How do I change the minimum fan speed on my GTX 780 Ti?

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
My MSI 780 Ti has a minimum fan speed of 34%. How do I change that to zero? It's not loud at 34% but it still bugs me. The technique I used to change my old 660 Ti doesn't work.

Seriously?.. O_O that card in automatic fan speed its silent until extreme loads.. O_O. Will you prefeer to increase up to 20C even in idle just for nothing? Because the noise difference will be practically zero... Anyway.. The only way its to unlock the BIOS, with KGB or any other BIOS editor you can unlock from 0% to 100%. Then just with AB, or EVGA precision X just set a custom fan curve adequated to your needs.

Honestly, your post is kinda surprising. You'd have to be really nitpicky (no offense or anything ;) ) to not like the noise levels of the idle MSI gamer cards. From various sound tests around the web done via GTX 780/780ti reviews, they are the quietest aftermarket cards on the market.

Of course that doesn't answer your question, so - you can't adjust it without a different BIOS from my understanding. I remember reference 680s had a similar fan cap at the low end, and required a different BIOS for adjustment beyond that. I highly doubt any BIOS will allow you to shut the fans off in a fan profile, either. What method worked on the 660? Just curious. I've not seen a BIOS that allows fans to be 0%? Wouldn't that be worrisome even at idle?

Seriously?.. O_O that card in automatic fan speed its silent until extreme loads..

No, it's not silent. I can hear it right now. I expect you don't hear it because of all the other CPU and case fans you have; I have no CPU or case fans so can clearly hear it.

The only way its to unlock the BIOS, with KGB or any other BIOS editor you can unlock from 0% to 100%.

KGB wouldn't work for me.

Last edited:
Honestly, your post is kinda surprising. You'd have to be really nitpicky (no offense or anything ;) ) to not like the noise levels of the idle MSI gamer cards.

The low noise was a key purchasing point. But it's not low enough for me. The rest of my PC is utterly silent - no fans, no nothing - and there are no other noise sources in the room, so it is decidedly audible.

Of course that doesn't answer your question, so - you can't adjust it without a different BIOS from my understanding. I remember reference 680s had a similar fan cap at the low end, and required a different BIOS for adjustment beyond that. I highly doubt any BIOS will allow you to shut the fans off in a fan profile, either. What method worked on the 660? Just curious. I've not seen a BIOS that allows fans to be 0%? Wouldn't that be worrisome even at idle?

If the fan doesn't need to be running why should it be running? Why should it run at 34% when (say) 10% will do? I used KGB with my 660 Ti and set the minimum at 0% and it generally stayed between 0% and 10% when idle, sometimes more when I'd been enthusiastic with the central heating. Note that I live in a cold part of the world.

If you have an MSI branded card you might be able to do that with MSI AfterBurner.

Dropping the fans on a $600+ video card... You're definitely headed to:

xISadm0.gif

That's interesting. Kepler BIOS Tweaker indicates that the minimum fan is 20%, but Afterburner won't let me reduce it below 34%.

I'm using KBT 1.26 which is the latest I've found.

thats the lastest version of KBT, if you have issues with AB, try with EVGA precision X they are pretty similar in the fan control but sometimes precision X work much better than AB... anyway save the original Bios backup and flash the newer with less than 20%. there are other things that can't be changed, some manufacturers set a physical limit for the fans that can't be regulated..

I have the same problem here with my ASUS GTX 760 Mini. The minimum fan speed by default is 39% which is about 1400rpm. At idle it is way too loud compared to the rest of my system (Noctua fans, SeaSonic Platinum PSU)
I've tried all the stuff found on the web. Flashed many times with modified BIOS (Kepler BIOS Tweaker+nvflash), flashed with BIOSes from other vendors (which leads to a total glitch on the screen, but who cares)
All the tools from GPUTweak to Afterburner show Minimum speed as 39%, no matter what!
It looks like my GPU simply ignores that Fan Speed Range numbers written in the BIOS. As a note, Boost and Base clocks can be changed and worked fine.
What else I can do? :confused: Please help me out guys!

I have the same problem here with my ASUS GTX 760 Mini. The minimum fan speed by default is 39% which is about 1400rpm. At idle it is way too loud compared to the rest of my system (Noctua fans, SeaSonic Platinum PSU)
I've tried all the stuff found on the web. Flashed many times with modified BIOS (Kepler BIOS Tweaker+nvflash), flashed with BIOSes from other vendors (which leads to a total glitch on the screen, but who cares)
All the tools from GPUTweak to Afterburner show Minimum speed as 39%, no matter what!
It looks like my GPU simply ignores that Fan Speed Range numbers written in the BIOS. As a note, Boost and Base clocks can be changed and worked fine.
What else I can do? :confused: Please help me out guys!

try with KGB instead of Kepler Bios Tweaker.. KGB will do automatically and also will unlock full range of RPM for the fans.. i've used both KGB and KBT with my 780 never had single issue with the fans..

Pretty sure the minimum is 34% or what have you since any lower the fans won't reliably spin up. Of course if the card gets warm enough it should eventually spin up.

Some components may require airflow at idle? That would be my first concern. I'd rate it as a low risk, but still a risk. Or perhaps they can't spin up quick enough to match the card's near instant ramp up to max heat output. I am sure the metal is minimized on the heatsink for both heat dissipation and cost.

Pretty sure the minimum is 34% or what have you since any lower the fans won't reliably spin up.

Yup, since they're probably not PWM fans, 34% is probably hard coded in as a safe minimum speed to ensure the fans are actually spinning.

Yup, since they're probably not PWM fans, 34% is probably hard coded in as a safe minimum speed to ensure the fans are actually spinning.
Nope. Minimum is 39% (1400rpm), max speed is about 3600rpm. And most likely the fan is PWM - it connected via mini 4-pin cable. The actual fan model is Everflow T129215SU.

Back