How do I find out what is going on inside my 3COM switch?

nevamore

Limp Gawd
I have this 3COM switch that is located in my server room and is basically the backbone of a single subnet domain. It does have the 2 gigabit cards added in the back that give a total of 4) gigabit connections which are in use by servers. We have 2 other closets housing various switches ( and a couple of hubs :rolleyes: ) none of which are manageable. The closets are connected back to the server room by fiber.

We are planning a move to VoIP very soon and I was hoping that I can use this 3COM switch to see how much bandwidth is currently being used, etc. Since I have never looked into a managed switch like this there is probably other info I need but don't yet know it until I see it.

- Which of the software/utilities do I need to use on the 3COM page to start watching my switch?

- What should I be watching for to see how my network and switch are performing?

- Will this give me a good snapshot of what is going on my network to decide whether I need to move to gigabit?

I know this a lot of questions but I would very much appreciate any info you can give on this.

Well, your server should have a network anyliser program in the admin tools. That might give you a breif idea of whats going on on your network.

Back