How do I resolve Unable to find file containing Live Operating System?

Discussion in 'Linux/BSD/Free Systems' started by scharfshutze009, Jan 21, 2018.

1. scharfshutze009

scharfshutze009 [H]ard|Gawd

How do I resolve Unable to find file containing Live Operating System for Linuxmint Debian 2 or Ubuntu 14.4.3 LTS Desktop i386 aka 32-bit? I was trying to run the LIve OS on the following hardware specs:

My Pentium 3 (CUC2) Computer Specs

-Motherboard: Asus CUC2 Intel 820E socket 370 motherboard

-Processor: Intel Pentium III Coppermine 1 GHz 133 MHz FSB 256 KB L2 cache 32 KB L1 cache

-Memory: Elpida PC-800 512MB x2

-Heatsink: Thermalright SLK-800A

-Heatsink fan: Vantec Tornado 80mm Double Ball Bearing High Air Flow Case Fan - Model TD8038H

-Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

-Video: BFG 7800GS 256MB GDDR3 AGP

-USB: StarTech 7 Port PCI USB Card Adapter Model PCIUSB7

-LAN: D-Link 530TX+

-RAID controller: PNY SPU5103PPB PCI SATA S-CURE Storage Card

-Optical Reader: MSI 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-18DP

-Optical Writer: LG DVD-RW DL Burner

-Floppy Drive: SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LFBL1 - O

-Case: Lian Li Classic Series PC-A71F / Black / Full Tower Case

I had this issue on my Supermicro P4SCT+II system as well at least with LDME or LDME2, but never figurered out how to resolve the issue. Is it just a bad burn to optical media or does LDME or Ubuntu not like these system specs?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. scharfshutze009

Turns out that the reason the Asus CUC2 computer might not boot from the Live Optical media is that AHCI might need to be enabled in BIOS instead of IDE, which might also be true of my P4SCT+II system that I would also like to post a video demonstration of on youtube and embed here in another thread as well as comment.

3. scharfshutze009

If turning on AHCI doesn't help maybe using USB or flash media might if this system or the P4SCT+II will support it.

4. CrimsonKnight13

CrimsonKnight13 Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress

What's the exact error you're getting?

5. tbg

tbg Limp Gawd

The Asus CUC2 does not have any sata ports, how do you plan to enable ahci. please tell us more.

6. scharfshutze009

Exactly, but I do think it has AHCI for some reason and I'm going to check anyway. If the problem is with booting from optical media maybe flash media will help, but I believe the solution of AHCI said they were using usb flash and I don't think that is supported on this board either. Therefore, it will have to be another type of flash media that can if usb flash can't be used.

7. scharfshutze009

"Unable to find file containing Live Operating System"

Just like I said in the original post.

8. CrimsonKnight13

CrimsonKnight13 Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress

I was hoping for more than that. I've corrected some live booting LInux distros by using "ln -s".

9. scharfshutze009

Yes, but how am I supposed to do that if it won't boot from the live cd and there is no other operating system on the computer or in another optical or device reader to do that?

10. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

That motherboard is so old that it's probably not supported. Also the 1Gb of ram is so and so for a modern distro. Try booting a light distro such as puppy linux.

Wild1 likes this.
  11. scharfshutze009

It's going the have to be Windows 7 on this Machine then, even if I have to buy hard drives because Linuxmint wouldn't work and I know Ubuntu won't work because it requires a 2 GHz processor for the desktop version.

12. you2

you2 [H]ard|Gawd

This makes no sense 'it requires 2 GHz processor??????" I never heard anything so insane. Linux is far more efficient than windows with regards to memory/cpu requirements. Unable to find operating system is completely unrelated to whether the hardware is supported. It is a problem with the bios finding the device with the OS.
    -

13. Mega6

Mega6 Limp Gawd

Dude its a suggested bs, recommended RAM is another story. Put linux on it. Redhat, Ubuntu..If its not too slow for win 7 there is no way it is too slow for Linux.

14. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Scharf this post is proof that you lack fundamental understanding on how computers work in general. You're in the wrong line of business unfortunately.

15. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Limp Gawd

The Linux community has done what Microsoft will probably now begin doing since Nvidia have announced that they're dropping support of 32 bit drivers and ditched 32 bit almost entirely. I don't like your chances at finding a 32 bit distro for a 32 bit processor, even dependencies are a major issue under 32 bit Linux, assuming you manage to find a distro that supports 32 bit.

That system would make a fine retro gamer, in which case I'd recommend Windows 2000/XP. But sadly, as fine a processor as the 1Ghz P!!! was, attempting to use it in a modern day setting is just unrealistic. Coming from someone with a 1.4Ghz Pentium !!! Tualatin @ 1.7Ghz.

16. you2

you2 [H]ard|Gawd

Mazzspeed likes this.
  17. Wild1

Wild1 n00bie

I have 64bit machine with dual core amd 1.6ghz and it can't run modern distros such as ubuntu 17.10.1 or Debian. Try puppy linux or damn small linux imo they are better suited to that old timer.