How do I get sound to work with a Wii, component cables, and a computer monitor?

Impulse2k

Weaksauce
So I've had this Gateway FPD2485W 24" monitor now for over a month yet I've had no idea how to get sound with my Wii so I just leave it connected to my crappy TV. I've searched google but i can't find anything on the subject. What do i do?

I've got a question about my 360 too... I use the VGA cable and plug the sound cable into my speaker's headphone jack. If you've ever seen the 360 VGA cable you know that the sound cable that splits off from the VGA part is only like a foot long which means I have to put my center speaker right behind the monitor instead of where I'd normally keep it. So I bought a headphone extension cable but when I use it the sound just wont work for the 360, but it works perfectly fine with a pair of headphones. Is there a reason for this? Maybe I'm doing something wrong and don't realize it?

Thanks for any help.

So I've had this Gateway FPD2485W 24" monitor now for over a month yet I've had no idea how to get sound with my Wii so I just leave it connected to my crappy TV. I've searched google but i can't find anything on the subject. What do i do?

Does the Gateway monitor have RCA video input? If not you'll need some kind of video in to get the video displayed through that.. But anyways - there are multiple ways of getting the sound out depending on whats connected to the monitor.

If your computer is also connected and would also be on at the same time as your Wii you can get a dual female RCA -> 1/8" Stereo plug and go in to your audio in of your sound card..

Otherwise you can just hook up the sound through a device like a receiver.. It might also work if you find a 2x female RCA -> 1/8" jack (female) and pluf in some computer speakers or something...

I've got a question about my 360 too... I use the VGA cable and plug the sound cable into my speaker's headphone jack. If you've ever seen the 360 VGA cable you know that the sound cable that splits off from the VGA part is only like a foot long which means I have to put my center speaker right behind the monitor instead of where I'd normally keep it. So I bought a headphone extension cable but when I use it the sound just wont work for the 360, but it works perfectly fine with a pair of headphones. Is there a reason for this? Maybe I'm doing something wrong and don't realize it?

Thanks for any help.

The only thing I can think of is the extension cable is mono instead of stereo.. the plug on the end should have 2 black circles going around it for a total of 3 contacts..

The monitor has 2 sets of component inputs so thats where the video will go through. If I did it with a receiver (could you show me an example of this because I'm not even sure what you mean, and it's too vague so Google isn't helping) or computer speakers what and where do I plug into the Wii? I don't see any ports on the Wii for a seperate audio cable.

The best solution without having to buy a fancy tuner or something is this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2,CONTENTID=10036

However, for most people the quickest solution (since you have to order the above adapter online) is to go to radioshack and get an RCA to Mini-jack Y adapter (2 RCA inputs on one side, male mini-jack output on the other) + a male mini-jack to female mini-jack adapter (female mini-jack on both sides, when placed male mini-jack it makes it into a female so speakers and such can be plugged into it).

In either case you can plug RCA inputs into one side and PC speakers or headphones into the other and you will have sound, and it costs less than $10!

Back