maybe you have a bad channel? Try the other two slots.

It probably boots with 4 sticks because the BIOS defaults are slower for 2dpc; if the machine is going to a client delivering it with 128GB is probably the way to go since it is a very bad idea to ship a machine which requires non-stock BIOS settings to POST.
I didn't have time to go to the store and buy a 2x32 or 4x16 kit from the QVL (if they even had one in stock), so I ended up delivering the machine with 128GB. Better to over deliver on time than precisely deliver late (IMO). Plus, assuming my time has some value, the hassle of going to the store, pulling the heatsink again, and then being left with used RAM to sell would likely end up more expensive than just giving him the extra 64GB.
Is the board running an updated BIOS?
I actually tried this on three different versions. I don't recall the numbers, but there's the version that the board came with, there's the current version which I flashed it with to see if that would fix it, and then I also bought a second motherboard to try out in case there was a problem with one of the slots.
Maybe you have a bad channel? Try the other two slots.
The boards both work fine with all four sticks installed, so I presume that means all four slots work. The machine was originally used as a render workhorse which routinely made use of the full 128GB and it was always super reliable for that.

Anyway, I'm still scratching my head over this but the machine has now been delivered to a happy customer so there's nothing left for me to do but wonder.

Back