How do I install a laptop HDD without the metal bracket/caddy?

penn919

Weaksauce
I've got an old laptop off of Ebay that didn't include a HDD or it's bracket. Is there a method of securing a HDD to its laptop port without the HDD bracket/caddy? Would you recommend using tape or some sort of adhesive tack? I've done some research but there doesn't seem to be any conventional wisdom on this.
Also, I can't find any HDD caddies for the laptop model I have...well, at least not inside the US.

Any ideas?

Model: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15 0319-46u

How about something like this?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Check with Lenovo support and see if they can sell you something for a decent price. If not, I'd probably just tape it, as long as it's an SSD.

Check with Lenovo support and see if they can sell you something for a decent price. If not, I'd probably just tape it, as long as it's an SSD.
I've got a normal 2.5' HDD. I went ahead and used an adhesive/tape/gel hybrid material (the same one I linked to above). I can tell you with certainty that that HDD won't be going anywhere. If anything, it might have worked too well. it might prove difficult to remove, but I think it can be done. I used a thin tiny metallic spatula tool to slide a small piece underneath the plated surface since it was faced down. The "tape" was just thick enough to hold up the HDD so that it was level with the SATA port on the mobo.

I gave the drive a firm shake to confirm it's secure. It holds firm. No wobble at all.

Thanks for the assist!

Back