How do i direct connect two computers using a cat5 cable?

snoopy

Limp Gawd
How do i connect two computers (a laptop and a desktop computer) using a network cable and connect to the internet. the laptop is connected to the internet through its wireless card, but i want to connect my computer to the laptop and connect to the network (my wireless card wont connect and my cable is too short to reach the router, so the laptop is the only option).

You will have to use a crossover cable to connect the computers. Then just set up internet connection sharing or something on your laptop. Personally, though, I'd just get a longer cable and hook your desktop directly up to the router. That would be the optimal configuration.

yes, you will indeed need a crossover cable for this application. Depending on what you will be doing on this computer, as jpmkm said running a direct cable might be the best thing. How come you can't connect to the router threw wireless? No siginal or what?

it doesnt even pick up a signal from the router and i have no idea why

the router is through 2 walls about 30 feet away , but the laptop which is next to this computer picks it up fine.

its a d-link wireless card and i have a linksys router...does that make a difference?

can anyone guide me through this?

It doesn't make a differance aslong as they are both are in the same frequency. 802.11b/g = 2.4 and 802.11a= 5

Theyre the same frequency, but my card wont detect the router or talk to it.

Im just gonna buy a long cable for when stuff like this happens :(

did you try manually setting up the SSID and WEP/WPA keys (if any)?

I dunno if desktop wireless cards have this, but i remember i spent hours figuring out why my laptop wouldnt connect to the AP when it was 2 feet infront of me and every other laptop i would try would. Then i figured out that the radio on the laptop was off (and windows doesnt tell u this) because the stupid Dell Lat. D600 doesnt have a wifi light.

Back