How do I figure out what wireless security a wireless card is compatable with?

renswic

Supreme [H]ardness
Problem we are having is that if we use:
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

only my laptop will work via wireless. My wife's will connect but it will not open web pages(firefox, IE or chrome). If I kill the security her laptop connects just fine.

Where it gets odd. If we use our ISPs security program(a monthly fee to use, that I really don't want to use) it works just fine.

If I change it to a different wireless security setting one of our laptops come up and incompatible with the setting. Hence the need to see what card will accept what options.

Router in question is a Netgear WNR3500v2. I know I can set it to only accept certain mac addresses but I'd rather have a PW protected access for guests.

MAC filtering is not good protection.

How old is your wife's laptop? Is it running Windows XP? What is the wireless card in the laptop? You can usually find this information on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or you might be able to find out in Device Manager.

Windows XP requires an update in order to support WPA2. The laptop's wireless card may need updated drivers.

Have you ever updated the firmware on your WNR3500 router?

MAC filtering is not good protection.

How old is your wife's laptop? Is it running Windows XP? What is the wireless card in the laptop? You can usually find this information on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop or you might be able to find out in Device Manager.

Windows XP requires an update in order to support WPA2. The laptop's wireless card may need updated drivers.

Have you ever updated the firmware on your WNR3500 router?

Her laptop is less then a year old. Running W7. Device manager shows that it has a "Atheros AR5B93 wireless network adapter"

Router is up to date on the firmware(it auto checks when you logon to it, I log on at least once a month for the auto check and a forced check to be sure)

My laptop is just about a year old and has a "Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card"

I know mac filtering isn't really a security option. Tis the reason I don't want to rely on it.

I am willing to use a software based program to run security like we were using with my ISPs program(Digi Do) just not one that lets my ISP have access any time they want to.

For many years now...whenever I see an issue with a laptop not working via wireless..and I'm ripping my hair out over something...I usually find the common denominator is an "Atheros" based card. I've come to hate hate HATE those with a passion. And love the widespread compatibility and performance of Intel based wireless cards. All my clients...when they're getting laptops, I upgrade the wireless to Intel...and I'll walk away from supporting Atheros based ones.

But..you have what you have there...so try the following:
*Firmware check on router...you've done that, so scratch that first item
*If it has any proprietary "turbo/108" or whatever modes...disable those.
*Try setting WPA or WPA2..not the combo mode.
*Update the wireless drivers on the problematic laptop

For many years now...whenever I see an issue with a laptop not working via wireless..and I'm ripping my hair out over something...I usually find the common denominator is an "Atheros" based card. I've come to hate hate HATE those with a passion. And love the widespread compatibility and performance of Intel based wireless cards. All my clients...when they're getting laptops, I upgrade the wireless to Intel...and I'll walk away from supporting Atheros based ones.

But..you have what you have there...so try the following:
*Firmware check on router...you've done that, so scratch that first item
*If it has any proprietary "turbo/108" or whatever modes...disable those.
*Try setting WPA or WPA2..not the combo mode.
*Update the wireless drivers on the problematic laptop

I can't remember what laptop I was playing with the settings on, but I'll check them both.

These are the options I have via the router:
None
WEP
WPA-PSK [TKIP]
WPA2-PSK [AES]
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

I know WEP is the weakest of the bunch, so try the WPA ones one at a time and see if it works?

Also what am I looking for with a new wireless card? Oh and would it mater that my laptop does not support wireless N but hers does(as does the router)?

Ended up using WPA2-PSK [AES] and doing some test pages on both laptops(pages I know both laptops haven't been to) and so far it looks like it is working.

Should I do the MAC filtering as well or leave it be.

Ended up using WPA2-PSK [AES] and doing some test pages on both laptops(pages I know both laptops haven't been to) and so far it looks like it is working.

Should I do the MAC filtering as well or leave it be.

MAC filtering is an extra layer that I think is really not needed in a home environment. When friends visit and bring there kids, it seems everyone has a wireless device. I simply give them my password and everyone's happy. I do change the pass 3 or 4 times a year.

Cheers!

Back