How do I run 2 instances of prime95?

Jared701

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got a dual core processor and having some issues so trying to run prime95 and make sure that my system is stable. When I try to run the exe again it just brings up the first window.

copy the exe and move it to another location. Let's refer to this as P2.
with the original being P1.

1. open P1, P2.
2. In P1, click "advanced" select affinity. Uncheck the box "Let program run on any CPU". Type 0 in the box where it says "specific cpu to run on"

3. Repeat step to for P2, but type 1 in the box "specific cpu to run on"

I have a related question:

I just put together a dusl opty system, and when I set it to run 2 instances of prime95 torture test, it behaves oddly: each instance uses half the page file, but only one cpu does anything. Whichever instance I start first, the cpu will jump right to 100% utilization. However, the second instance will not use the cpu anymore than like 5%, and it fluctuates. The system acts like only one cpu is being used, too: it remains very responsive. Then the cpu at 100% will finish one part of a test, then drop to nothing, and the second instance's cpu will max out. It will go back and forth, finishing one part of each torture test at a time.

Is this normal?

no, it's not normal. not sure what's going on there. sorry.

maybe you have it set on the wrong test?

to test cpu stability you set it for ... Small FFT (most power consumption) most heat
That minimizes memory usage and maxes out the processor.
I bet that you had it on Large FFT which tests the memory, and since you can only test all the memory at once, it only uses one processor to do it.

Right click on the prime95.exe//.
create shortcut..
create another shortcut..
right click on one of the shortcut's you made and go to properties..
change the "target" so it has "-A1" in it.. so it looks something like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -A1

in the other one, put "-A2"

and then it's also recommended in Prime 95, change the affinity of 1 instance to 0, and the other to 1

Danith said:
Right click on the prime95.exe//.
create shortcut..
create another shortcut..
right click on one of the shortcut's you made and go to properties..
change the "target" so it has "-A1" in it.. so it looks something like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Prime95\Prime95.exe" -A1

in the other one, put "-A2"

and then it's also recommended in Prime 95, change the affinity of 1 instance to 0, and the other to 1

yep this is correct.

Back