How do I disable Metro in win8 consumer preview version?

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there an app for disabling metro in the newest version of win8 (consumer preview)?

you can't, all you can do is login and launch the desktop app to avoid it

for those who want to avoid metro don't install the W8 at all as it can't be removed, disabled or replaced(sadly)

Minor clarification: The desktop isn't an app. It's still the desktop. Metro is just an new take on the start menu.

The line is blurry, since the code for the desktop isn't even loaded if you don't load the desktop.

First, you're wrong for not liking Metro. It's glorious and anyone to ignorant to see that does not deserve the use a computer.

Now since I'm one of the ignorant people, what I do to avoid metro is add ViStart, which adds a Start Menu. It's not fully functional (no right-click) but it still does a decent job. I like it because it replaces Metro when you press the Win key.

To get rid of Metro, there are work arounds/applications that will automatically take you to the desktop. I have trouble getting them to work though. What I've done is right-click and uninstall all Metro apps, then unpin the remaining ones. All that is left is the desktop icon. Just click that after logging in.

Right, why stick with Windows 7 if you don't like Win8? Buy an iMac instead...:rolleyes:

Until It becomes winXp?

WinXP SP3 is still officially supported for another couple of years roughly. Vista is still supported, as well as more or less being a 'twin' of 7.

Also if you don't like a new UI and/or tweaks being forced on you, why the hell would you want a mac? Troll much?

I would appreciate it if I could go directly to the desktop after login without pressing any keys or buttons. If Metro offers any kind of "go to this app/tile immediately upon login" option, that would be great.

First, you're wrong for not liking Metro. It's glorious and anyone to ignorant to see that does not deserve the use a computer.

Sigged. :D Awesome post sir :cool:

this time I am seriously thinking on going and buying an Imac.

Until It becomes winXp?

Really? Really?
So you'd rather completely disown a GUI and leap to a completely different GUI on overpriced hardware to boot?

Calm down man....not that serious.
As others have said - XP's still supported (albeit Extended Support Phase, IIRC).
7 has until 1/13/2015 for mainstream support and 5 more years after that (1/14/2020) for extended support.

Look, I think Metro's a bad idea for a GUI on anything other than a touchscreen, and I think MS is being retarded for forcing it on anyone who wants to use 8 (until there's a patch to bypass it and go straight to regular old Explorer), but that being said - that doesn't cheapen 7 as bar none the best OS Microsoft has come up with since Win2k. Stick with 7, just like a lot of other people are going to do. I will use 7 probably past the point of expiration now that I have a Pro license for all my machines from school/MSDNAA. I seriously doubt there's going to be anything down the pipe that is worthy of buying more licenses for any newer version of Windows, short of them trying to pull another dick move (like many times before) and make the next overhyped iteration of DirectX an "exclusive" for Windows 9 or 10 or WTF.

I would appreciate it if I could go directly to the desktop after login without pressing any keys or buttons. If Metro offers any kind of "go to this app/tile immediately upon login" option, that would be great.

Agreed, and that's been my biggest gripe with what I've seen so far of 8.
If they don't incorporate a way to go straight to the standard desktop that everyone's used to, then I think they're going to be getting a LOT of complaints until they patch that feature in.

Last edited:
You know, people really make WAY more out of this supposed "going to the desktop" issue than is really an issue. What's the first the first thing that you normally do when using your computer? For most people it's probably launching a web browser. So switch IE 10 to start in desktop mode instead of Metro and the voila, you just launched a program and you're on the desktop. whatever being on the desktop means. You could put whatever program you normally start up with at the front of the Start Menu, Chrome of FF if you don't like IE, again for most people it's going to be a web browser or maybe something like Outlook.

This whole going to the desktop is probably is biggest non-issue issue that's being raised in the Windows 8 debate. People don't go to the desktop, they go to applications.

Luckily there is a way, though a bit hackish :p

I think we’ll see a modified explorer.exe file with metro removed and maybe a normal start menu added without using any apps

You know, people really make WAY more out of this supposed "going to the desktop" issue than is really an issue. What's the first the first thing that you normally do when using your computer? For most people it's probably launching a web browser. So switch IE 10 to start in desktop mode instead of Metro and the voila, you just launched a program and you're on the desktop. whatever being on the desktop means. You could put whatever program you normally start up with at the front of the Start Menu, Chrome of FF if you don't like IE, again for most people it's going to be a web browser or maybe something like Outlook.

This whole going to the desktop is probably is biggest non-issue issue that's being raised in the Windows 8 debate. People don't go to the desktop, they go to applications.

Pretty much. Depending what I'm doing, my first click upon log in is either Trillian, Chrome or Steam/Origin and boom it's there...in the desktop. With my pinned apps and messy desktop shortcuts. And even my Quicklaunch bar if I stop forgetting to re-add it. Or even off the Start menu which is scary now.

But it can't be that easy because it's an extra 20 millimeters further, corporations will hate it and because there's some touchy UI stuff that I don't even think of because my mouse is working fine it's not that easy, it's all different and scary.

If they (MS) didn't change something, it wouldn't be different.

I see nothing in "8" that isn't already is in "7".......:eek: except for the metro thing, which is just an annoyance.

(it does seem to load faster though.....:D)

Is there an app for disabling metro in the newest version of win8 (consumer preview)?

Uninstall Windows 8? The whole point of the CP is to test out the new features and provide any feedback.

..and I think MS is being retarded..

no, really? :p

ive being a coder for 10 years developing software/gui for whatever (oracle/firebird) database.. i know how stuff should be written, in (not only) my opinion those MS monkeys are HINDERING EVOLUTION like a buncha retarded autistic little children imposing their crap way of being on humankind, like the club of the rejects thinking theyre cool, ugly people doing ugly things, crap people producing crap... with the level of hardware we have for cheap these days, this shit (microsoft) has to go, i dont care how, i have a few friends who work admin for at least 10.000 machines and they say server 2008 is bad for them as 7 is for me... so i think like, spray the development team with a gun, plain murder everybody, or give 10 milion dollars each, doesnt matter how, this shit HAS TO GO because i doubt any replacement can be that silly, childish, ugly and dumb... nothing can. :(

no, really? :p

ive being a coder for 10 years developing software/gui for whatever (oracle/firebird) database.. i know how stuff should be written, in (not only) my opinion those MS monkeys are HINDERING EVOLUTION like a buncha retarded autistic little children imposing their crap way of being on humankind, like the club of the rejects thinking theyre cool, ugly people doing ugly things, crap people producing crap... with the level of hardware we have for cheap these days, this shit (microsoft) has to go, i dont care how, i have a few friends who work admin for at least 10.000 machines and they say server 2008 is bad for them as 7 is for me... so i think like, spray the development team with a gun, plain murder everybody, or give 10 milion dollars each, doesnt matter how, this shit HAS TO GO because i doubt any replacement can be that silly, childish, ugly and dumb... nothing can. :(

:rolleyes:

While it won't disable metro completely, the following registry entry will give you a traditional start menu system, which can be quite handy:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Change RPEnabled to 0

While it won't disable metro completely, the following registry entry will give you a traditional start menu system, which can be quite handy:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Change RPEnabled to 0

No, it won't.

sorry for the harsh comments, ive been drinking too much and i am actually worried with myself, need to take a break, at least a few weeks without drinking... :)

No, it won't.
Created a fresh install of Windows 8 Developer Preview just to double-check:

Before:
47385785.png

After:
39730536.png

edit: Crap, Consumer Preview, not Developers Preview. I don't have a copy of that. I assume that they disabled the ability to hack the registry like that?

edit: Crap, Consumer Preview, not Developers Preview. I don't have a copy of that. I assume that they disabled the ability to hack the registry like that?

Yeah, I think the Start Menu code has been removed from the CP and I would assume this will be true of all future builds as well so it's probably going to take some pretty invasive hacking to get the Start Menu back that will require adding in different components. I imagine there will be someone that comes up with something but it probably won't be anything that average people will do and I think the point here is to just get average people to start using the Start Menu because most of them will just adapt.

Been using it on 3 pc's since launch day, and you almost never have to visit Metro land, so its not such a big deal to me anymore.

You know my attitude towards metro up until a two weeks ago was one of disdain. I just didn't want to deal with what I considered added crap on top of my nice Windows 7 desktop.

Then I used in on a tablet and an AIO system...and my disdain started to waiver. Then I started to actually use it (of course I had someone from Microsoft showing me features on my tablet as he was working on his) and I started to like it. I could see where they were going with it and it started to get interesting. Definitely a new take on navigating around your operating system.

Then I took away the touch features of the the AIO and tablet and started using a mouse again and it just lost it's innovative feel. I honestly think its a great move forward for systems that have integrated touch, but in situations where you are still working only with a mouse and keyboard it would take me some getting used to, at least a bit longer than it did with my fingers.

It's different, quite a bit different that's for sure...but I would give it a chance. My main concern still revolves around how it's going to behave in a enterprise environment and active directory integration, but for home use I think the younger generation that are glued to their phones are going to like it.

Now since I'm one of the ignorant people, what I do to avoid metro is add ViStart, which adds a Start Menu. It's not fully functional (no right-click) but it still does a decent job. I like it because it replaces Metro when you press the Win key.

To get rid of Metro, there are work arounds/applications that will automatically take you to the desktop. I have trouble getting them to work though. What I've done is right-click and uninstall all Metro apps, then unpin the remaining ones. All that is left is the desktop icon. Just click that after logging in.

say what?

Metro is not something that is desktop friendly expecially on NON TOUCH HARDWARE. It just adds another step to getting to the desktop

I do like the picture that rolls up to show you the login screen and the big clock on that screen.

I am not sure on the heavy intergration of MS Live account to the PC though. this could become a SERIOUS issue if Live ever gets breached (and don't you DARE say it won't happen) as that could compromise your PC like never before.

say what?

Metro is not something that is desktop friendly expecially on NON TOUCH HARDWARE. It just adds another step to getting to the desktop

I do like the picture that rolls up to show you the login screen and the big clock on that screen.

I am not sure on the heavy intergration of MS Live account to the PC though. this could become a SERIOUS issue if Live ever gets breached (and don't you DARE say it won't happen) as that could compromise your PC like never before.

And what do you need to get to your desktop so badly for? To get to a shortcut? Can't you just add the shortcut to the metro GUI and get rid of that extra step you are so worried about?

And what do you need to get to your desktop so badly for? To get to a shortcut? Can't you just add the shortcut to the metro GUI and get rid of that extra step you are so worried about?

why do they need to add an extra step?

I know of the MS butt burglers in here eat this crap like candy but still it is not needed and if you have actually used Win 8, you would know that the dekstop is already a link in the metro ui......and that once you are there it is nothing like a Win 7 dektop

I know of the MS butt burglers in here eat this crap like candy but still it is not needed and if you have actually used Win 8, you would know that the dekstop is already a link in the metro ui......and that once you are there it is nothing like a Win 7 dektop

If one wants to be tied down to keyboards and mice and not have a choice in the form factor or input device without a different OS and different device then sure its not needed. But the world is moving beyond desktops, laptops, keyboards and mice.

And as different as you say the Windows 8 desktop is different from Windows 7 amazingly practically all of the same desktop applications that I use on Windows 7 work in 8 exactly the same.

And who gives a fuck if the overall look of the desktops has changed? The desktop is just a page with all of your shortcuts. The main metro page is just a list of shortcuts, which happen to be a little larger. I fail to see how this is so much extra work to add a shortcut there as apposed to the old version of the desktop.

I'm not saying I'm a fan of the new GUI, but I haven't not done a lot of testing on the Client OS. I'm mainly doing testing on the server OS to check out the new HyperV functionality, so I can then make recommendations to work. While the GUI on Server 8 different, it's still not some crazy complex change that warrants all this bitching. If you don't like it, and the new features are usefull to you, stay on 7. But stop complaining that MS is at least trying to make changes/improvments and not just re-releasing the same crap with minor revisions.

Back