How do I create a run command shortcut?

YamahaAlex37

[H]ard|Gawd
I am very annoyed with windows sidebar right now, and it's inability to easily be toggled on or off. I usually have to go to task manager and kill sidebar.exe, and use the Run command to load sidebar. Does anyone know if it is possible to create a shortcut of the Run command, with a "siderbar" already typed in, so that it just auto loads the sidebar? Thanks.

Why not just create a shortcut to siderbar.exe?

Side note: If you want to be turning hte sidebar on and off, you're doing it wrong. Its entire point is to always be there.

Just make a batch file that kills the task, and then opens up the side bar.

Why not just create a shortcut to siderbar.exe?

Side note: If you want to be turning hte sidebar on and off, you're doing it wrong. Its entire point is to always be there.

Because I don't know where siderbar.exe is located :confused:

Create a text file called restartSidebar.cmd on your desktop. Edit it and add the following lines:

Code:
taskkill /im sidebar.exe
"c:\program files\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe"

That should give you an icon on your desktop to restart it. I think that's what you're looking for...

No I'm guessing I did, what's your point?

That nothing named "Sidebar" comes up, at least not on my computer

Create a text file called restartSidebar.cmd on your desktop. Edit it and add the following lines:

Code:
taskkill /im sidebar.exe

That should give you an icon on your desktop to restart it. I think that's what you're looking for...

Thanks a lot, this is exactly the type of thing I was hoping was possible. Only right now the way that's written it kills one sidebar gadget at a time, until they are all closed then it opens them all.

Last edited:
easy fix.

Code:
taskkill /f /im sidebar.exe

Back