How do I get DirecTV input in Mythtv?

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not talking about controlling the box, though I do still have to tackle that issue. I have my RCA DTV receiver connected to my PVR-150 via s-video and RCA, and then I have a s-video/RCA going from the video card/mobo to the TV. I wasn't sure which s-video connection (1 or 0) to use on mythtv inputs setup, so I tried configuring one and then both. All I get is a black screen when I try to watch TV, and in the console I get an error about how it failed to initialize the TV and whatnot. How do I clear out these input settings and what should I enter this time around to be able to watch DirecTV through Myth?

also, a little off topic, but does anyone know how to fix the very quiet audio when playing a DVD? The volume in MythMusic is fine, but I can barely hear the dvd audio.

It's been a little while since I've messed with it, but I'll give this a shot. Hopefully I can help.

When you setup your capture cards in mythtv, you'll want to select the "lowest number" svideo connection. For me (using PVR250) this was SVideo0. Now, it's a LOT easier to test this connection using command line utilities than it is to futz around with mythtv. Here's what I did to test:

1. Turn on the DirecTV box. In my case, I have the DirecTV hooked up via RCA to my TV so that I can watch directly if I need to, with the audio signal going through a Y cable. That way, I can verify that a valid signal is being presented to the capture card.

2. Configure your capture card (using ivtvctl) to pull data from svideo0:
ivtvctl -p $NUMBER
Now.... $NUMBER is the numerical representation of the input on the card. I don't know what number the svideo input is on the 150, but for my 250, I think it was 2 or 3.

3. Test a capture from the device: (this may be different depending on your distro....)
cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test.mpg
....let this run for about 30 seconds or so, then <ctrl>+C to break it

4. Play test video:
mplayer /tmp/test.mpg

If the video comes up with sound and such, you should be golden... be sure to configure myth to match the config that you had above. If you don't get anything when you test the file, then change the input number and try again.

As far as DVD audio volume goes, I'm not sure what's going on, but I would start by looking at what volume level all your "aux" inputs are using alsamixer. Also keep in mind that alsamixer does have some very "odd" behavior with some devices / playback mechanisms, and I had some problems where every time I started playing a new file, my mixer settings would be tanked and I'd have to raise the mixer level again. I think I fixed this by twiddling the default value for that channel in a conf file somewhere, but I'm not certain.

Good luck, and I hope this helps you out. I will be building my mythbox back up in the next few days, so things will be more fresh in my mind then.

Incidentally, what are you going to do about DirecTV box control?

-q

qfour20 said:

That worked...somewhat. The input for the 150 is 3, and while I do get audio and video, the video itself is *very* distorted. There is no clear picture at all, everyting is slanted with line going to the picture to the point where all I see are just moving rows of colors. It's hard to explain, and if I knew how to screenshot in linux I'd show you. Here's the output I get when playing the file:

# mplayer /tmp/test.mpg
MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.2.3 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0

Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not open config files /root/.lircrc and /etc/lircrc
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to read LIRC config file ~/.lircrc.
You will not be able to use your remote control.
Playing /tmp/test.mpg.
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO: MPEG2 720x480 (aspect 2) 29.970 fps 9600.0 kbps (1200.0 kbyte/s)
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 384.0 kbit/25.00% (ratio: 48000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm:mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
No vidix driver name provided, probing available ones (-v option for details)!
vo: X11 running at 800x600 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
[nvidia_vid] Found chip: NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
libdha: DHA kernelhelper failed: No such file or directory
[nvidia_vid] arch 30 register base 28a6000
libdha: DHA kernelhelper failed: No such file or directory
[nvidia_vid] detected memory size 128 MB
[nvidia_vid] MTRR set up
[nvidia_vid] video mode: 800x600@32
VIDIX: Description: NVIDIA RIVA OVERLAY DRIVER
VIDIX: Author: Sascha Sommer <[email protected]>
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred csp: Mpeg PES)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
VDecoder init failed :(
Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder libmpeg2-v0.4.0b
Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm:libmpeg2 (MPEG-1 or 2 (libmpeg2))
Checking audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/s16le -> 48000Hz/2ch/s16le...
AF_pre: 48000Hz/2ch/s16le
alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default
alsa: 48000 Hz/2 channels/4 bpf/65536 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little Endian
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)
Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/s16le -> 48000Hz/2ch/s16le...
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 720 x 480 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 5 -> 4

SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar YV12 to Packed YUY2 using MMX2
VO: [xvidix] 720x480 => 720x540 Packed YUY2
[nvidia_vid] set colorkey 0xff00
called vixConfigPlayback
[nvidia_vid] setting up a 720x540-40x30 video window (src 720x480), format 0x32595559
A: 6.6 V: 6.6 A-V: 0.027 ct: 0.023 189/189 15% 17% 0.5% 14 0
alsa-uninit: pcm closed

Exiting... (End of file)

edit: I almost forgot, I was planning on controlling the DirecTV box via serial cable with the script that's been floating around the internet. The problem is that I don't know if it will work for me because while I have an RCA box, I don't have the model everyone is using. Mine is DRD523RB, and on the compatibility list on the site it shows up as untested. So basically I don't know what script to use just yet.

edit: one more thing, what and where in Myth do I enter the settings to get it to recognize that config?

I've got it working now. I re-read the fedora/mythtv guide and reconfigured ivtv and then set up the settings in mythtv. I've also set it up so I can control the DirecTV box through MythTV, which is nice, I just wish things were a little snappier.

what would make it snappy? faster processor, more tweaking to your system? i'm building a mythtv setup soon and snappy is a must. i hate laggy systems.

Back