How do i go about setting this up?

gabzor

Weaksauce
I have an i5 2600K, with a gigabyte z68 ud3 with built in video, and hdmi.
I also have an 6850 with hdmi

this is my main computer, and my tv is maybe 10ft away. So connectionwise, no problems cable works great.

I want to watch videos and view pictures using my image viewing program such as irfranview, and i want to watch videos with VLC on the TV

I know i can just disconnect the hdmi cable but it gets annoying, as i have to go down there, replug it, and change the default audio

I also have a soundcard that I didn't install yet (its from my older rig) (xfi xtremeaudio)

Is there a way I can get my computer to detect the TV with either the integrated onboard hdmi just for the tv, and recognize my monitor with the xfi? (do i just setup defaults and what not? and if the tv is off it will be off but the volume will still play im guessing)

or is it better if i use the soundcard for the TV too

then what i want to do is game and work on my computer, but if i can can i transfer my screen to the TV, and have it detect the audio inputs too?

If you already have the stuff, why haven't you tried it yourself?

FYI, I have a gtx 460 and 3570k, I use on board Intel HDMI for my TV and gtx 460 for Monitor.
TV Speakers when using TV and Logitech G35 USB Headset when using the monitor.

The TV out is automatically enabled and disabled when I turn the TV on or off and the Audio Output device automatically switches between the TV and USB Headset.

Another indirect advantage for me was that my idle wattage at the wall went down from about 110 watts when using the gtx 460 for both outputs, to 65 watts when using gtx 460 + Intel HD.
Apparently the gtx 460 would not drop into it's lowest power state with two monitors attached.

oh thats smart, thanks! how did you make it so that the tv out is automatically detected without unplugging? and did you set it up as a "duplicate"?

heres what i would do,
first set up 2 displays in independent mode.
you can use the 6850 for both, or put one on each, one on radeon and one on intel. up to you. and yes you will save power by using only one port on the radeon.

use media center, or any other media center ish program. xbmc, media portal, etc.
tell it to default to the display number 2, for both audio and video. (for windows media center, you pick the video source in media center, but the audio source in windows media player)

note: your certainly welcome to use vlc for for the video. but i reccomend a program with a 10' UI for elegance and simplicity.

first get a portable version of VLC so its settings dont effect you using VLC on the regular monitor. make a shortcut to the portable VLC, you can open the advanced video preferences in VLC, and tell it to choose a second monitor for fullscreen video. you also go into audio, choose wave out and choose HDMI.

ok, then use your dvi or whatever for your monitor, along with whatever sound you want to use on your monitor, x-fi etc.

then you can work as normal, but then what you want to watch on the tv, turn on the tv, then press media center, and boom go to your couch. get an MCE remote for $15.

Last edited:
Back