How do I get rid of dust off my Mobo/PC hardware?hi

etegv

Limp Gawd
Hey, guys

I bought one of those PC dusters/blowers off Amazon. It's the Xpower X2 airrow dust/blower. Can I use it on my Mobo and the rest of my PC hardware like gpu, SSD, etc.? the blower is very powerful, and I don't want to damage any of the hardware. I was going to use it to blow dust off my case.

Thanks.

I used a leaf blower to clean out my friends PC and it still works, the PC that is, lol.
I just made sure that no fans spun when I was blowing it out. Had my friend use a screwdriver to hold the fans still in the area I was blowing out.

You can bathe a motherboard as long as you give it enough time to dry and make sure you leave no residue that could conduct electricity. I use a air compressor and I dont even hold the fans in place but that would probably be a good idea too.

You can bathe a motherboard as long as you give it enough time to dry and make sure you leave no residue that could conduct electricity. I use a air compressor and I dont even hold the fans in place but that would probably be a good idea too.

Also make sure to remove any batteries.

holding the fans‘ blades is a good idea. I’ve shattered a couple fans from overrunning them.

Slap some painters tape on fans, and use a leaf blower/air compressor!

yea, maybe one like this :p

2.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck buying one of those anytime soon lol. also consider cats and long snouted dogs, wtf good is n95 for them even if there weren't a plague running rampant?

I have a 5 gallon air compressor I set to 40 PSI for blowing out computers. I don't recommend a leaf blower since they can launch detritus they suck up at the motherboard at high speeds.

One of my friends used his leaf blower after doing lawn work on his machine and it launched grass clippings and dirt at his machine so hard you could hear it pinging off the metal on the case. Fortunately it didn't kill the machine, but it was a wake up call to not use the leaf blower again.

If you don't want to dish out $350 for a shop compressor, those little pancake compressors designed for nail guns also work, it's just they run constantly since there's no volume in their tank.

You can use non-conductive brushes as well. I have some nylon brushes I usualy use for quick minor dust removal on stuff that doesn't warrant the datavac (things like fan blades, mesh covers, grills), but i've also used horsehair brushes for large flat areas, such as the backs of motherboards, GPUs, and even HDDs.

I usually use an air compressor, pressure dialed back a bit. With a moisture filter to keep the air dry of condensates. Works great.

I just use a giotto lens blower. the space rocket kind. Works just fine even on the thickest dust. A half inch paint brush works good too.

I use the same electric air duster as picture above. Works great. For dust gunk that won't come off with the electric air blower I'd use 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited:
If you are having a hard time finding isopropyl, the red bottle of iso heet is 98.5% isopropyl alcohol.

I used a leaf blower to clean out my friends PC and it still works, the PC that is, lol.
I just made sure that no fans spun when I was blowing it out. Had my friend use a screwdriver to hold the fans still in the area I was blowing out.
ya i to have used a leaf blower (electric) No problems

Back