How do I log out of my google account

• Thread starter Deleted member 108676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108676

I have an android for work and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to sign out of my damn google account. I checked the play store, the menu...nothing...I want my personal data off of my work phone.

Settings - Accounts - select the given Google account - in there someplace is usually where it is, might need to click the Menu button once you select the account itself and then "Remove account" or something similar. If it's not then go into any Google app and dig, somewhere you'll find it. After deleting the account(s) you should do a full factory reset on the phone, usually found under the Backup & Reset entry on the Settings menu.

You do, of course, realize that using a Google Android-powered device and not being logged in basically makes it nearly useless in most respects considering, right? :D

You do, of course, realize that using a Google Android-powered device and not being logged in basically makes it nearly useless in most respects considering, right? :D

I loath this phone and use it at a bare minimum...whats required for work. Its worthless to me with or without an account.

Thanks for the info, but I looked in there and there is only a delete account and when I hit that it says it'll delete ALL account info and won't be available on "ANY" device.

It won't remove the actual Google account itself - that can only be done from Google's website and not from the Settings menu from any Android device - it will just remove the Google account from that device.

Add or remove an account - Nexus Help

While the page itself references a Nexus device (Google's flagship Android devices) it applies to any and all Android devices as noted. You're just removing the device and the associated account from that device alone, not all of Google which as I just noted can only be done through their website and it has like 3 levels of confirmation - it's not done with just a single "Are you sure?" or whatever.

EDIT:
Ok, after thinking about it for a few minutes I suppose I should clarify the statement as "It won't actually remove the Google account itself - etc etc - it will just remove the ability for that device to sync the Google account in question." You won't have access to any of the Google services that require being logged into said account because <tada> you're removing the account from the given device.

If you're used to having an iPhone, you can log out of all the services tied to the that specific iPhone from the phone itself - iTunes, iCloud, Maps, etc - but that doesn't actually remove your iTunes/iCloud/etc account, just the access to those accounts and services from that given device.

Does that make it easier to understand? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, but I looked in there and there is only a delete account and when I hit that it says it'll delete ALL account info and won't be available on "ANY" device.

Sure you didn't misread that? Here's what it says any any phone I've used (pulled this image from Google, but the verbiage is the same on my phone as well):

How-to-remove-Google-account-from-android.jpg

Regardless, it definitely won't affect the account itself or any other devices synced to that account if you remove it from that phone.

Last edited:
Sure you didn't misread that? Here's what it says any any phone I've used (pulled this image from Google, but the verbiage is the same on my phone as well):

How-to-remove-Google-account-from-android.jpg

Regardless, it definitely won't affect the account itself or any other devices synced to that account if you remove it from that phone.

Nope it says "Delete your Google Account and all Data"

I don't know how to take a screen shot on android.

It won't remove the actual Google account itself - that can only be done from Google's website and not from the Settings menu from any Android device - it will just remove the Google account from that device.

Add or remove an account - Nexus Help

While the page itself references a Nexus device (Google's flagship Android devices) it applies to any and all Android devices as noted. You're just removing the device and the associated account from that device alone, not all of Google which as I just noted can only be done through their website and it has like 3 levels of confirmation - it's not done with just a single "Are you sure?" or whatever.

EDIT:
Ok, after thinking about it for a few minutes I suppose I should clarify the statement as "It won't actually remove the Google account itself - etc etc - it will just remove the ability for that device to sync the Google account in question." You won't have access to any of the Google services that require being logged into said account because <tada> you're removing the account from the given device.

If you're used to having an iPhone, you can log out of all the services tied to the that specific iPhone from the phone itself - iTunes, iCloud, Maps, etc - but that doesn't actually remove your iTunes/iCloud/etc account, just the access to those accounts and services from that given device.

Does that make it easier to understand? :)
Nope, this thing is going to Delete my entire fucking account...

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

Untitled
by OEM +, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
And what menu options did you press exactly to get to that page?

If you follow these specific directions, it should just remove the account from the device, not delete the account altogether.

Settings>Accounts>Google>Account Preferences

Once there I have four options:
Language
Google Drive storage
Delete Google Services "Delete individual google services like Gmail from your account"
Delete your google account

Language
Google Drive storage
Delete Google Services "Delete individual google services like Gmail from your account"

No, you're going to Settings > Google > Account Preferences.

You should be going to Settings > Accounts > Google like that link I provided says.

Unless Moto for some reason fucked with the sub-menus in their last update, that's exactly where you should go.

Edit: Here's a video showing the same procedure that I linked to. It's on the previous version of Android, but works exactly the same on the current version.

Last edited:
No, you're going to Settings > Google > Account Preferences.

You should be going to Settings > Accounts > Google like that link I provided says.

Unless Moto for some reason fucked with the sub-menus in their last update, that's exactly where you should go.

Edit: Here's a video showing the same procedure that I linked to. It's on the previous version of Android, but works exactly the same on the current version.

AH HA!

You're a badass. I don't care what they say about you in General Mayhem.

Language
Google Drive storage

star_trek_facepalm_fail_by_kutpuppy27-d4odfxz.png

I've removed my Google account from my phone, I recover my data when I re-login. It won't really delete your datas from my experience

Back