How Do I Run 3 Displays on 1 Computer

|CMF|SoulAssassin

Limp Gawd
Hey guys i need some professional help here, Basically what I'm trying to do is run three Monitors in one single Pc, Here is my little Dilemma, My boss wants Multiple screens to monitor Surveillance Cameras In different Locations, So I though of a easy solution which was to buy Matrox TripleHead2Go, Well Matrox Tripple head Did what it had to do but i soon found out that matrox runs One Big Resolution on all three monitors something like 2560x1600 or Something weird like 2300X700 Which Freaking sucks cause the software that we use for our surveillance Systems doesn't support any resolution higher then 1280 X 1024. So here is my questions to you guys What Video Card/usbport/anything that would work with my Configuration. I have currently installed a 6600 GT Nvidia Card. So been doing my research and i think i've found my solution Let me know what you guys think of this and if it will work, or if anyone has experience on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133165
now with this card ^ will i need to run my Currently video card link to this Card ?kinda like physx card or PCI-E x1

Thanks.....

State the specs of your computer please. It is hard to suggest anything when no information is given.

I am assuming you have a PCI-E 6600GT. Then either get a PCI Nvidia card or another PCI-E if you have another slot. Any card will work and let you do up to 4 displays in combination with the 6600GT.

you could -
get a matrox 4x display card (such as a QID, tho it's a bit expensive) to replace the 6600GT, set them to independent display or windows properties and they'll be recognized as separate monitors
connect two monitors to the 6600GT, they will be recognized as two monitors and then use an expansion slot for another video card (PCI or PCI-E) for the 3rd monitor.

Oopps I knew I forgot something here are the specs

Mobo - GA-P35-S3G

6600GT - PCI-E EVGA

Unfortunately it only has one PCI-E Slot, But it does have 1 Slot of XPCI-E x1 I also forgot to mentioned that each Resolution would have to have their own separate resolution,

all the suggestions above would support multiple resolutions
I believe that PCI-E cards can fit into x1 slots with an adapter if you want to go that route, it'll be cheaper than getting a matrox quad display card

looking at your motherboard, I'd just get a cheap NVidia PCI video card, since I'm guessing you won't be gaming on the 3rd monitor. It's the cheapest way and avoids driver weird stuffs and matrox.

all the suggestions above would support multiple resolutions
I believe that PCI-E cards can fit into x1 slots with an adapter if you want to go that route, it'll be cheaper than getting a matrox quad display card

yes risers work, but ATI has a FireMV 1x card though for about $150

true, also you can find a few PCI-E 1x Radeons for around $100, my only concern is mixing drivers. It's generally more stable to only have one set of drivers installed.
Also, Geforce 6200s, PCI versions, run for around $50, and older models for even less

I think thats my best bet here going with a PCI-E 1x Nvidia Card, Any one have a few recommendation as to what card it's good with my 6600 VGA card ?. If possible links nothing to expensive or rather something that would WORK with my Mobo+GPU card

So lets get this straight i could plug in a extra Video card that supports a PCI-E 1x Connection and just let the PnP take over with out installing a driver for the PCI-E 1x Card ?
Wouldn't that create some driver conflicts ?

Please Advice

Well, the only issue I can think of is that the only PCI-E 1x cards I know of are either ATI or Matrox, which aren't Nvidia so might cause issues, such as resolution lock/lag (think of a newly built computer with no video drivers when you first boot with a monitor).
If compatibility really is your concern, I'd get a normal PCI video card by Nvidia. It also costs less (~50$ less)

but where are they available?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2010380048 1069620108&name=PCI Express x1

When performance isn't really a necessity, I would go for lower price, saves some money to spend on a better screen, or beer money or sth (you choose)
PCI video cards are fine just to get another monitor since you don't plan on gaming on it, and they cost a lot less.

So You're saying that i could mix up a Nvidia Card with a ATI card to run 3 monitors ? I though this was a big no no... cause the link you posted only shows ATI Cards,

So You're saying that i could mix up a Nvidia Card with a ATI card to run 3 monitors ? I though this was a big no no... cause the link you posted only shows ATI Cards,

That was the idea, to show you that the only PCI-E 1x cards I could find are made by ATI, so I would recommend going the normal PCI route and going with an FX5200 or something.

Can you get a motherboard with onboard video and use that along with the two video card outputs? I've been wondering about this myself.

Can you get a motherboard with onboard video and use that along with the two video card outputs? I've been wondering about this myself.

Depends on the motherboard and integrated video chipset. Some can, while others have to be disabled to work with a card. All ones I've seen recently (in Hp workstations, 5750s,5800s etc) have been able to.

i would just go with a decent PCI video card with dual monitor output
In fact this is how i have it set up right now with my 6600 GT, But the concept was having 3 monitors.

squeaky - Are you saying that I'm probably better off with ATI cards to try to make this happen ?

Also i think I'm S.O.L Due to the chip being a integrated intel chip (Intel P35)

Man Theirs gotta be away to do this, I see it this all the time,

In fact this is how i have it set up right now with my 6600 GT, But the concept was having 3 monitors.

squeaky - Are you saying that I'm probably better off with ATI cards to try to make this happen ?

Also i think I'm S.O.L Due to the chip being a integrated intel chip (Intel P35)

Man Theirs gotta be away to do this, I see it this all the time,

No, my vote would be to go for a normal PCI video card first, if you have any free PCI slots and, use an Nvidia card. If you don't have any left, then try local stores or Amazon/other electronics stores/Ebay to find Nvidia PCI-E 1x cards, since apparently Newegg doesn't carry them.

Only after that would I get an ATI PCI-E 1x card.

all this should be done in addition to your current video card staying where it is, with its two monitors.

first reviews didn't show it off well, its probably more of a "I wish" than anything. Do not expect any 3d acceleration and probably some more lag on your machine.

Back