How do I installl Windows 10 free on a new build?

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't care about retaining the Windows 7 license on my soon to be old build.

Am I able to enter the Windows 7 license key during the Windows 10 installation?

Do I need install Windows 7 first, and then upgrade to Windows 10 from that? Will Windows 7 even install cleanly on modern hardware (Z170 + NVMe SSD)? If this needs to be done just to install/activate Windows 10, can a clean install from scratch be performed after?

install win7 first, activate, run win10 installer, do "clean install". That would store your hardware ID on Win10 activation servers.

You can't do a clean install like that.

you have to upgrade to win10 from 7, THEN your hardware "key" is generated. After that then you can do a clean win10 install.

You can't do a clean install like that.

you have to upgrade to win10 from 7, THEN your hardware "key" is generated. After that then you can do a clean win10 install.

I said, "run win10 installer", not "boot from Win10 DVD".

You can do "clean install" right from Win7 to Win10 in one step, just delete windows.old at the end, that's it.

Middle option
BMpqqQF.png

That middle option is still an upgrade, it's not a true clean install. As has been noted hundreds of times over the past few months since Windows 10 was released, if you want to take advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade offer the 1st time you install it must be an upgrade (which that middle option still technically is even in spite of the wording they chose).

Upgrade installation by definition means you install on top of an OS that's currently on the drive, which is what that middle option does.

True clean install means you can do it on a blank hard drive or you're allowed to format the partition where the operating system is going to be installed.

Regardless, the facts are very clear: You must upgrade on top of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to claim the free upgrade offer from Microsoft for Windows 10 the 1st time - after that you can do clean installs anytime you want on the same hardware without the need for any product on the drive nor will you need to enter a Product Key (skip it both times it's asked for).

Isn't there a new build coming out this month that allows you to use a Windows 7/8 key instead of going through the whole upgrade process?

If you don't mind using a insider iso, get the latest and use your key when it asks. You can then download 10586 which is the final. or wait till next week when the main iso is updated.

http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-windows-10-fall-update

Finally, Microsoft is also making some changes on activation. In this new release, users will be able to activate Windows 10 using a genuine Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key without the need to go through the tedious process of upgrading first. And if the activation fails, users should be able to go directly to Settings > Update & security > Activation and "easily" change the product key.

get a Win 10 sounce on dvd. otherwise install win 7 and MS will give you update of win 10 to install

Back